04.8 - Tsai Xuan

Tsai Xuan and his men's attitudes changed toward Muxue after that moment. Before they would all rushed off on their horses to cover Muxue with dust and dirt, but now, they pace slowly around her old mule as if guarding her safety. When one of the soldiers offered Muxue his own horse, she politely declined, not missing Tsai Xuan's glare toward the soldier who made the offer. His glare became colder and darker each time his men offered anything to Muxue. Horse, smaller robes that fit her better, the meat they have hunted and cooked, or to build her a tent at night - they awkwardly tried to treat Muxue kindly. But Muxue always maintained her aloof expression, turning them down one by one and making them eat their previous words.

"I'm not worthy to sit on one of the Tsai Army's grand stallion"

Muxue reminded the soldier with a soft tone, making him turn red with embarrassment. He had been the same soldier who mocked Muxue by giving her the mule to ride on.

"That's alright. I don't dare to eat what I did not catch myself..."

Muxue reminded gently when some soldiers came bearing a large portion of their hunt games.

"If your Commander finds out that his rules within his army is not kept, there would be trouble for you. I can make my own bed to sleep"

Muxue reminded lightly as she made her way toward a big tree. The men were all at the bottom end of their wits as they watched Muxue sat beside the large tree trunk. Above the dark night sky were flashes of lightening, hinting that rain will come soon. Muxue did not appeared concern as she leaned against the tree trunk with closed eyes. Moments later, Tsai Xuan lifted her up into his strong arms.

"What_" Muxue opened her eyes to see Tsai Xuan's strong jaw. "Let go, I_"

"Quiet" Tsai Xuan's said sternly.

Muxue watched as he carried her to the large open tent with a bonfire in the center. After Tsai Xuan set Muxue down, he sat down beside her. Many of the soldiers were already under the tent when the rain fell. The strong gush of wind blew in making Muxue sneezed and immediately, several soldiers stood where the wind blew to block it from touching Muxue.

"Eat"

Muxue had turned to look at the soldiers who were blocking the wind for her when Tsai Xuan's voice brought her attention back toward the bonfire. Right in front of her face as a small chunk of wild boar meat held by a small dagger. Tsai Xuan was the one holding the dagger. Biting down her bottom lip, Muxue shook her head, denying herself from tasting the delicious cooked meat.

"Don't be stubborn. Eating only wild fruits and plants will hurt your stomach eventually" Tsai Xuan frowned when Muxue shook her head again.

"But the rules_"

"There is not such rules" Tsai Xuan snapped out irritability. "Who made up such rules, stand out now!"

Sweats appeared in every soldier's face. The group of men who had teased Muxue previously about finding her own food all went pale. Feeling wronged by their Commander, the soldiers didn't dare to make a sound. Wasn't he who had silently encouraged them all to tease and mock Muxue before?

"Well?" Tsai Xuan's voice went cold. "Who said it?"

Muxue could feel the tension radiating off the soldiers. Smirking inside, she let them suffered from fear without a care. She had swore to get anyone who mocked her before. It was the chance she's been waiting for.

"Com_ General, I_"

"Take him out and give him 50 rod to the back. Demote a rank for stepping out of bound and making up false rules"

Even though he felt wronged, the soldier didn't dare to say anything else. Accepting his punishment, he followed his comrade out back for the beating.

"Foolish woman, don't believe in everything you're told" Tsai Xuan went back to Muxue. "Now eat"

Seeing Muxue hesitation, Tsai Xuan lifted the piece of meat close to her lips.

"It's hot, so be careful"

Muxue kept her nervous expression while she quietly leaned forward for a small bite. Knowing well Tsai Xuan was watching her eat, she intentionally ate like a small bunny. Nibbling slowly, Muxue held her long hair behind her ear with a hand. Tsai Xuan had watched her pink lip absorbedly with dark heated eyes until the slight bruise at the side of her lips and cheek caught his attention.

"What happened to your cheek?"

Muxue quickly sat back, letting her hair covered her face. Tsai Xuan didn't let her pull away from him as he reached out and cupped her cheek, rubbing his thumb over the old bruise. Previously, Muxue was covered in dirt and mud so Tsai Xuan hadn't noticed the swelling around her cheek. Now that she was cleaned, the purple and black swelling could not be hidden against her white smooth skin.

"Who?" Tsai Xuan eyes suddenly lifted to his soldiers.

While he had told them to tease the little woman, he did not allowed anyone to hurt her physically. To see her beautiful face marred, Tsai Xuan blood boiled dangerously.

"Let go" Muxue pulled away from his touch. "It's none of your business"

"None of my business?" Tsai Xuan turned to look at Muxue with angry eyes. "Who dared to hit you on my watch?"

"It doesn't matter" Muxue turned away from Tsai Xuan, avoiding his eyes. "I entered the army ground without proper permission. It's no one's fault"

The more Muxue retreated from Tsai Xuan, the angrier he got. When he realized the meaning behind her words, he glared at the general beside him, demanding to know what had happened before when Muxue first entered the East Camp border. The general sighed softly and spoke what he knew, not hiding the names of the soldiers who was involved.

"I see..." Tsai Xuan smiles held so much blood thirst that the soldiers all give a silent prayer to the ones who was involved with the bruise on Muxue's face.

While no one dared to speak or breathe, Muxue was laughing up a storm inside. She knew exactly that Tsai Xuan would not only punish those men who had hurt her, but the one who had thought to rape her would be as good as dead.

"I've already carried out their punishment" The general said carefully, seeing Tsai Xuan's blood thirst. "They're detain for three months and will be sent to the northeast line to be retrain"

"No" Tsai Xuan chuckled coldly. "I'll personally retrain them myself."

Then Tsai Xuan lifted his eyes to one of the nearby soldier causing the young man to stand up straighter in fear.

"Go back and make sure those involve stay until I'm back"

The soldier left so fast, disappearing like the wind himself. Tsai Xuan then turned back to Muxue like nothing happened, and once again, he reached out to touch her cheek. Feeling his callus fingers against her skin, Muxue moved away.

"Don't touch me" Muxue muttered quietly.

Tsai Xuan smile softly seeing Muxue's nervousness.

"Eat more"

He took his dagger and cut another small piece of meat from the roasting boar. Muxue didn't look at him while she shook her head.

"The Commander likes his women with some meat on their bodies. Skin and bones will not attract him"

Muxue knew the man was teasing her, but because she had to play her part, she turned to look at him with glaring eyes. Tsai Xuan grinned at her and waited until she finally leaned in to eat. Once again, he stared fixedly at her pink pouty lips as she ate - completely unaware that the woman was deliberately revealing her white neck and collar bone for him to admire.