22: Holiday Fun

“I love it!” Katie said, smiling like crazy. I glanced up to see her holding up a pink and white blouse that Jake had gotten her.

“I was hoping so. I’m not so good at picking things out for girls.” Ian started laughing like crazy with Craig and Jared, obviously making fun of the fact that Jake didn’t normally get girls gifts. He wasn’t really the type of guy to date a girl long enough to actually buy them a gift. I couldn’t help, but giggle also.

I suddenly felt someone’s hand on my shoulder and I looked up to see my mother. She was smiling like she always was. It was contagious too. She made an epidemic with it. It would just spread from one person to another. I guess all smiles were.

“Thank you.” She said, pulling me into a quick hug. I had gotten her a pair of shoes that I had seen her totally gawk at during one of our days out and we were passing a little boutique in the city.

“No problem.” I told her. “You deserve them.”

We were almost finished opening gifts when I came to Kent’s gift. It was a medium sized box and I couldn’t help, but wonder what was in it. The wrapping paper was a simple Christmas design with a Christmas tree and gifts under it repeating all over. I picked at the tape slowly knowing that his eyes were watching me. It scraped off slowly and then I moved to the other side.

“Geez Rae, it’ll be Halloween by the time you finish opening it.” Jake commented. I couldn’t help, but laugh and then I pulled at the paper more forcefully. It came off easily and then laid in my lap a navy blue box. It was kind of heavy, but not too heavy. I shook it pretending to think of what it was, but I was really just wasting time to get Kent anxious. I knew he really wanted to see my face when I opened it.

“Rae.” Kent groaned and I laughed again, stopping my act and pulling the top off of the box.

There in the red and green tissue paper was a dark brown suede pea coat. My jaw dropped slightly as I pulled the winter coat from the box that it was in. I didn’t know how he fit it in there, but it totally threw me off.

“Do you like it?” Kent asked. I looked over at him and smiled wide.

“I absolutely love it!” I told him, wrapping my arms around him and giving him the biggest hug. When we pulled away I gave him a sweet kiss. His arms slithered around my waist and held me against him for a few seconds longer and then we both pulled apart.

“I’m glad.” He mumbled showing off his amazing smile. I pulled the jacket out and far enough so I could see all of it. It was so soft and it looked really warm. “I got you a medium because I really didn’t know your size.” I laughed.

“A medium should be just fine.” I quickly undid the buttons and slid my right arm into its sleeve and then the left into its sleeve. It fit perfectly. The hem came to my hips and the sleeves came just to the ends of my wrists. I quickly did up the buttons and then turned to show him.

“Looks great.” He told me, pecking my lips quickly again not wanting to stay too long in front of everyone like some couple had been doing the whole night.

“Thank you.” I told him undoing the buttons. I couldn’t wear it in the house. I’d sweat to death with the heat and the fireplace on. I was just comfortable in my long-sleeved dress. I folded it neatly and set it on the rest of my pile of clothes.

I had a few other pieces of clothing from people. I had gotten a pair of jeans I had wanted from Katie, a cardigan from James and a sweatshirt from Jared. Jake had gotten me a scarf and tank-top I had seen and wanted back in the summer before school had started. I got some other gifts like a camera from my parents and a pair of sunglasses from Ian.