21: Christmas Eve Party

I tried not to stare, but not speaking to Kent was causing me to go insane. It was almost Christmas and it sucked trying to figure out if I should get him a gift or not. I wanted to get him something, but I didn’t want to feel like an idiot when he didn’t get me anything because we weren’t talking…

“Why don’t you just go and talk to him?” James asked, nudging me.

“Because…” I whined, “I don’t want to explain to him why Craig kissed me and why I didn’t tell him.” Katie just stared at me. “What?” I asked, looking down to see if something was wrong with my outfit or if something was on me.

“Why can’t you just tell him why you kissed Craig?” She asked. I gasped.

“How can you dare say I kissed Craig, it was the total opposite!” I confirmed. Katie and James exchanged looks before both rolling their eyes at me.

“Sure hun, that’s it.” I got angry. How could they think that I, Rae Daniels, would kiss Craig Moore. I snorted.

“You guys are idiots. Get that out of your head. He’s the one who kissed me and I know it because I was the one who encountered it.”

“So answer us this…” I looked over at Katie.

“What?” I asked.

“How come you hid it from Kent when if he kissed you that wouldn’t be such a big deal.” I tried to interrupt her, but she continued, “And! Why didn’t you stop the kiss.” My jaw dropped.

“Katie.” I muttered. She looked over at James whose jaw had dropped.

“You didn’t stop the kiss?” He got out, closing his mouth slightly because he was still in awe.

“Well…” I couldn’t think of a lie. I didn’t know why I didn’t stop the kiss either. Maybe it was because I-

“Maybe she felt something.” Katie pushed, waggling her eyebrows. At that I was disgusted.

“He’s like my brother and my mortal enemy, don’t forget.” I pointed out.

“I think she secretly likes him.” James whispered to Katie.

“She goes up into her room at night and worships him.” Katie agreed.

“Alright you two, enough!” A few people from tables around us turned and stared. Embarrassed, I sat down and tried to hide my flaming cheeks. “I don’t worship Craig and I DON’T like him.” I glared at the two who were giggling at their little comments that I missed when I tried to save my sanity from being taken by those who heard me yell loudly during lunch.

“We’ll stop if you just tell us that you like him.” James told him, biting into his pizza. I rolled my eyes.

“I won’t say it because it’s not true.” Before they could get anymore little zings at me I got up and walked away from the table. I really couldn’t answer their questions except I absolutely did NOT like Craig Moore. Yet if I didn’t like him I would have stopped that kiss and told Kent right away like the trustworthy girlfriend that I wasn’t…

“Hey pretty boy, you’re girl’s here.” I frowned at Craig’s remark. He just winked back at me. Why couldn’t he act like he did the day at the mall? He was so sweet and kind. Nice and… wait! What was I saying? This is Craig I’m talking about. The one that I DON’T like… or so I hope I don’t.

Kent turned around to look up at me. His face didn’t show any emotion and it kind of sucked to see that. I was hoping at least for angry because then I’d know where to go with my explaining. Like explain, or maybe grovel on my knees and plead for him to speak to me. The eyes from the rest of the guys at his table didn’t help either, especially Craig’s blue ones.

“Can we talk?” I asked Kent. The guys drew closer except Jake and Craig, who leaned back in his chair to listen to what I had to say about the mess that he’d created. “Alone?” I added. The guy’s faces dropped as they leaned back and started up a new conversation. I tried my hardest to not look at the blue orbs staring back at me and keep the puppy look in my own.

“Alright.” Kent finally agreed, standing up. Without waiting he started to walk out of the cafeteria. I followed closely behind him. I was trying to think of what to say to him, but my mind was blank. It wasn’t drawing anything up. I cursed myself for not being able to think of anything just in time to walk into someone. I landed on the floor with a ‘humph’. I cursed myself again for not paying attention to where I was walking. When Kent raised an eyebrow and lent a hand I took it graciously.

“Sorry.” I muttered, embarrassed that I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and totally ran into him just to make myself fall over.

“Okay.” At first I thought he was saying okay as in, ‘it’s okay that you just made a total fool of yourself in front of me’, but then I realized he meant it in a ‘okay, explain’ kind of manner.

“Well, you see…” I was still drawing blanks as I bit my lip to try and think harder. Kent leaned casually against the wall in the dark hall we were in and it made me go crazy. He looked so sexy. His eyes didn’t show sexiness though as he stared at me, anxious for my explanation. “Okay, I have no explanation for what I did,” Kent started to get up, but I pushed him back. “But, I want to say I’m sorry. I should’ve told you about the kiss as soon as I ended it.”

Lying doesn’t get you anywhere Rae.

Shut up!

I waited for Kent to say something, but when he didn’t I tried to think of more things to say.

“I didn’t mean anything to happen and I didn’t want to lose you as my boyfriend and friend so I thought if I kept it from you long enough I’d come up with a better explanation than this, but I was wrong to do that.” I paused for effect. I’d watched too many dramas in my lifetime to see that the pause gave them time to think if they should take you back or not right before you ask. I grabbed his hand softly with my own and looked up with oh the so famous puppy eyes and asked, “Can you forgive me?” I wasn’t expecting him to reply so fast with a question I wasn’t ready to answer.

“Just answer me this…” He paused. I didn’t know if it was for effect like I had done or if he was just thinking of his choice of words. Something I totally had forgotten to do in my explanation. “Did you like it?”

“No.” I answered almost immediately. Kent’s face seemed to lighten.

“Positive?” He pushed. I nodded.

“Positive.” I lied. I wasn’t positive if I liked it or not. I mean it was different from kisses I’d had in the past, especially with Kent and all, but it kind of had a spark. Maybe it was just the timing and everything, but I still wasn’t sure if I liked it or not. “So, do you forgive me?” I asked again, looking up to his eyes.

He pulled me close to him before pressing his lips to mine. I couldn’t help, but smile. That meant that he’d forgiven me! Or did it mean the one last kiss before we part and go our own ways? When I felt him nibble slightly on my bottom lip I realized it was the first choice and I was glad. I actually missed his lips on mine. He pulled back to take a breath in and smiled.

“God, you don’t know how much I missed speaking to you.” He said, pecking my lips.

“Well let me just say this.” I pecked his lips back. “You’re really good with the silent treatment. I was going crazy.” He chuckled at my remark.

“I know.” I pushed him a little, but he caught his balance and twirled us around so my back was against the wall so he could kiss me again before the bell rang for the end of lunch.