{27} - Barcelona

One week later

The paparazzi took endless pictures of Freddie, Brian and Belle as they entered the elegant hotel. There was a special reception for Freddie and Montserrat Caballé as they celebrated the release of their album, Barcelona. Belle had invited Brian to join her as Rami and Beatrice had to stay in London to celebrate their mother's birthday.

"The flash of the cameras really hurt my eyes", Brian said as he squeezed his eyes shut. "I don't know how you have dealt with these people your entire life".

"Well, it's everything I've ever known", Belle responded as they walked to their seats. "But I get what you're trying to say, it can be difficult sometimes".

"I just noticed something", Brian whispered. "The dress you're wearing tonight definitely makes a great job at hiding your baby bump".

Belle turned to her friend.

"Thanks, luckily it's not that hard to hide", she chuckled as they both sat down. "Do you realise, Brian? It's amazing that we're here tonight. A week ago my father was really upset with me".

"I know, and I'm glad you guys talked the issue through", Brian said. "Did he ever told you how he found out about your pregnancy, though?".

"Yes", she responded with a sigh. "My mother told him. I was angry, and I told her that I was trying to keep it a secret. She apologised, but it's alright, I know it wasn't her intention".

"Hi guys", Freddie suddenly greeted as he tapped Brian's shoulder. "I'm really nervous to go on stage in a few minutes. May I sit down with you, so I can relax for a while?".

"Of course", Brian responded as he pulled his chair aside so Freddie could sit. "Thanks for letting me be here tonight. This is such a beautiful place".

"I'm glad you're enjoying it", Freddie said. "It's been a long time since I last talked to you, Brian. How has fatherhood treated you so far?".

"Good", Brian said with a smile. "But sometimes it's somewhat tiring, especially when Diana starts crying in the middle of the night for no reason".

"You chose such a lovely name for your daughter", Freddie complimented. "I'm sure your parents are over the moon with her".

"Thank you and yes, well, kind of. They were disappointed, and I had to find a job", Brian tittered as he glanced at Belle. "But I respect their decision. They have no obligation to help me support my daughter whatsoever. I think Beatrice's parents reacted better to the news, especially her mother. I'm sure she will be happy when Belle's child is born too".

"Wait", Freddie frowned. "What does Beatrice's mother have to do with Belle's child?".

"That's my child's grandmother, Dad", Belle answered. "Beatrice and Rami are half-siblings".

"Oh, really?", a surprised Freddie exclaimed. "I didn't know that. So Diana and Belle's child are going to be cousins, right?".

"Yes", Belle said. "Both emotionally and biologically, because our children would be cousins regardless of their parents", she smiled and Brian smiled back.

"This is such a cute friendship, darling", Freddie enthusiastically told Belle as he clapped his hands once in wonder. "Somehow reminds me of those days when I was close friends with John Deacon"

"What?", Brian giggled. "You used to be friends with your ex-wife's husband?".

"Of course, my dear. How do you think they met?", Freddie laughed. "John and I used to be really close. Not anymore, but I don't blame it on him, I blame it on Mary. He sometimes calls me when she's not around".

"Oh, wow. I didn't know that", Brian said as he scratched his head. "Didn't you feel angry when he married Mary?".

"No", Freddie denied. "I have realised that when people get offended over their ex's new spouses is because there is this sense of rivalry, but I don't give a damn, Brian. I'm Freddie Mercury, what could be possibly better than me?".

Brian and Belle laughed.

"I'm kidding, but I'm happy Mary has found love while I go around looking for Mr. Right".

"Isn't Joe Mr. Right, Dad?", Belle asked.

"Who knows, Belle", Freddie simpered. "The only thing that I'm sure of that I'm really, really nervous about performing tonight".

"You shouldn't be", Brian told his best friend's father. "You've been doing this several years and are considered to be the best performer in the world. Why should you be nervous now?".

"Oh, darling, you're making me blush", Freddie jested as he patted his own cheeks. "Well, this time it's different because I've admired Montserrat for such a long time. I have a tremendous amount of respect for her and I really don't want to mess it up".

"You won't, I think you should be really confident when performing. And I think the singles you've released so far are amazing. You've got such a good ear for music", Brian stated.

"You've got a good ear for music too", Belle said to Brian. "Just remember all those times you've covered guitar solos from rock songs. It sounds so amazing, I can't believe you're not a professional guitarist yet".

"Is that true, Brian?", Freddie asked. "Do you play the guitar?".

"I do", Brian nodded. "I play a guitar that I built myself. It's called the Red Special".

"God, a guitar that you built yourself? That must have been a hard and long process", Freddie remarked.

"It was, it took me about two years to complete it. My father helped me build and design it".

"That's incredible, Brian. I would love to hear you play one day", Freddie chirped.

"That could definitely happen, especially because I've learnt some of your song's guitar solos".

"I'm honoured", Freddie smiled. "We definitely have to arrange a jam session".

"Mr. Mercury", Freddie's assistant cut him off. "You have to go backstage now. We need to take a final look at your makeup before you appear on stage".

"This is ridiculous!", Freddie exclaimed. "I'm perfect the way I look", he said as Brian and Belle laughed.

"I hope I can talk to you guys later in the night", Freddie said as he waved goodbye.

"Your father is really nice", Brian told Belle as he turned to her. "Really cheerful and carefree".

"He is", Belle said. "And he's even more cheerful and carefree when he's with Joe".

"That's nice, but I have a question: If we had to choose the most disfunctional relationship between Freddie Mercury and Joe Newton's relationship or yours with Rami, which one would win?", Brian jokingly asked.

"I don't know, both are disfunctional. Their relationship is a off-and-on one and my relationship with Rami is a love-hate one".

"That's true".

"Miss Bulsara", a young man approached her as the luxurious release party was ready to get started. "Before the party officially starts, there's a young reporter who wants to interview you for a few minutes, just asking your thoughts about your father's new album".

Belle wondered why anyone would want to interview her, but she agreed to since it wouldn't be the first time it happened anyways.

"Sure. I'll talk to him", she responded as she stood up. "I'll be right back, Brian".

"Just don't take too long, please", Brian said as he got ready to take a sip of a non-alcoholic wine.

Belle walked to the room where the reporter was supposed to be in, following the hotel employee who had approached her. As he opened the room's door, she could feel it was a cold one, but it looked very elegant. She entered the room and gasped as the unknown man immediately closed the door and left the room.

The man who was waiting for her in that room wasn't a reporter.

It was Roger Taylor.