Chapter 4

I knew I should leave but I felt drawn to it. It felt like something was pulling me towards it. I hadn't been here since the night my parents told me about Cora dying.

          I walked over to the house. The porch creaked under my feet. I opened the door and walked inside. I remember what it used to look like.

          It used to be beautiful, hardwood floors throughout the house. The furnishings were top notch, not modern but more of an elegant vintage vibe. And it wasn't too fancy. It couldn't be with a bunch of high energy kids running around.

          I walked up the stairs, letting my hand scrape against the rail. It used to be smooth, it used to be a beautiful house.

          I turned and before I knew it I was in Cora's room. I remember every detail that used to be here before the fire turned it black. I sighed.

          "I really miss you." I spoke softly.

          I stood there for a few moments and remembered all the times we'd play together. She was the closest thing I had to a sister, other than Hallie, but I didn't meet Hallie until after the fire.

          Cora burned to death, and it physically hurt me to think about it like that. I had to push that thought aside, to keep myself calm.

          I walked out of the room and trotted down the stairs. I hadn't realized till then I wasn't wearing shoes, or socks. I walked out the front door, but I just stood on the front porch for a minute.

          I placed my hand on one of the columns and let the memories take me to another world, to a happier time.

          "Now you're just doing it to piss me off." I heard his voice.

          My eyes shot open and I saw him leaning against a black Camaro. The moon was bright enough so I could see the slight smirk plastered on his face.

          "I woke up over there, and then I went to..." I trailed off.

          "Went to what?"

          "Pay my respects, to Cora." I shut my eyes for a moment to collect myself, "Anyway I was just leaving."

          I walked off but he gently took my arm his hand, this time I didn't fight it. Mostly because I was too emotionally and physically drained to pick a fight.

          "That's three times."

          "I know you won't shut up about it."

          He chuckled, "And you still haven't told me your name."

          It slightly hurt me to think he didn't remember me, but then again I'm not eleven anymore.