09.17 - Cyde

By the time Nilo woke up, the decuplet trial had ended. Confused and disoriented, he realized he was lying face down. It wasn't until he moved that pain shot throughout his back and body.

"Finally awake?" The fox's head disciple had entered the room with a small medicine bottle in hand.

"What happened?" Nilo tried to recall what had happened.

"Too embarrassed to remember?" The head disciple smirked as he reached the bed.

It didn't take long before Nilo remembered. He was nearly killed by his opponent because of his foolishness. He had trust – no, he had underestimated his opponent.

"This world isn't for the weak and kind." The head disciple didn't care kick the man while he's down, but he had scolded his fellow disciple brother in hope for him to learn.

"I..." Nilo didn't know what to say.

"Medicine." The head disciple set it down beside the pillow. "It's from master."

Nilo looked blankly at the medicine.

"Why would she save me?"

"I want to know as well." The head disciple complained. "From the very beginning, master has been impartial to you. Instead of being grateful, you dare to_"

"No need to be jealous of your little disciple brother." A familiar sweet voice came from the doorway. "Your master loves all her little disciples equally."

"Master." The head disciple felt embarrassed and lowered his head in a bow.

With her usual smiles, Myka walked over and sat down on the edge of the bed to observe Nilo's injured back. The finest medicines will heal the wound and ease the pain, but nothing could repair the marred skin.

"Such a shame..." Myka sighed with pity. "Well... at least your handsome face isn't damaged."

Both Nilo and the head disciples could only look up to the sky as they could not understand the brazen fox's thought process.

"You'll heal soon enough." Myka look at Nilo and teased. "Hopefully, in the future you won't underestimate a beauty's trap. But honestly, your beautiful master has trained you personally to resist the honey trap and yet, you still end up falling."

"Can you not tease me during this time?" Nilo buried his face in the pillow. "I'm not in the mood."

"You still dare talk to master this way?" The head disciple scowled while Nilo flinched. "If not for master, you would have died. How ungrateful can you be?"

"I..." Nilo lifted his face and tried to sit up through the pain.

Facing the smiling fox, Nilo could only sighed softly. Honestly, he didn't understand why the fox favored him. Over the years, he knew the woman tolerate him despite his lack of respect. He understood if it was any other Qui masters, he would have long been killed.

"Are you in love with me?" Nilo asked bluntly.

The head disciple nearly tripped and fall. Myka, on the other hand, looked at Nilo for a moment for bursting out in a fit of laughter. Seeing the woman laugh so hard, Nilo was half embarrassed – half annoyed. He understood he had asked a stupid question.

"Little Nilo." Myka smile became very seductive as she leaned in close and touch his expose chest. "I only like your handsome face. If your soul is as attractive, I may reconsider."

"What's wrong with my soul?" Nilo was offended.

"Too righteous for my taste." Myka moved away from Nilo and stood with her usual unreadable smile. "And besides, you can't handle this beauty."

Nilo and the head disciple doubt anyone could handle such beauty with such a cunning soul.

"You should rest. Clearly, your brain isn't functioning properly." Myka look at Nilo before glancing over at her head disciple. "Make sure your little brother heals appropriately."

"Yes master." The head disciple bowed as Myka left the room.

Once outside, Myka made her way toward the maze of plum blossom trees. After walking deeply into the maze, Myka was greeted by tree branch that came low to her feet. Stepping onto the branch, she let herself be carried up high until it settled at the top. Sitting down, Myka leaned against the trunk and gazed at the splendid view of the valley of plum blossom trees. Against the blue horizon, the pink and white blossom glowed – just like a dream, an illusion.

"Am I in love with you?"

The question was spoken before she realized she had asked it.