24: One Last Gift

I groaned, stretching my arms out and arching my back. I heard a few cracks and I smiled to myself. I always loved cracking my back. Well, also my knuckles and neck. I just got the greatest sensation when I cracked every joint in my body. Weird? I agree, but it just made me feel great. I usual crack my knuckles when I’m nervous or bored. It was just something I always did. Jake and my parents thought it was always gross, but I couldn’t help myself.

It was New Years Eve and I couldn’t help, but be super excited to see the ball drop at the party we were going to. Well, Katie insisted I go to with her. I had my whole outfit picked out and everything. I had gone to the mall with James the day before to find matching outfits. I was going to wear a simple baby blue dress that was strapless and went to just above my knees. It was tight at the top, but slowly got looser until it reached the bottom which was very ruffled and flowed nicely.

James ended up buying a baby blue shirt to match my dress. Why we did this? We both had no clue, but it seemed fun at the moment that we decided on buying them both. I didn’t know what he was planning on wearing for pants, but that obviously wouldn’t be matching me.

I pulled my sheets off of my body and stepped onto my bedroom floor. My brown hair was tangled into crazy knots and everywhere. I never knew how crazily I slept until I woke up the next morning and saw my bed head and sometimes my raccoon eyes if I forgot to take my make-up off from the night before.

I tried to comb the snarls out of my hair, but it didn’t work so I gave up and just walked to the bathroom to go take a shower. It was probably the best way to get my hair untangled and to wake me up. The hot steam and water running around me always seemed to wake me up quickly.

“Rae Ann! Hurry your butt up. I have to get in the shower too you know.” I rolled my eyes at my mother’s comment and just continued to brush my hair thoroughly. I hated when she used my middle name. It made my name seem just like a first name, not a middle also. She just had to make Ann my middle name because Jake had Alexander. At least Jake Alexander Daniels didn’t seem like a first and last name. Twins didn’t have to have matching middle names. Only my parents…

I hadn’t even been in the shower that long. I looked around and realized I didn’t have my phone with me so I actually had no clue how long I had been in here. I could’ve been a half an hour for all I knew. Sighing, I set my brush down on the bathroom counter and stared at myself in the mirror.

My eyes were bright green today and my hair actually corporate after I had brushed it all the way through. It had already started to dry in its natural wavy texture. Ignoring it I grabbed my towel and wrapped it around my body so I could let my mom get in.

She was waiting right outside the door as soon as I opened it. I didn’t look at her because I knew from her tone that she was behind for whatever she had to do today.

“Finally!” Jake yelled from his room. He started out the door and then saw the bathroom door close behind my mom. He suddenly cursed under his breath.

“Sorry.” I mumbled. “She just had to get in there.” He muttered a few more things before heading back to his room, probably to continue sleeping.

This whole holiday vacation it was our usual routine to sleep in till 11 or 12, eat and then go wherever we planned on going for the day. We usually went our separate ways and this vacation was the same. I had been with Katie and James or Kent most of the days. We had gone to the mall, the movies, paint balling, etc. Why paint balling? Well, I have no clue, but Kent suggested it and said it would be fun so I made Katie and James come along and we all played. Of course Kent was the best, but Katie came out in last. She freaked out when paint got on her outfit.