39: Caught

• Dedicated to LoveHopeBeauty

Never in a million years would I have seen this coming, would I have expected this all to go down. Craig and I liking one another, us actually starting to date! It would’ve been one giant joke if I had thought about it back when I was little and swore that I’d never like Craig again for more than that little crush I had on him as a kid. Even worse was how Jake found out… it wasn’t how either of us wanted it to happen…

“Jake?” I whispered, pulling away from Craig.

At that moment I think my life was starting to end. My heartbeat picked up faster than it had ever gone before. I could hear it beat erratically in my ears, feel it in my chest. My palms became clammy and my throat parched. No words seemed to surface as I tried to dampen my suddenly dry lips. It wasn’t supposed to happen like this.

“What the hell are you doing with my sister?!” His teeth clenched along with his hands which balled into fists at his sides.

Craig stepped forward, pushing me behind him slightly. Hiding me from Jake’s sight as he started saying, “Jake, man, you’ve got to let me explain-” but he was cut off abruptly.

“Let you explain what? That you’re sleeping with my sister?!” Heads were turned and our whole ‘little’ scene became a huge show for everyone to see.

This conversation that I had planned on having in our own house with just Jake, Craig and I suddenly was being watched by the whole theater. Something that was supposed to be talked about in private wasn’t so confidential anymore.

“No! That’s not what we’re doing!” Craig shot back, taking another few steps closer to Jake.

“Oh so you’re what, in love? You’re dating? Planning on getting married? Stop lying to me, you asshole!” Jake growled.

“Shit!” My head turned as I noticed Katie by the bathroom doors. She hurried over to him, gripping his arm tightly, obviously afraid of what he might do.

“Do you see this Katie?! I was waiting for you just to see these two with one another!” Katie didn’t say a word as she stared back at me with frightful eyes. She didn’t have to say a word; I knew she was already sorry. “Katie?” My gaze shifted from her to Jake who looked between the two of us.

“Jake-” Again, Craig was cut off before even being heard.

“Oh shut up, will you? You’re an asshole who uses girls and then leaves them don’t pretend that you don’t! You’ve probably slept with half the girls in our highschool, in our town!”

I noticed out of the corner of my eye some girls smirk at that comment which made my own hands clench in anger.

“Katie, did you know about this?” Once again, Katie remained silent. Her eyes fell onto the floor, finding it better to look at than our situation. Suddenly Jake’s voice got quiet almost as if he was done yelling. “You knew?” Katie eyes closed as she bit her lip just as Jake yanked his arm from her grasp.

My prayer for the yelling to stop wasn’t answered as Jake proceeded forward.

He stepped towards Craig so that they were face to face and then shoved a finger into his chest as he yelled, “What the hell is going on inside that dumbass head of yours?! She’s my freaking sister! She’s like a sister to you for crying out loud! This is all wrong! What’s wrong with you?”

“Stop yelling at him!” I snapped. Heads were turned in my direction, eyes watching me intensely. “This isn’t his entire fault, okay?! We’re in this together. Craig’s changed! He’s not the same man whore you’re used to!”

“Just stop, Rae! You’re at the same level he is. He’s like an older brother to you! That’s just sick!”

A few ‘ew’s fell from the lips of people watching and listening.