40: Confessions

• Dedicated to LoveHopeBeauty

“What’s going on?” were my mother’s words as we all entered my house. All of our heads were down. Craig and I drove in front while Kent and Katie tagged along behind us in his truck after he dropped the girl he was with off at home. He had seen the whole scenario go down as well.

I mean who hadn’t?

We drove all over our town trying different locations where Jake could’ve run off to, even asked people if they had seen his car! Nobody said anything about seeing him and as we left buildings we could hear the murmurs from students in our school.

“Those are the two!”

“I heard they’re like brother and sister.”

“That’s his best friend’s little sister.” For crying out loud we’re twins and I was like a minute behind Jake!

“That’s just gross.”

“Can you believe someone like him went for someone like her?”

“Craig’s actually settling down? Ha! He’s doing it just to get with her.”

They continued on, all awful. I had tears welling up in my eyes by the time we were out the doors.

“Don’t let them get to you.” Katie mumbled as she rubbed my back in a soothing manner. I tried hard to wipe the tears from my eyes, but they kept coming back each time someone said something.

“Is what we’re doing that wrong?” I wondered aloud. Craig grasped my hand as we came to a red light.

“Don’t you dare let them get to you! We’re two people who fell for one another. It’s not like any of them haven’t had it happen to them. It’s not like we could suppress these feelings for any longer than we already had. They just have to except it and if they don’t, well, screw them.” The put a small smile onto my lips, but it eventually faded as we continued driving and searching for my brother.

By the time the sky grew dark and dust had fallen we decided to head home, everyone driving back to my house. That’s when we opened the door and came face to face with my parents. What was I supposed to tell them? Lies weren’t going to work anymore and I didn’t want anyone else hurt or angry. The truth needed to be told, to everyone.

“Can we all sit down?” I asked quietly. My mother’s eyebrows furrowed in question, but she nodded. We all turned, heading towards the living room.

Nobody looked up when my father asked, “Where’s Jake?” His hand reached for the remote and he pressed the power button. We all took seats around the room, Craig sitting next to me and Katie and Kent and the leather chair in the corner.

“Rae Ann Daniels, what is going on?” My mother’s voice cut through the silence, but again none of us talked. Her voice was soft, but stern as she looked directly at me in confusion. Taking a deep breath I tried to imagine the worst possible way this could go down. Maybe if I prepared myself for it, everything else wouldn’t be so bad, even the worst possible thing.

When my father cleared his throat, I looked up at the both of them.

“Jake’s disappeared.” That probably should’ve been my first words when I came in the house, but instead I decided on using it as in icebreaker. Maybe if my parents were worried about Jake, Craig and I wouldn’t be such a big deal.

At first my mother narrowed her eyes as if trying to see if we were lying, but when nobody said another word her eyes went wide with realization.

“What do you mean your brother is gone?”

“Dad, we looked everywhere! I mean the whole town! Nobody’s seen him anywhere!” The tears welled up in my eyes.

“Why, what happened?” As my mother asked this, Craig and I looked at one another. My throat, for the millionth time, had gone dry. “Rae, Craig?” I squeezed my eyes shut, a tear dripping down my cheek. Craig’s words echoed in my head,