Newsies » New Year's

December 31st, 1899

1899 has finally come to a close and now welcomes the 20th century. Of course the boys were ecstatic when it comes to holidays even though they have to hustle in the morning time.

Luckily, their close friend, (Y/N) is the niece of their governor, Teddy Roosevelt. They were rather fortunate to have someone like her.

Sure she was rich but she wasn't needy. She can fend for herself seeing now she studies to be a lawyer. The newsies themselves inspired her at first because she wanted to fight for the little guys in the shadows.

Moving on, since (Y/N)'s parents have passed away. Her now standing guardian was the governor himself. She loved him dearly and clearly he loved her as well. To her surprise Teddy also loved the newsies, specially after the strike.

“Uncle Teddy?” (Y/N) asked, approaching him. “Yes Dear.” He simply answered, closing the book he was reading.

“Can I ask for a small favor?” Teddy nodded and she began to speak. “Can I invite my friends here later? I wanted to spend my New Year's with friends and family.” She bashfully explained, playing with the lace of her sleeves.

“As long as they get home before 1 in the morning.” He said.

“Thank you so much Uncle! I promise we won't make a mess.” (Y/N) smiled brightly before skipping towards the door and onto the neighborhood.

“Edith! Our niece is bringing her friends. You know what to do.” Teddy chuckled at his wife.

“I love those boys. They seem so pure and nice. I feel terrible that they got the short end of the stick.” Edith replied, putting on an apron and ushering the maids to help her make a feast.

As (Y/N) arrived at the Lodging House, she knocked on their door still a smile plastered on her face.

A newsie known as Davey opened the door for her. “(Y/N) what brings you here?” He asked politely. “Just wait.” She replied shortly before shouting to call their attention.

“HEY YOU GUYS!” She shouted, to which all of the boys jerked their heads in her direction. “I have a little announcement that you might enjoy.” She paused for a bit, clearing her throat.

“You all are invited to my house for New Year's!” She happily shouted and the result, well let's just say it got a bit noisier than it was.

“We'll go there in an hour! So just hang in here for the mean time.” (Y/N) laughed and talked to a few of them, enjoying their company.

(Y/N) was just talking to Crutchie when she was engulfed in a bear hug from JoJo. “What was that for, Jo?” She asked.

“It's just a little thank you. You know for thinking of us, since I've never had a proper New Year.”

“Well, you're welcome. I hope you'll enjoy it later.” She smiled before going to her best friend, Jack. “Hey Jackie boy.” (Y/N) teased as she put on his cap.

“Hey little sis.” Jack always referred to (Y/N) as his little sister. “So, how's you and Kath. I love her by the way. You got your sister's approval.” She joked.

“We's good. She's been busy at the Journal but there's no problem that can be fixed right?”

“You know for a newsie, you are very wise.” She stated, hopping off of the bench they were sitting on. “Shut it.” Jack joked before following her.

“Hey guys! We better go! Aunt Edith's food is waiting for us!” She yelled out, causing the boys to frantically scramble out of the door.

To her surprise, they were dressed rather neatly. No dirt on their faces, their polos and jumpers were clean. She was amazed they found enough time to tidy up.

“Oh and Race? No smoking indoors, sorry bud.”

‹›‹›‹›‹›‹›‹›‹›‹›‹›

“Uncle Teddy! We're here!” (Y/N) shouted inside the mansion. “(Y/N)! You're back with your friends. Happy New Year, boys.” Teddy greeted them.

The newsies politely greeting back, in awe that they're in the governor's presence. “Hello boys. Dinner is ready.” Edith smiled at them kindly, offering them to go in the gigantic dining room.

There, the newsies' eyes went wide when they saw a literal feast being layed out. There was ham, chicken, bread and butter, pasta and many more than they could imagine.

They all muttered their thank you's before grabbing a chair and seating themselves to grab a plate and food.

“Thank you so much Uncle Teddy and Aunt Edith. Happy New Year to us.” (Y/N) bowed politely before joining her friends to eat.

“Hold on. I remember one of you who did that art of the refuge. Jack Kelly was it?” Teddy asked pointing at Jack.

“Yes sir.” Jack replied, putting down his fork and spoon. “You didn't notice, but I looked at more of your art, and you my boy have potential.”

The boys “ooh-ed” and teased Jack on. “Thank you so much, sir.” Jack replied. “So, I've decided to give you a scholarship to which ever college you want.” Teddy smiled proudly at Jack.

“(Y/N) did youse set this up?” Jack asked of disbelief. (Y/N) shook her head and put her hands up in surrender. “Sir I's can't accep--”

“I insist boy. Send me a letter whenever.” Teddy said before exiting.

“Jack is a lucky boy!” Race teased and elbowed him jokingly. She and the boys finished eating and she invited them into her room, which was fairly big enough for all of them.

“(Y/N) this is huge.” Race commented as he sat on the edge of her bed.

“I know. It's a little much for me.” She commented and turned on the radio for them. The radio was playing some songs mostly compositions of happy music for the New Year.

“Say, if youse move out, can I have this room?” Romeo joked as he looked around.

“Your closet if huge!” Albert commented as he opened a door. “Hey! I have my private stuff in there!” (Y/N) nearly screamed.

The guys all laughed and continued to mingle and tease with each other. Jack grabbed a piece of her parchment and found her eyeliner and drew. Crutchie was playing with her stuffed animals. Albert found a board game from one of her drawers and played with the rest of the newsies.

(Y/N) checked the clock on her bedside and surprisingly it read 11:59. “Guys! A minute til' New Year's!” She called out, all of them rushed to the nearest window and waited for the fireworks to signal midnight.

They waited until they saw big bursts of colorful lights in the dark sky. “HAPPY NEW YEAR!” They all shouted and hugged whoever was nearest.