{72} - You're My Best Friend

First chapter of the year! Hope 2019 has been good to you guys so far! 💜

"Catherine, I've made a terrible mistake."

Kate sighed deeply, rolling her eyes as she got mentally prepared to hear whatever Gwilym had to say over the phone. She didn't even know why she cared about how Gwilym's plans had gone though, they were not her business, she had gotten what she wanted from him after all. However, it was fun to confirm no one was as good at scheming as her.

"What did you do, Gwilym?".

"See, I didn't keep track on Ben and Belle last night. I got extremely drunk pretty fast, and I couldn't call the photographer. But I do know they spent the night together, and I hate to think what they could have done," Gwilym pinched the bridge of his nose, both his hungover and guilt were killing him. "I just wish I could have made sure they both went home separately and well."

Catherine gasped and then smiled. "Well, look on the bright side, you probably helped bring a new life into this world. Turns out Roger Taylor will be an uncle, I gotta call him to congratulate him."

"Kate, this is serious. This wasn't our plan."

"Exactly. That was their plan. You don't have to feel guilty for anything."

"But remember my mission is to get close to Michelle again and now I don't know how I'll do it."

"Don't worry, we'll think of something else."

Gwilym heard a knock on his house's front door.

"Wait, someone's knocking. I'll call you in a minute," Gwilym hung up the phone.

He opened the door and freezed when he saw what was behind it.

Michelle Hardy was in Gwilym Lee's house. The first thing he noticed was the obvious: Michelle was sad. Extremely sad maybe, the corner of her lips were pulled down, making Gwilym want to press his fingers into the spots where they curved downwards until they lifted into a smile.

"Hello. I know this is an impromptu visit, but I really need to talk to you. May I come in?", Michelle asked with a kind faint smile.

"Of course," Gwilym stepped aside, letting her enter the house. "Please take a seat. Do you want something to drink? It's hot outside."

"Yes, a glass of water, please," Michelle replied, shifting in her spot and making herself comfortable.

"What can I help you with?", Gwilym asked as he went to the kitchen to bring Michelle her glass of water.

Michelle took a deep breath. "Well, I'm going to be straightfoward because I don't want to take up your time. My husband spent the night with Belle Bulsara here, is that true?".

Gwilym swallowed hard, wondering where this conversation was headed. "Yes, they did. I had no idea until I saw them leave, though."

"Well, this has proven to be the last straw for me. Ben has been acting so strange lately, and I'm thinking he's probably having an affair. You work with him and Belle. Do you think Ben is in love with Belle?".

Gwilym swallowed hard, again. The answer was yes, in fact he had so much to say in response. Gwilym was a highly analytical person, and one of his favourite things to observe was the way Ben acted around Belle; how his entire mood shifted as soon as he saw her, how he appeared to be a completely better person when Belle was around him. If Gwilym had to describe Ben's behavior to Michelle, he'd tell her that it was the same behavior Gwilym had in the early stages of their relationship. The way people act before something terrible happens to them.