09.5 - Cyde

Nilo was expecting pain as he kept his eyes shut. Even while he had his eyes closed, he could still feel the flames' heat just before his face. It took him another while before he realized that he was no longer held by the arms. Opening his eyes, he was startled to see the ball of flames hovering perfectly still in front of his face. Blinking with surprise, Nilo was not aware by the silence all around him. Instead, Nilo continued to stare blankly at the ball of flames - watching it was it was carried up into the sky.

Because Nilo had his eyes closed, he didn't see what everyone else did. Just before the flames touched his face, a slice of wind caught the ball of flames - keeping it perfectly still. The boys who were all bold and arrogant before, felt their legs shake at the sight of the woman clad in pitch black robes with a black mask that was in shape of a fox. They all watched while she held the ball of fire in her left hand, while using her right hand to lift her mask up and set it on top of her head. What surprised the boys was not the way the woman was playing with the small ball of fire in her hand but the smile on her face. Again, it was rare for anyone to see Myka's face. It was rarer to see her smile. What's more, how could any young boy resist the deep dimples set on the woman's smooth porcelain cheeks?

"What me to show you a trick?" Myka suddenly spoke - snapping everyone out of their trances.

Using both her hands, Myka smashed the ball of flames - seemingly extinguishing it. Then with a smile, she separated her hands revealing a beautiful ribbon of flames. The boys were all entranced by the woman and the bursting flames in her hand that they didn't even noticed when she let the ribbon of flames surround them. It wasn't until the heat got closer to them that they realize the impeding danger.

"Enough!"

Following the calm, stern tone was a stream of water which shot forward and put of the ribbon of flames.

"Nine-tails, as an elder, do you have any shame in bullying children?"

Myka was still hovering above while her eyes followed the voice to see the water dragon standing just above the hills. Beside the immortal looking man was two beautiful children both in complete white. Their pure white slash told everyone that they were the water dragon Lei's disciples.

"You call it bullying. I call it disciplining." Myka said nonchalantly.

"You clearly want their lives. How is it disciplining?" Lei spoke in the same indifferent tone.

"I'm teaching them. Mess with my people, pay with your lives." Myka replied while her eyes went back to the group of frightened boys. "Learn your lesson?"

They all nodded so hard that their heads would fall off.

"Then off you go." Myka beamed her dimpled smiles.

How could someone smile so beautifully be so crazy? The boys didn't dare to ask such question as they quickly run off.

"As for you..." Myka flicked a hand, letting the air which she was standing on dissipate slowly until her feet gently touched the ground. "Have you learn your lesson yet?"

Nilo only bit his lips as he refused to look at Myka.

"I have to commend you on your stubbornness." Myka truly was amused by the protagonist's pride. "I like it."

Nilo wasn't the only one who was startled to hear the word "like" coming out of the woman's pink lips. Lifting his head, he could see the bright glow within the woman's beautiful eyes.

"Here."

Again, Nilo was surprised when he saw the woman suddenly taking out a black slash from within her long wide sleeves.

"You want to leave my territory?"Myka's tone was both teasing and taunting. "Grow strong and beat me. Then you can go wherever you want."

Nilo's spirit was instantly lifted. Myka's challenge not only stirred him - it unknowingly became his goal. The protagonist of the story had always been ambitious. His destiny was to become one of the most powerful Qui ever come into existence. Originally the one he was supposed to surpass was the water dragon Lei. Little did he knows, the more powerful opponent was the soul within the nine-tails fox.

"I'll beat you." Nilo took the black slash with determined eyes.

Myka's laughter carried all the way to where Lei and his little disciples were.

"I'll look forward to it." Myka placed the fox mask back down over her face before she lifted her head where Lei was. "Hey busy-body dragon, I want a word with you."

The water dragon Lei frowned. It was the first time the nine-tails spoke to him in such a manner. It wasn't like Qui hates each other - in fact, many Qui are attracted and paired together. But for Qui beings who are at the top - powerful Qui like Lei and Myka, they rarely interact with another Qui who are inferior to them. And for Lei and Myka who are at the top, they feel every Qui are inferior to them. In the original story, Lei and Myka never crossed path. The two powerful existences live secluded in their own territory. The nine-tails fox Myka only made appearances whenever there were events and competitions her disciples took part in. The story - after all was more gear toward the water dragon Lei and his three disciples, Nilo, Cyde, and Alexis.

"We have nothing to talk about." Lei replied coldly before he turned to leave.

"Old stinky dragon thinks he all great and powerful." Myka called out playfully. "White hair, looking like a woman with_"

"You_" Lei snapped and turned around with sharp eyes.

"Next time, mind your own business dragon." Myka cut Lei off with a haughty tone. "Since you didn't step out to help my disciple when he's being bully, don't step out when I bully others. Hypocritical two-face dragon with big face, big nose - never going to get a wife or husband."

"You_" The water dragon was fuming.

No one ever dared to speak to him in such a manner, yet the nine-tails fox insulted him to such extent. Worst, he couldn't even say anything back before the nine-tails fox disappeared into thin air. Of course, she didn't forget to take the protagonist with her as she left the scene.

"Master..." Alexis who had witness the entire scene, felt complicated.

At first she was hurt that her master wouldn't allow her or Cyde to step out to help Nilo. Then she was confused when her master stopped the nine-tails fox from teaching those horrible boys a lesson. After all is done, she was relieved that her childhood friend Nilo was safe and sound. But relief came short when the nine-tails fox insulted her master. As the water dragon's disciples for some time now, both Alexis and Cyde understood the man's high pride - very much similar to Nilo. To be insulted like so, the two children knew their masters was beyond angry. The man was seething inside despite his calm expression.

"Do not associate yourselves with that nine-tails or her disciples." Lei ordered the two children at his side coldly.

Both Cyde and Alexis wanted to speak up but the man's firm eyes let them know that they had no say in the matter.