35: Friends

• Dedicated to ForeverMakesMeCry

“You little whore!” Katie yelled, laughing as she rolled over and shoved her hand into the bowl of popcorn we had made.

“Hey! It’s not like I meant for it to happen!” I told her, defending myself. I did same as her and dropped my hand into the plastic bowl. We had decided on a bowl instead of just two separate bags because we’d be able to access it better.

“But it happened and you were still with Kent.” She told me, placing a few kernels into her mouth, chewing on them softly.

“I know, and I feel bad for that.” I told her honestly, letting my hand close around the puff balls in between my fingers. I made sure I was careful enough not to crush any of the buttery goodness that lay in my palm.

“So, did he find out about that?” I shrugged.

“Don’t think so, not yet at least. I’ve got to tell him sometime, but it kind of feels like he still likes me.” I told Katie, popping some pieces of popcorn into my mouth. As I chewed I remembered how this week had been different than the ones past.

Kent had offered to walk me to class a few times and I had to decline. He’d sit by me in lunch and even call me, wanting to hang out. I mean we did break up rather quickly, not getting as much closure as couples usually do when they mutually break-up.

“Was it a mutual break-up?” Katie asked, interrupting my thoughts. I bit my lip as I thought about it.

Sighing I shook my head. “I guess not. I mean it was mostly me. I just think that Kent wanted to make me happy, but I don’t think he is.” Katie nodded, understanding where I was coming from.

“That’s how it was with Ben.”

“You mean Brad?” I questioned, picking up the remote for the television and turning the volume up a bit.

“No. I already told you about me and Brad breaking up. Ben and I were after Brad and before Zac.” My jaw dropped, a few popcorn pieces falling from my hand and mouth. “Ew, Rae!”

“Zac?”

Katie nodded as if nothing was wrong, then she proceeded to watch the movie.

How come I had no idea about how many guys she was with?

“Because you were so caught up in your hunky dory boy-friend.” My eyes cast down on her as she sprawled out on the floor.

“Wha-”

“You say a lot of stuff out loud, Rae. You should probably get that checked out or something.” My lips curled into a scowl as I stared at her, my cheeks reddening a bit, embarrassed about saying that out loud and the fact that I was so caught up with Craig that I hadn’t really asked what Katie was doing or who she was with.

“Was Zac before or after New Years?” I wondered, looking down at Katie.

“Oh, he was before. I think around Thanksgiving or something… can’t really remember. New Years was a totally different story.” She said, starting to get quieter as she made her way towards the end of her comment.

Immediately, gross images filled my head and I shook the thoughts out, trying to find something else to think about.

“I think we should talk about something else. That night wasn’t the greatest memory I have.” I informed her, remembering that night when I came home and when I woke up the next morning, finding her and my brother walking out of his room together.

“Oh that was just the start.” She mumbled between bits of popcorn. My hands slammed up against my ears.

“Stop it!” I yelled at her, shaking my head. Thankfully she chose to laugh instead of continue on with her disgusting encounters with my brother. I removed my hands from my ears when she told me she’d stop.