09.7 - Cyde

"Nilo, where have you been? Master is calling for you."

The boy with deep, dark eyes had just entered the nine-tail fox territory when two massive boulders stood on either side of the entrance gate caught his attention. The words "The Valley of Plum Blossom" was engraved on the boulders. The boy quietly stared at the words, feeling a sense of loss and sorrow. Before he could understand the unknown feeling, an impatient male voice snapped him out of his trance. Looking at the taller young man with appearance of a twenty-year old, the small boy frown.

"You." The head discipline of the nine-fox tail saw the boy frown and displeased with his stubborn nature. "How many times must I tell you to fix your attitude? Master may tolerate it now, but how long will it last? Once the well goes dry, you'll die of thirst. Do you understand?"

The boy remained silent causing the head discipline to turn and sigh tiredly.

"Follow me. Do not let master wait any longer." The head disciple walked off while ordering the boy.

The Valley of the Plum Blossom is exactly as its name. The nine-fox territory is within multiple mazes of thousands of spiritual plum blossom trees – each tree is the exact duplicate of one another. For the nine-fox tail Myka, the mazes are like walking through the park. She is able to stroll through them easily because the trees know she is their master and will naturally part ways for her. Needless to say, if one do not have a connection with the nine-tail fox, the tree labyrinth will not allow entrance. Without the nine-fox tail's consent, the intruder will forever be lost – endlessly circling the tree labyrinth.

"Master, I've brought Nilo."

The nine-fox tail private resident was hidden deep within the valley so the boy found himself walking for a very long time before the large pavilion came into sight. Once he entered through the grand wood double doors, he saw Myka in her nine-tail fox form lying on a large chaise chair. The pitch-black fox looked lovely as it appeared to be sleeping peacefully while lying her head on her crossed paws. After several minutes pass, the fox slowly opened her eyes to see the beautiful boy standing beside her head disciples. A flicker of amusement passed through her eyes, but because she was in her fox form, the two young men did not see her delight. Without lifting her head, the fox closed her eyes and mentally spoke with her disciples.

"You can go." The fox ordered with her usual casual tone. "Nilo, my fur needs to be brush."

The head disciple bowed before taking his leave.

"What are you waiting for Nilo?" The fox opened one of her eyes lazily. "I said my fur needs to be brush."

The fox ignored the resentful glare of the boy while closing her eyes once more. Soon, the fox laughing inside as she felt the soft brush gliding against her fur coat.

"You're brushing harder than usual." The fox spoke to the boy's mind without opening her eyes. "Do you want me to shave your head bald?"

The boy froze before sullenly softening his brush strokes.

"So where were you when I called?" Myka continued leisurely while the boy continued to brush her fur carefully.

Instead of responding, the boy stubbornly kept silent.

"Not talking?" Myka voice held no anger – instead, she was entertained by the boy's coldness. "Umm... I guess I should shave you bald after all."

"Training class." The boy bit out darkly.

"Training..." Myka's sweet voice held a lilt of laughter. "Did you learn anything then at training class?"

The boy didn't answer until the fox opened her sparkling beautiful eyes to look at him.

"Well?" Myka continued to meet the little boy's gaze. "Did you learn anything?"

"No."

"No?" Myka smiled inside. "And why not?"

"You have not taught me the basic method to control air." The boy spoke casually as he broke eye connection to continue to brush the fox's fur. "What's good can training class be?"

Training class is only good for disciples to further develop their powers by practicing and challenging other disciples of a different elemental master. If a child has yet to learn even the basic method to control their master's elemental power, going to training class is indeed useless. If they're not being made fun of, they can get fatally injured. And while no one dare to mock or hurt Nilo because of his master's background, it was still humiliating for the boy to know that while others are growing stronger, he is at a standstill. This is why he was so desperate to switch place with his twin. He wanted to learn an elemental power. Nilo didn't care which element.

"Oh, I haven't taught you?" Myka said innocently. "Umm... how careless of me."

The boy was seemingly obedient as he continued to brush the fox fur. Myka cunning eyes studied the little boy for a moment before she sat up, no longer interested in being groomed.

"Alright then..." Myka gracefully jumped down from the chaise and lazily stretched with her back bowed into a perfect arch. "If you want to learn... follow me Nilo."

And while the fox sauntered off, the boy followed behind her with his head bowed low – hiding a sly grin. Of course, the fox's grin was much more devious than the boy. Really - who had fallen into whose trap? Only time will reveal the answer.