04: History Of The Pool

The car door swung open and my body slid out of the car. I could smell the grill out back. Jake was already inside of the house and headed towards the back when a car pulled into the driveway. I raised an eyebrow. The car looked familiar. When the door opened and I saw that red hair I knew who it was.

"Katie!" I yelled running over to her. I gave her a quick hug then turned to her mom. "Hi Mrs. Burns." I said smiling.

"Hello Rae. How are you?" She asked closing the car door.

"Good and you?" I asked politely. Katie rolled her eyes.

She hated it when I was nice to her parents.

"Good. Is your mother out back?" She asked. I nodded.

"Sure is." I answered. She smiled and I looked towards Katie’s dad. We said our 'hello's which followed by a, "My dad's out back." he chuckled and nodded.

"Thanks Rae."

"No problem." I turned to see Katie's shocked face and I laughed. “What?”

"They're so nice to you!" She exclaimed. "It's unnatural. I'm their kid and they aren't that nice to me… like ever! Not even on my birthday!" I couldn't stop myself from laughing. "It's sooo not fair! I mean come on!" Katie pouted and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Oh my goodness Katie. Man! You should see yourself right now." I said taking a few breaths to calm down my laughing.

"Ha-ha very funny!" She walked out the back door and into the backyard, which I followed her into, where the grill’s smell filled the air.

"I still think it's not fair." Katie mumbled taking a sip from her drink which she had finally got after her rant about how annoying her parents are and so on.

"Okay Katie... I get it. Can we go swimming now?" I asked her. She gave me the 'look' and I sighed. "Fine I'll get someone else." I muttered.

"No! It's not that it's just that I was thinking… sorry.”

I raised a eyebrow as if asking, “What about?”

“My parents liked Brad and yet Brad and I broke up. My parents were mad for awhile. Do you think that's why?" Katie asked setting her drink on the picnic table as we headed towards the house to change.

"Maybe it is. Wait, when did you break up with Brad?!" I asked confused.

"Oh… I think it was last week." She said looking at her feet.

"And you didn't tell me?!" Now I was kind of mad.

"Are you mad?" She asked me looking up innocently.

"No." I lied, "I just want to know since now he's open and I think he's pretty cute." Katie glared. "Okay I forgot about the no ex's thing. You know it wasn't fair when you dated Frankie after I dated him." I said pointing out the one time in 9th grade. “Besides I was just kidding.”

"Rae that was in 9th grade and come on! Frankie even had Liz that year." Katie said, but quickly her hands flew to her mouth. I turned on my heel and glared at Katie.

"What did Liz do?" I hissed.

"Nothing." Katie croaked, "Forget it. I mean Frankie left our school and he moved to North Dakota. It's all good.” I rolled my eyes and trudged into the bathroom to change.

"Are you wearing your boxers?!" I exclaimed watching as Craig dove under the water's surface. He came up, brushed the hair from his eyes and smirked wildly.

"So what if I am?" He asked and dove back under the water.

"That's disgusting!" I yelled.

"Ouch that hurts my ears!" Henry called covering his eyes.

"Sorry Henry." I said rubbing his back. Henry was the cutest seven years old in the whole entire world! Too bad he had Craig for a brother…

“It’s okay Rae.” Henry said smiling.

“Ok.” I said smiling back.

“Do you want to go in the pool?” Henry asked getting ready to jump. I glanced over at Craig. There were 2 reasons I didn’t want to go swimming with Craig.

1. He was in his boxers for crying out loud! In the pool that almost everyone was swimming in.

2. Him and I with pools... we do not go so well.

“No thank-you.” I told Henry. Henry shrugged and ran towards the pool jumping into the air and making a cannon-ball as he hit the water. The water came up, splashed me and a little bit on the parents. I heard Katie laughing so I turned to look over. She and Jake were splashing water at each other.

"Come on Rae! Come in the pool!" Henry called from the other side of the pool. I frowned and Henry made the cutest pouty face.

I can't say no to him!

"Alright..." I said pushing myself off of the edge of the pool and I took a few steps back.

I was just about ready to run and jump when Henry yelled, "Rae, watch out!" I turned to look behind me, but it was too late. Craig had done it again. When we came up from the water I spit the water out of my mouth and into Craig’s face.

"Ew!" He groaned wiping the spit from his face.

"Serves you right!" I spat at him.

"Alright maybe the rumors of you a good kisser aren't true. Do you just slobber on the guys?" I smacked my hand against the water sending a wave at him.

"I. Hate. You." I said pausing and then I swam over to Henry who was laughing. "Oh you think that's funny huh?" Henry stopped laughing and smiled.

"Maybe..." He said stepping a few steps into the shallow end so if I charged him he could run.

"Then fine. If you thought it was funny I'm not going to be your girlfriend." I said turning and crossing my arms against my chest.

"No!" Henry cried. I turned to look at him acting like I was mad.

"So… it wasn't funny?" I asked. He shook his head 'no'.

"Craig is mean!" He yelled having Craig turn to smirk.

"Thank-you!" I said giving him a hug.