42: Sorries

The bedroom door was thrown open by none other than me, causing the two of them to freeze. “Katie, I know you just got here, but… out, now.” I didn’t have to say anymore. Her lips fell into a frown, but she slowly got up from where she was and made her way towards the door.

“See you at school?” She asked hopefully. I grunted a reply making her sigh and continue down the stairs.

“Will you just get out Rae? I’m not in a mood to talk.” Jake mumbled as he threw his soccer ball at one of his walls, watching it bounce off, catching it and repeating the same thing.

My temper was hanging by a string and that string was very thin. I lunged forward, caught the ball mid-air and threw it onto his floor.

“No! We are talking right now. You’ll talk to Katie, but not me? What the hell Jake?!”

“She isn’t my little sister and she didn’t get with my best friend!” He growled, jumping up from his spot on his bed.

“For the last time, we’re the same age!”

“I don’t give a shit about that!” He took a step forward and so did I. “It’s the fact that you went behind my back to hook up with my best friend who is an asshole for one, which I know firsthand since well, he’s my best friend, basically a brother which is how he should treat you! As a sister, not some slut!” My blood was boiling at this point.

“Did you just call me a slut?” I asked slowly, fisting clenching at my sides.

“Well, let’s see. Every girl that gets with Craig is one, you’ve said it yourself multiple times so technically, I’m using your own words.” His eyes showed his anger and I could tell you that mine probably looked exactly like his at the moment.

“I’m your fucking sister and you’re going to call me a slut? Do you even know me?! I’m a freaking virgin, okay? Craig and I haven’t slept together and it’s none of your business if we have, either.”

That’s when he flipped. I know I was scared of Jake at the movie theater when him and Craig got into their fight, but at this moment I think I was even more terrified and if I wasn’t as angry with him as I was, I definitely would’ve ran out of the room and hidden in my own, but I just stood there as he whipped around and grabbed the lamp off of his bedside table and chucked it at his wall.

“It’s none of my business?!” The ball he had earlier was chucked at the wall as well, flying across the room and bouncing off of a few other things, stuff on his desk being knocked off. “None of my business?!” He let out a laugh, one of the ones that an evil witch lets out in a Disney movie, but with much more evil. This laugh was followed by a punch to the wall. This is when I yelped, jumped and rushed forward to grab him. At this point his knuckles were red and I knew that bruises would start to form by the hole left in the wall, but he just continued yelling as if it didn’t hurt him a bit. “You’re my god damn sister. I’m suppose to protect you from assholes and jerks like him and don’t you go saying he’s changed and that he treats you like a princess because I know Craig and you can’t just change someone like him in a few weeks! It doesn’t happen like that.”

I gulped down the saliva that had formed in my mouth, a lump sticking in my throat. “But he has-”

“No,” he cut me off, “I can tell you right now he hasn’t. He’s just using you to get what he wants and I’m not going to let that happen to you. I’d freaking disown him if he ever hurt you. I will disown him!” I know it was the wrong moment for this, but my heart warmed at that. Jake was my brother and whether I liked it or not, he was going to look out for me as much as he could. Probably the wrong moment again, but I took another step forward and wrapped my arms around him. He jerked back for a second, not expecting my sudden movement.