Crutchie » New Brotherhood

It was dark, cold and windy as nightfall approaches the busy streets of New York City.

When it comes to this time of day, usually people would be happy because they get to go home and be warm and bond with their families, but it's quite the opposite for Crutchie.

Since he is an orphan, a crip and was just released from the refuge a few weeks prior, he was living on the streets.

He had a few torn blankets as an excuse for a bed. A bucket half filled with water that he uses to clean himself everyday. Then a sack filled with old clothes for a pillow.

He was still happy despite his circumstances. Even though he is dirt poor and was practically living off of a single dime he was still thankful.

He was thankful that the Delancey's showed him mercy. He was thankful that he was still alive. Though, his joyful spirit had disappeared when it turned to winter.

He was practically suffering in an alleyway until someone heard his soft cries and whimpers.

“Hello?” The voice called.

Crutchie stayed silent thinking it was an officer from the refuge.

“Is anybody here?” The voice called out again, though this time a lot clearer. And turns out it belongs to a girl.

Before he could answer, he heard footsteps and finally the person calling out showed themselves to Crutchie.

“Oh no, you must be freezing! I know a place that you can go to. I'm (Y/N) by the way.” The person spoke rather quickly.

Crutchie was a little shocked that a person actually helped him. “My name's Crutchie, miss.” He tried to smile politely but he basically couldn't move from being to cold.

“We can talk more later.” She said before helping him up on his crutches and wrapping him with her shawl.

“Thank youse. You was the foist' person to ya' know, treat me like I's human.” He commented while they walked down the streets.

“It's really nothing. My father and I like helping people who are in need. He always say to me that, helpless cases could become hopeful cases if he give them a little help.”

“That sounds very nice. But who's your father anyway?” He asked.

“Theodore Roosevelt. New York's governor.” She smiled politely.

Crutchie was a little bit star struck knowing that the government's daughter is talking and helping him to be better.

“No wonders your name sounds familiar.” He replied.

“Look, we're here.” She said and opened the front door for him seeing his current condition.

“My father calls this as ‘The Lodging House’.” (Y/N) said, guiding him into a spare room in the two-floored building.

Opening the door, Crutchie couldn't believe his eyes. There was a bed big enough for two people probably as soft as the clouds. Fluffed pillows, a small closet and a small bathroom with a sink and makeshift shower.

Crutchie couldn't help but hug her as tight as he possibly can. “Thank youse so much!” He muffled into her shoulder, tears brimming his eyes.

“You're welcome Crutchie.” She smiled. “So why don't you settle your things and I'll introduce you to the boys?”

“Who?” He asked.

“Right, I meant the boys who my father and I also helped. Some of them have jobs while some go to school. Now c'mon, I think they'll be happy to meet you.” She replied before almost dragging him to the bottom floor which is the basement, where all the boys play and eat.

“Hey guys!” She shouted from the top of the stairs.

“Hey (Y/N)!” They replied in unison before going back to their games.

“These guys, they all knows ya'?”

(Y/N) nodded her head. “I visit this place weekly, and I also sometimes join the games they play.”

“So guys!” She shouted once more. “This is your new roommate or rather brother Crutchie!”

The boys simultaneously waved at Crutchie. “So why don't you guys introduce yourself to this new kid?”

“Name's Jack Kelly. I'm practically the oldest.”

“I's Racetrack, but they call me Race. Youse can remember me because I's the only one holding a cigar.”

“The name's Albert!”

“I'm Mush!”

“Name's Finch. I'm the one with the slingshot.”

“JoJo! I'm always happy just so youse know.”

“I's Henry.”

“The name's Buttons! You can recognize me's if I'm the one being picked at.”

“I'm Romeo. Youngest at the moment.”

“I'm Smalls! Pretty much as old as Romeo.”

“Specs! Always the one with glasses.”

“We're Mike and Ike! We's twins.”

“I's Tommy Boy.”

“And I'm Elmer! I's always wear stripes.”

“Thank you boys!” She shouted before leading Crutchie away from the crowd.

“So will you be able to remember all of them?” She asks. “Hope so. Thank youse again.” Crutchie smiled politely.

“You're welcome once again. I better head off, my father expects me to be in his office at any moment now.”

“Okay, I's see you next week?”

“Of course. I never fail to visit. Goodbye Crutchie.”

“Bye (Y/N).”

He was content now. A few weeks more and now he was practically cemented into this loud and rowdy brotherhood. What could he ask for more?