Chapter 39

I didn't wait for Greyson anymore. I ran as fast as I can to the meadows and waited for him to arrive. I looked around the meadows, the little waterfall, the hills behind the trees. I'll miss this so much. I quickly wiped the tears falling down my face.

"Cameron."

I turned around and Greyson walked slowly towards me. I ran to him and wrapped my arms around him as soon as I was in his arms I couldn't help but sob on his chest.

"Cameron what happened?" His voice full of concern.

"I'm going to miss you terribly." I said hugging him tighter.

"Cameron," His voice sounding more worried. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm flying to Chicago later." I said looking up at him.

"Wait what?" He cupped my face and looked down on me. "Please tell me you're joking."

I shook my head.

"Oh my God." He let go of my face and braced me closer. "I can't believe this is happening."

"I'm leaving later at eight."

"Just ten hours." He looked down on me and wiped my tears. "I've got ten hours left with you." A tear escaped his eye so I reached up to dry it with my thumb. "I'm scared that I'll never see you again Cameron. Why does it have to be like this?"

"I'll chat and text you everyday. I'll video chat you everyday too and I'll come here at every chance I get. Greyson, it'll be like I never went away."

"That's not enough, I'll never get contented with not having you with me. You'd get hurt and I won't be there to comfort you until you stop crying. I'll walk to school everyday without you. How could that be like you never went away? If I never even get contented with having you next to my house and not next to me how could I ever get contented with having you away from me?"

He was right, it was impossible to feel like I never went away when I'm so far away from him.

He let go of me and looked at the skies running his hand through his hair. He looked back down at me and said, "This might be the last time I'll see you in the flesh and I got nine hours with you left. I don't know when I'll be able to do this again."

"Do what?"

"This."

Greyson held my face with one hand and held my back on the other. He leaned in, looked into my eyes then suddenly... began to kiss me. I closed my eyes and tangled my fingers in his hair, pulling him closer to me. This kiss wasn't the same with our previous one, playful and light, this was something more passionate. I tiptoed higher and moved my hands to his shoulders until he hoisted me a little higher so he won't bend so low. A tear fell down my cheek at the thought of the probability of this being our last.

He finally pulled up then rested his forehead on mine. His cheeks went on full blown crimson while his lips, his bruised lips, were the same color as his cheeks and his breaths became heavier.

"I want you to trust me." He managed to say between breaths.

"On what?"

"On giving me a chance to work this out, this relationship we have. I know you feel the same way too Cameron and I just want you to trust me." He said seriously.

"I already do, and I always did." I smiled.

"Liar." He smiled then kissed my forehead.

"This is the happiest day of my life." He said as he took my hand to his. I looked up at him then he said. "Well, next to me seeing you arrive in our neighborhood."

I chuckled.

"Do you want to say goodbye to the others?" Greyson asked.

The smile on my face faded. Why did he have to remind me of this?

"I'm sorry." He bit his lip.

"Its alright. Come on." I smiled weakly.

We went back to his house to get the car.

"Will you say goodbye to my family?" Greyson asked as he took the keys from his bedside table. "You've been a part of our family too Cameron. They really like you, especially my mom."

"I'm not really great with goodbyes."

"Don't worry, I'll be there."

We went downstairs and went to the living room where his whole family were.

"Where are you going?" Lisa asked.

"We'll be going out to Jelly's house." He said.

"Have fun." Lisa smiled at the both of us.

"Mom, Cameron has something to say."

They all looked at me which made me uncomfortable. I looked at Greyson and he just looked at our intertwined fingers.

"Please tell me you're not pregnant." Tanner teased.

"No, no I'm not." I smiled. "I just wanna say goodbye."

"Goodbye? You're leaving?" Alexa asked.

"Yeah, I-um" Why does it have to be so hard? "I'm going home to Chicago. I don't know when I'll be coming back here but I promise that I'll try my best to visit here every so often."

"Oh honey." Lisa stood up and hugged me.

I hugged her back and everyone came hugging me too. We all had this big group hug that made me feel so happy inside. Its like they've become my second family.

"I'll miss you." Lisa said as everyone broke away.

"I'm going to miss you too." I said smiling.

She let go of me and patted my shoulder. "You be good okay? Just give us a call whenever you're free to do so."

"I will." I said.

Greyson laid his arm on my shoulder. "Okay okay, we'll go now. Bye!" He then directed me to the door.

"Bye!" I said.

We went out the door and jumped in the car. The both of us didn't speak the whole ride. The air felt thick with sadness so I opened the window, I couldn't hardly breathe thinking about what's bound to happen. This wasn't my decision but in a way, I was hurting him.

I felt a hand rest on mine. I looked at him and he sighed, his eyes still locked to the road.

"It surprises me how I can't feel anything anymore." He said. "Nothing hurts anymore."

I just looked at him without saying anything. Of course he's lying.

"The painkillers are really working great."

"Good for you." I tried to smile.

"Except it doesn't numb out the pain of you leaving." He looked at me for a split-second before looking back at the road.

Just like that, my heart started to shatter into a million pieces.

We arrived at Jelly's house a couple of minutes later. Jelly, Nathalie and Jacob played basketball at the backyard.

"Hey!" Nathalie greeted as she ran towards us with Jelly and Jacob trailing behind her.

"Are you alright now?" Jacob asked.

"Yeah, much much better." Greyson said.

"That's great, man!" Jacob said patting his shoulder.

"So what brings the both of you here?" Jelly asked as she sat down on a bench. "Well, considering the fact that both of you came here at the middle of a game. You never come here unless we call you."

"That's not true!" Greyson gasped, mocked hurt.

"Whatever." Jelly rolled her eyes.

"Well I just wanted to say goodbye to you guys before I leave." I said.

"You're leaving!?" Nathalie asked.

"I'll be going back to Chicago." I said looking at my hands.

"But you just got here!" Jacob said.

"I've been here for almost two years now." I said.

"But that's like just being here for almost a month. We didn't even get to graduate together." Jacob pouted.

"I'll be coming back, from time to time. I'll talk to you guys all the time I promise."

"I'll miss you so much." Jelly said as she hugged me.

"I'll miss you too."

"Be good little dork." Jacob patted my head.

"I will." I smiled.

"Come back here often, we'll be waiting for you." Nathalie said smiling.

"I will whenever I can."

Greyson and I went to Nathalie and Jelly's bathroom as soon as they got back into the game. We pulled the blankets to the floor - with their affirmation - and played some of Jelly's old vinyls. We laid on our back as we sang with the song.

"How long will you be gone?" Greyson asked.

"I hope not long enough for us to start getting sick with just video chatting and short visits."

"I won't get tired of talking to you, especially when you're away." He was up on his elbow now.

I felt my cheeks go all shades of red. "I know."

"Just when things start to get better," He laid back down again. "life becomes a butt and turns it all around."

I put my arm around him and intertwine my legs with his. I rest my head on his chest as his arm wraps around me. My heart shatters a lot more every second I feel his heartbeat on my cheek. Somewhere inside of me I knew I'd never be able to come back here and all my promises of visiting here every now and then were empty. I knew that this maybe the last time I'll ever get to him this close.

"Do you want to get a snow cone?" He randomly asked.

I looked at him and he smiled. "Well, its your last day here and I want to remind you of when we first went out on your first week here in Edmond."

We both sat up and he tucked the hair covering my face behind my ear.

"So you won't be entirely sad. I don't want to remember this day to be sad. You just said yes to me and all we do is mope around." He stood up an looked down on me. "Come on, let's go outside."

"Outside is scary." I moaned. I felt too lazy to stand up so I just looked at him hoping to change his mind.

"Outside doesn't scare you and outside is nice. Get up you lazy peanut." He tried pulling me up but failed miserably. He didn't even get to lift me up an inch.

"See, even my body doesn't cooperate."

His eyebrows began to furrow and he suddenly clutched his head. Panic surged through me and I stood up too quickly.

"Greyson!" I looked into his eyes and said, "No stay awake just wait, I'll get some medicine."

Before I even got to come out of the room he grasped my arm. I looked back at him and he was smiling. "Gotcha!" He winked.

I slapped his arm hard, furious at him for making me worried.

"Ow!" He said rubbing his arm.

"You scared me!"

"I'm sorry." He chuckled. "Now come on, let's get some snow cones."

We went down and said goodbye to the three. We drove down to the snow cone shop at the park ad was greeted by Dana.

"Hello Greyson and Cameron! Two snow cones?" She beamed at us.

"Please." He grinned.

"How are you doing?" She asked.

"We're alright." He smiled. He leaned to her a little closer and whispered something with a smile on his face.

Dana looked at me and with a smile equally big to Greyson's.

"Oh, congratulations honey!" She said as she handed me my snow cone.

I looked at them both, confused.

"What did you tell her?" I asked.

"I told her that on this day, the 19th of February, you officially made me the happiest man alive." He grinned.

I wish I could forget that on this day too, I'll be leaving him. I wish I could forget it too, like how he had forgotten it right now.

I just smiled at him.

He placed his arm around me as we waved her goodbye.

"So where do you wanna go next? Vinyl shops, bookstores, Starbucks, malls, beaches anywhere you want." He chomped on his snow cone.

"The beach sounds nice." I said.

"Well then, let's go to the beach."

As soon as we reached the car Greyson tugged on my sleeve laughing at me.

"What?" I asked.

"You dripped your shirt."

I looked down and saw a purple streak of snow cone all the way down my shirt.

"Oh my gosh!"

"Don't worry, I got you." Greyson brought his handkerchief and wiped my messy face then handed it to me so I can wipe my shirt.

"You're so cute when you're messy." He mumbled.

I looked at him and raised my eyebrow. He just smiled then started the engine.

As soon as the beach came to view from below the road cliffs, I scrolled the window down and reached my hand out feeling the breeze from the beach. I looked at Greyson and he was banging his head while he sang to Queen.

After we bought our swimsuits, we quickly left our things in the car then raced to the sea.

"You lose!" I teased.

"I was here first!" He pouted.

"No you weren't, I was here first!"

We argued on who won like five-year-olds. Until Greyson decided to splash me.

I ran to the deeper side of the sea to splash him more.

"GREYSON STOP IT!" I ran off to the shore when it got too deep for me.

I screamed as I felt Greyson brace me from behind.

"I'm going to eat you!" He imitated the sharks as I squirmed in his arms.

"Let me go!" I said laughing.

"You're not going anywhere." He carried me off back to the sea.

Once we were in the deeper side of the sea, he let me go.

"Your screams are just" Then he made a bursting motion with his hands. "loud!"

I giggled. "You were tickling me!"

He laughed as he looked at our left.

"What are you looking at?" I swam closer to him and looked to the direction where he was looking at.

He wrapped his arms around me then said, "Let's go to that cave."

We settled into the cave and looked out into the horizon. The sun was setting and there we were, laying on our front watching it sink into the ocean.

"I wanted to give you this a long time ago, I just waited for the right moment." He took a ring from his pocket and handed it to me.

The ring had little emerald stones attached to it on all sides and on the inside, a message was engraved.

Soon.

I giggled at the message because it basically was his favorite word: Soon.

"Why are you giggling?" He asked, nervousness evident in his voice.

"Soon." I said. "Why soon?"

"Oh." He looked at his hands playing with the sand then back at me. "I just wanted to always remind you of my promise before, that I was going to take you away from everyone who was hurting you when we grow older and that would be soon. I promise."

I slid the ring to my finger. "Greyson, thank you."

I leaned closer to him and kissed him.