27: A Wedding

His words hurt even more because I knew they were true. Kent did love me, but I just couldn’t return the feeling. None of it in the way he had for me. I loved him in a brotherly way, the way I should with Craig, but the way Craig makes me feel is nothing like that, nothing like it’s supposed to be.

The past few days Kent was supportive, but I hadn’t really been around anyone, I was too confused and upset with everything to talk to anyone other than Kent. It had come to the weekend again and I was kind of excited to go out tonight.

“See you there.” Jake said as he passed by the bathroom. I nodded to him, continuing with my make-up. I heard faintly as he trotted down the stairs towards the front door. “Don’t be late either!” He added in before opening the door and closing it tightly.

A friend of the family was getting married and of course we were invited. The wedding was two hours away though so Jake had to leave earlier than I to get there since he was chosen to be in the wedding party. There were too many brides maids for me to be in it. So, luckily for me, that meant I had an extra hour on my hands until I had to leave.

If the weather was good and the sun was shining and it didn’t snow, we were looking at a very nice wedding. Unfortunately, Jake took his car and since my parents were too stubborn to buy me my own, I had to wait until Katie got here to leave.

“Knowing Katie, we will be.” I muttered aloud even though I knew Jake was already off.

I had tried to separate my time evenly, making sure I’d have enough time to do my hair, make-up, put on my outfit and eat before the car ride and wedding ceremony. I figured what I had planned out would work good.

Thirty minutes for my hair, 10-15 for my make-up, 5-10 for my outfit, depending on how long my make-up and hair would take, and then grabbing something quickly to eat here or in Katie’s car to the wedding. My clock had read 2:57 when he had left the house, it now read 3:09 so, I was doing pretty well as I finished up my make-up.

It was pretty and simple. All I had was some gray and purple eyeshadow with light gray eyeliner to bring it together, a soft pink lipstick to make my lips shimmer and some mascara. My dress was lavender at the top and as it progressed downward it faded into a dark violet.

Katie had helped me pick it out when we went shopping for them in the fall just after school had started. We kind of wanted to match so she had gotten one just like it, but in red. It was dark red at the top and reversed mine, going from dark to light instead of light to dark. It went really nice with her hair she had planned on wearing a pair of red pumps that I had along with a dark red lipstick.

We had gone over our outfits so many times it was like we had already been to the wedding.

My hair took less time than I had expected as I set down the curling iron onto the bathroom counter, admiring my brown curls. My bangs didn’t seem to stay where I wanted them to so I fussed a bit, ignoring the door downstairs as I heard it open and then close.

I huffed as my bangs fell again, not staying in the right place. I scrunched my nose as I tried to think of a way to get them to stay the way I wanted them to be. I faintly heard someone call my name and I rolled my eyes.

Couldn’t Katie figure out I was upstairs?

“Up here!” I called to her, not leaving the bathroom as I stared back at my reflection in the mirror. These bangs were going to be pinned back whether they liked it or not so, I grabbed two bobby pins and with one in my mouth, I clipped my bangs up with the first bobby pin and then pulled the second out from my lips’ grasp and reinforced the first one.