Chapter 1

It was a rainy night. The stars were gone, I could barely see the moon and only the clouds were visible. It was beginning to rain, there were thunderstorms and lightning forming in the dark sky but I didn't run away. I stayed where I am, letting the rain fall on me. I didn't really mind about the lightning, my chances of getting struck by it were one in a million... just like my chances of living a normal life again.

It was just yesterday when my perfect fairy tale life was ruined. My real mom and dad just got separated, my little brother Collin died last week then my dad and I was forced to live back in Edmond. Don't get me wrong, I really love Edmond but I guess I love Chicago more now. The scar from yesterday's tragedy is still fresh, and I think this one is gonna take the longest to heal — a wounded heart.

I turned my back to the sea and started walking towards my dad, he stretched out his arms and tried to hugged me but I refused. I opened the car door, took one last look at the beach that is now empty and hopped in the car. The whole drive was really quiet. When my mom and brother was still with us we used to have so much fun. Singing along with the songs on the radio, my mom and dad laughing to the sound of Collin's voice, secrets revealed and stories shared, it was so much happier back then. But now its all gone.

As soon as we reached my step-mother's house I snatched my bag and walked to the front porch and sat on the hammock. The front door opened and there stood my evil step sister, Janine.

"Hello doofus." She said with a raised eyebrow.

"Hello devil." I snapped.

Then a woman with long black hair and brown eyes stood beside her.

"You must be Cameron, I'm Desiree." The woman introduced.

"So you're my step mom?" I asked.

"Oh don't consider me as your step mom consider me as your real mother." She said with a fake smile.

I stood up and walked towards her. "You will never ever be like my real mom. Obviously you're just like Janine, you're nice to me when dad is around but when he's not, you always make sure that my life will be worse than hell."

Desiree gasped sarcastically. "I will never be like that to you and please remind me to scold Janine for being so mean to you." She said with a devilish smile.

"Let's just see about that." I rolled my eyes, flung my backpack on my back and helped my dad take out the luggage.

"Dad! Let me help you two!" Janine shouted as she was walking towards us.

"No just stay there! We'll be fine." My dad assured.

"Are you sure?" Janine asked.

"Yeah I'm sure!" Dad replied

I'm sure that was all planned by the two witches just to get closer to dad.

After we all got our luggage, Desiree showed us our rooms. Janine led me to my room which is on the corner of the house.

I opened the door and saw that the room's painted in black and green and all my things were in grey, black and green. I sat on the couch near the window and started to unpack. My dad knocked on my door and went in, he sat on the bed and looked at me.

"Cam, I know that this is hard for you but—" Dad said calmly until I interrupted him.

"But what? Its already bad enough that you and mom separated just because of them." I said pointing at the door. "Now I have to live those two witches!? Why did you have to take me with you!? I could have just stayed with mom!" Just then I broke down in tears. My dad scooted closer to me and hugged me.

"I'm sorry, I'm really, really sorry. Your mother and I thought that you'll be more happier with me." He whispered.

I broke our embrace and looked at him. I tried to stay strong and not let any sign of forgiveness show. I turned around and got back to unpacking.

"By the way if it makes feel any better, I was the one who made your room." He said before leaving.

After unpacking I changed my clothes and went back to my couch. I unzipped my backpack and took my iPod out. I plugged the earphones into my ears and closed my eyes. Just as I was falling asleep I heard pebbles being thrown at my window. I looked outside and saw a boy waving at me in which I waved back. He turned around grabbed a notebook. He wrote something down then showed me:

Hi you're new here?

I grabbed my sketching notebook and replied:

Yeah.

Are you Janine's sister?

Yeah why?

I never knew she had a sister.

I get that a lot.

I didn't mean to offend you.

No its fine.

By the way I'm Greyson. And you are?

Cameron.

So see you around?

Sure.

Just as he closed his curtains, I turned around and got back to listening to my iPod. I never knew that someone will have the courage to talk to me since I'm always an outcast everywhere, in the neighborhood, in school, and sometimes in my own house. That weirdo.