~Chapter 11~ Falling

3rd Person's POV 

Nightmare sat down on the edge of the cliff, his goo slowly dripping away. He looked down to his  pale, white boney hands. He let out a long sigh as a tear makes its way down his face. He was ashamed of this form, it brought back too many bad memories. He lifted up his hand to the starry night sky, examining the stars. He pretended like he could grab them and hold them close. His golden crown seemed to give off a reflection of the stars, complimenting the atmosphere. 

Nightmare closed his eyes as the memories start to play inside his head, the horrible memories. 

~Flash-Back~ 

Nightmare stood in front of the corrupted tree, no more golden apples just black ones. He didn't mean to do this, he just wanted to prove he could protect the golden apples too but it seemed he was too full of jealousy of his brother. He turned around to see the villagers making their way to the tree, shouting words at him like 'monster' and 'disgusting'. They started to blame him for the corruption of the tree, some of them looked ready to fight him. Dream appeared, tears fell down Dream's face as Dream looked at his brother and the tree in pure shock. Dream stood in front of the villagers to try and stop them from hurting his brother but the villagers pushed past him and started to run at Nightmare. 

Out of pure panic, Nightmare ate the black apple and he continued to eat more until there were none left. He coughed up a black substance as pain erupted through out his whole body. Tentacles sprouted from his back as he screamed in pain, tears were mixing in with the black goo. 

~End Of Flash-Back~ 

He quickly opened his eyes as he gasped for air, he hated that memory, he hated it so much. He looked back to Error to see him still asleep peacefully. He sighed and let out a small smile, at least Error was happy. Was this his happy ending? No, it couldn't happen this fast. Nightmare softly swayed his body to the calming breeze. 

He heard soft foot steps behind him, he chuckled knowing that Error was awake but then he felt himself get pushed off the cliff. He fell down to his death while looking up to see who pushed him, a shadowy glitchy figure was standing on top of the cliff. He screamed for Error, the shadowy figure disappeared. He was close to the ground, Error looked down to Nightmare and his face showed so many emotions, fear, guilt, sadness, anger, scared. 

Error launched his strings to Nightmare, hoping to save him but would the strings make it in time? 

"When he died, all things soft and beautiful and bright would be buried with him."
― Madeline Miller