09.8 - Cyde

Per Nilo's wish, after trading place with Cyde, he was able to learn the elemental power through the water dragon Lei. And true to his role as the story's protagonist, in just a few days within the water dragon's territory, he quickly learned the basic steps of gathering and moving liquid. Even though the small child is only able to manipulate only a tiny fraction in comparison to the powerful water dragon, Nilo was beaming with joy at the taste of power for the first time since his arrival in Kien. And because the water dragon is openly teaching him as a master should be toward his disciplines, Nilo felt more resentment toward his lazy master.

Meanwhile, within the nine-tails fox territory, the story's second male lead is being personally taught by Myka. Not only does the so-called "lazy" master went all out in teaching her little discipline the most powerful moves in controlling the air, she even told the boy the best method to cultivate by using the air surrounding him. In the course of a few days, the nine-tail fox taught the boy lessons where an average discipline would receive in 100 years. But neither Nilo or Cyde knew this. Cyde – the one receiving Myka's lesson, hadn't thought much about her teaching and simply followed her instructions. He doesn't realize how much knowledge and power the nine-tails fox was imparting on him until much, much later.

"What did you say? She taught you?"

Naturally, when the boys switch back, the two traded information to solidified their act in case of being questioned by others – mainly their masters. After Cyde told Nilo that the nine-tail fox taught him the elemental power of air, Nilo was startled and then fuming with anger. He couldn't believe that the fox chose the time when he switched place with his brother to teach. He would have said the woman was doing it on purpose but both boys didn't doubt for a moment that their switch was discovered. They were confident that no one but Alexis knew of them switching places.

"What exactly did she teach you?" Nilo questioned with a hint of jealousy.

"Does it matter?" Cyde replied coolly.

No - it does not matter. For every discipline, when learning their master elemental power, the lesson is imparted spiritually through the mind. Like a dream, the lesson will be clear while being taught – once done, it will dissipate and merge into the soul. There is no memory of the experience – just the feeling of newfound power.

"How did you get her to teach you?" Nilo asked – feeling something was off.

How did he get the nine-tails fox to teach him? Cyde recalled the moment where he interacted with the fox.

"It just happened..." Was all Cyde could reply.

At first, Cyde taught he had tricked the woman, but now, he wondered if he had truly fooled her. His gut feeling was telling him the woman was the one tricking him. But what?

"How can it just happen?" Nilo squinted like he didn't believe Cyde's explanation.

"Then do you think I tricked the nine-tail fox?" Cyde looked at Nilo with his usual calm, unreadable expression.

Nilo's expression faltered. He knew first hand how cunning his master was. How could the sly nine-tail fox be tricked?

"She doesn't know you two switched... does she?" Alexis who had been standing beside the boys suddenly questioned softly.

"Impossible." Nilo and Cyde both answered.

"If she knew, she wouldn't teach him." Nilo reasoned. "If she knew, she would have punished us..."

If Myka was like other Qui masters, she would have tossed Cyde to his master and heavily punish her disciple. The twin's deception – if discovered, is no small matter. The two boys would not only face punishment but they could face death if their master wished for it. The twins don't know the current Myka was more interested in watching their little switching game than exposing them of their lie. After all, she needed some distraction to relief boredom.

"Since she finally decided to teach, I'll figure out a way to get her to re-teach me." Nilo suddenly smile confidently like he solved all the problems. "Cyde, we'll continue the switch every month, okay?"

Cyde furrow his brows as if contemplating Nilo's idea.

"Even if they didn't catch you this time, they will eventually." Alexis expressed her concern. "Our master wise... he already questioned you Nilo when you did not perform well."

"He was angry but he didn't suspect that I wasn't Cyde." Nilo smiled at Alexis. "With you around, he'll never suspect the switch."

The biggest reason why the Water Dragon Lei did think to suspect Nilo identity because of Alexis presence. To have Alexis at Nilo side calling him Cyde will disperse any doubts Lei would have. The little girl was honest with no evil or greedy thoughts. Because of her character, not only Lei, many others would never suspect her to lie.

"Nilo..." Alexis was clearly anxious at the idea of the twins continuing the charade with two supposed powerful Qui masters.

Yes, they were "lucky" to not have been caught the first time – but there is a chance they won't be as lucky next time.

"Don't worry Alexis. It'll be fine." Nilo smiled at Alexis before turning to Cyde. "Let us learn both the element of Water and Air. Soon, we'll be the strongest here and no one will bully us."

Seeing Nilo's playful grin, Alexis looked nervous while Cyde doesn't seem fazed one bit.