Chapter 26

•            •            •            •

Stiles and I were in the elevator, I had completely abandoned the idea of shoes and my ankle was beginning to throb again. I tried to hoist myself up on the railing just to relieve some of the pressure but it only made me wince for the third time since we got on the elevator. Stiles looked over to me, shaking. I wasn't sure if it was fear of everything that's been happening or because he was cold since he had given me his jacket, since the leather jacket Derek had given me wasn't giving me enough warmth while walking barefoot most of the way here. I sniffled again feeling a cold coming on, I absentmindedly rolled my eyes in irritation. Both at my own body and the elevator for taking so long. It was supposed to be faster than the stairs, so why did it feel so slow. Why was everything moving in slow motion?

I glanced at Stiles, who was more antsy than me. He stood closer to the doors but kept glancing at me to make sure I was alright. He kept wringing his hands, his foot tapping impatiently against the floor. Neither of us spoke. We barely even spoke on the way here. The only noise in the elevator was the sound of it inching up to the 4th floor. I leaned my head against the wall pulling my two jackets closer to my body. I glanced up when the elevator dinged but it had only hit the second floor. Stiles let out a frustrated groan, looking like he was ready to punch the wall.

"We should've taken the fucking stairs." He mutters under his breath.

I look at him through the reflection in the elevator doors. I only nod, not trusting my voice or what was left of my cognitive abilities. He watched me through the reflection too, sending me a small smile before looking down at his hands. He glances up again as a another sound tells us we are at the third floor. He nods to no one in particular, turning around to hold his hand out for me. I grab his arm, leaning more weight on him than I had before. Showing him just how much worse my ankle was getting. He slipped a hand around my waist to better hold me up.

It beeped again letting us know we had finally reached the 4th floor. Stiles scrambled out of the elevator, still hoisting me up, as the door cracked open. He pushed against it as if his brute force would get it to open faster. We both rushed forward, as best we could, towards Lydia's room. I could see her. Her body mangled and covered in wires and tubes. One of my best friends was barely holding on. The sheriff got in our way as we approached her room. The force of Stiles being stopped by his dad, almost caused me to fall but I was caught by Jackson who ran over the moment he saw me.

"You know what? It's good that we're in a hospital, because I'm gonna kill you." Stilinski barks at Stiles, trying to keep a low voice but failing miserably.

"I'm-I'm sorry." Stiles chokes out beginning to motion behind him, "I lost the keys to my jeep. I had to run all the way here-"

"Stiles, I don't care!" Stilinski yells, no longer trying to keep a low voice.

Stiles remained unfazed as he looked past his dad to Lydia, "Is she gonna be okay?" He asks with an unsteady voice.

Stilinski looks behind himself to see Natalie Martin stroking her daughters hair. He lets out a sigh before looking back to Stiles, he seemed more stable now than before, "They don't know." He answers honestly, "Partially because they don't know what happened. She lost a lot of blood, but there's something else going on with her."

            My brow furrowed at his words, causing me to step forward away from Jackson, "What do you mean something else?"