04.3 - Tsai Xuan

Locked up in an old storage room, Muxue held her legs to her chest as she buried her face against her knees. Alone and in darkness, Muxue was not afraid. Instead, she was thinking of her next plan with a smirk on her face. The soul with Muxue knew Tsai Xuan had been watching the whole scene with her and the old merchant. According to the story, Tsai Xuan had indeed forgotten about Han Muxue existence until his generals came and gave news that his fiancé was about to marry another. While it hadn't bothered him that his "supposed" fiancé was getting married, it had amused Tsai Xuan that his subordinates were. The generals had been the ones who warned him to go retrieve his bride before she get stolen, but Tsai Xuan had only laughed. Still, he had been curious about Han Muxue for that split moment and decided to go see who she was.

Originally, Tsai Xuan had seen Han Muxue accepted the old man's gifts - thus left without ever remembering her face. This time, the soul inside Muxue changed the flow of the story by changing Tsai Xuan perception of Han Muxue. She knew the Commander would leave if Han Muxue accept the old man's gift, so naturally, she rebuked the old man. Seeing Muxue scold the old man, Tsai Xuan had been amused by the woman's temper. Watching her dark eyes glare while she spoke firmly with no fear, Tsai Xuan was intrigued. Unknowingly, the Commander who initially had thought to take one look at Muxue and leave, stayed rooted in place to watched the woman. Muxue may not have seen the Commander, she was sure he was there to watch the show. And so she made sure to give the Commander a good show to watch. Just as Muxue begin to formulate her next action, the lock to the storage door was removed. Carefully putting on her meek expression, Muxue lifted her head to see her visitor.

"Cousin..."

The storage door slowly opened, revealing a beautiful young girl barely 16 years old. Despite the girl's gentle smiles, Muxue could see the malice masked behind it. The soul inside Muxue, after all, is the master of gentle smiles.

"Cousin..." The girl walked to Muxue until she stood in front of her. "How are you doing? Are you well?"

Muxue weakly shook her head. Inside, she was sneering. Her greedy uncle and wife had purposely locked her up in darkness with no food or water. Not knowing how long time had passed, they sent in their young daughter to play the good guy.

"Cousin... Why must you do this to yourself?"

"I don't want to marry..."

"But you're not young anymore..."

"I'm engaged to_"

"Cousin" The girl sighed heavily. "Don't be foolish anymore. Everyone is laughing at you for wasting your life on a silly promise..."

"But..."

"Marrying that merchant will be good for you. He'll be able to take care of you for the rest of your life"

"I..."

"Cousin... if you don't marry, everyone will laugh at you. You're a Han, a good daughter from a reputable family. It's a waste for you to remain unwed. The longer you wait, the harder it will be for anyone to accept you"

Muxue sneered inside. She knew the girl's thoughts. Like her father and mother, the girl wanted Han Muxue gone. Only when Han Muxue is married and gone, the estate will belong to them. And when the old merchant's marriage gifts, they will have more wealth to add to their pockets.

"Cousin..." Muxue said weakly. "I'm hungry..."

"I know..." The girl smile more gently. "If cousin agree, I'll talk to father and mother. They'll listen to me and let you back to your room."

Muxue showed hesitation on her face.

"There is food waiting in your room, my dear cousin..."

With that, Muxue slowly nodded. The girl smiled widely and quickly left the storage room, not noticing the evil smile on Muxue's face.

Once Muxue was released and brought to her room, she played the former docile Han Muxue to avoid her cousin and aunt suspicion. While her uncle kept tight security around her, Muxue continues her days quietly as the old Han Muxue would. Only when her uncle believed Muxue had resigned to marriage with the old wealthy merchant, he loosen his watch on her. And that was when Muxue made her escape. No one had expected the sheltered and weak girl to run away from her wealthy home. By the time they discover her disappearance, Muxue had already left the city gates. Wearing male servant clothing, carrying nothing but a small bag, Muxue headed east. Why east? Tsai Xuan and his army is at the east borders. Han Muxue was on her way to her first battle.