04.9 - Tsai Xuan

By the time the week was nearly over, Tsai Xuan and his men were thoroughly captivated by Muxue. Her stubborn little glares and her untamed temper tickled at their hearts. It was like watching a little kitten chasing stubbornly after a feather wand. Without thoughts, the men begin to give Muxue more attention. Whether or not they know it, the men suddenly became aware of Muxue's allure. Although the woman was 25 years old, older than most of the men there, Muxue was still a beauty. It could be said that her body was still at its prime. If they were compare her to younger women, Muxue has a distinct charm. Was it because her fiery personality? Or was it because the men aren't use to associating with other women beside Muxue. In the army, the only type of women they're use to are women who sell her bodies for warmth, protection, or food. Muxue was not that type of women. In fact, Muxue was the type of woman who would rather die than sell her body. The week that they interact with Muxue, they understood that key point about her. Her pride and stubbornness is incomparable.

"Amazing!" Muxue clapped her hands while she smiled, flashing her deep dimples on her cheeks.

Some of the men were fishing in the lake, while Muxue was stood nearby watching. In the last couple of days, Muxue was not as reserved as before. After Tsai Xuan punished those who supposedly "lied" about the Tsai Army's rules about hunting her own food or building her own tent, the soldiers of course shared their food with her and built her tent for her at night. Muxue, naturally, put up a hesitant front but then accepts when the men persisted. Now, while she watched them catch fishes with just a sharp wood stick, Muxue would beam out her beautiful smile to encourage them. And what man would not feel his ego boost when a beauty admire his strength? The soldiers all instinctively compete with each other to see who can get the biggest fish.

"Wow!" Muxue eyes widened with delight when Tsai Xuan caught 3 fish in one stab.

The men all watched wryly as Tsai Xuan strut to Muxue, covering her line of sight so that only he could see her smiling face.

"Let's eat" Tsai Xuan looked down onto Muxue's face with dark but soft eyes while her focus was on the fishes. "Muxue, do you like them boil in water or cooked over a fire"

"Um" Muxue eyes lifted up to him and smiled. "I never had fish cooked directly over a fire before"

"Then we'll do that"

Seeing her bright face, Tsai Xuan had the urge to wrap his hands around her and hold her closer to his body. Luckily his hand were still holding the pole with the fishes.

"I'll find some wood for the fire then" Muxue turned but was held back when Tsai Xuan took her hand.

"Let the others do that" Tsai Xuan tightened his hold on her hand and guide her back to the campsite.

While they walked away, Muxue could see from the corner of her eyes how several men rushed off to gather woods within the deep forest. Hiding a smirk, Muxue allowed Tsai Xuan to guide her back to the campsite.

"Here Muxue"

Hours later when the fishes were clean, cut, and cooked over the bonfire, Tsai Xuan took one of the stick with a perfectly cooked fish and handed it to Muxue. Muxue looked at the other soldiers first as if to see if anyone was dissatisfied. Her supposed "nervous" expression only stirred their hearts.

"Muxue"

Tsai Xuan's tone let Muxue knew he wanted her eyes only on him. Hiding behind a gullible expression, Muxue look back at the fish that was held out to her. Quietly, she reached for the stick but was denied. Confused, she looked at Tsai Xuan.

"It's hot. I'll hold it for you"

Hiding a smirk, Muxue quietly nodded and leaned in to take a small bite. The atmosphere was quiet as Muxue gracefully ate while holding her long bangs to the side of her face. Fully aware that Tsai Xuan was staring at her lips, cheek, ear, and exposed neck, Muxue kept her focus on eating. Half way through the fish, Muxue lifted her eyes to see all the men staring.

"Umm... is everyone not eating?" Muxue put on a confused expression.

Coughing, the men quickly looked away to avoid the cold glares of their Commander. Everyone ate and talked among themselves as if nothing had happened.

"General An" Muxue looked at Tsai Xuan. "It's not longer hot, so I can hold it. You should eat too"

But Tsai Xuan made no move to give her the fish and continued to hold it for her to eat. Putting on a helpless expression, Muxue quietly ate even though she was laughing inside. When she was done eating, the sun had fully set. While several soldiers were setting up tents, Muxue as usual sat waiting by the bonfire. That night, one of the soldier took out a handmade instrument similar to a banjo and started strumming the chords to test out its sound.

Red flags raised above the red blood sky

We marched along the splendid East Line

We fight and defend, leaving our hearts behind

Red flags raised, we will continue forward

To the death, we march until our enemies die

Muxue listened to the soldier sing softly while he continued to strum the chord gently.

"That song..." Muxue said softly when the soldier ended the song. "Is called Soldier's War..."

"Miss Han knows the song?"

Muxue knew why some of the men were surprised. For a woman to know war songs was a bit uncommon since the lyrics tend to be cruel or gruesome. Moreover, the song Soldier's War, was sung only by soldiers at the east line - so common people don't usually hear it.

"Yes..." Muxue replied. "I heard it once when a traveling performing troupe came to the city..."

Hearing Muxue's reason, no one else questioned her further.

"Don't play such songs in front of Miss Han" Another soldier scolded lightly. "Play something lighter you fool"

"No, that's fine" Muxue smiles softly. "I like this song"

"You do?" Now, the men were startled.

"This song became popular in the city when the troupe sang it... there had been many revision made to the song as well"

"Oh?" The soldier who had played and sung Soldier's War was curious. "What kind of revision?"

Muxue gave a shy smile and looked down at her folded hands on her lap.

"Please Miss Han" The soldier urged. "I would love to hear it"

Everyone else also pleaded Muxue, making her looked down bashfully. Seeing her shy demeanor, Tsai Xuan who had sat next to her, had the urge to shield her. Just before he could reprimand his men, the soldier already started to play on his instrument. Muxue looked over at the soldier and saw his pleading smiles. After a moment, Muxue softly sung.

Red flags raised, you marched along the splendid East Line

Leaving behind your heart, we hide our cry

You fight and defend, we could only say goodbye

Red flags raised, you continue forward

To the death, we will wait the last breathe lies