01.7 - Lin Heng

Now 20 years old, Lin Heng stood tall and handsome. As the only son of the Prime Minister, the country expected great things from the young man who had recently scored the top mark in the imperial exams. Even though Lin Heng was the Prime Minister's heir and didn't require taking the exams, the young man proved himself honorable and impartial to the rule. The Emperor was not only impressed with Lin Heng, he bestowed the title "Prince Lin" to the young man – giving him the royal status of a 2nd rank prince.

Zhao Meixiang, of course, has heard of her supposed fiancé accomplishment. The humble man never spoke of it in their letters, but news spread throughout the country like wildfire. Unless Meixiang was living under a rock, she would hear the news. Plus, she was already prep by Bob before she entered this world. She knew beforehand that Lin Heng would gain such accomplishment. The second male lead, after all, was a very good man.

"Meixiang" Lin Heng finally let her go after holding her for so long.

When he saw her cheeks flushed pink, his heart immediately raced. For young man of Lin Heng's age, his heart would be tickled by the sight of a beautiful girl blushing – especially the girl he's fond of.

"I didn't think you'll be here in the Capital today... With your letter, I thought you're arrival be a few days later..." Lin Heng suppressed the urge to hug the lovely girl before him.

"Meixiang wanted to see the flower viewing... so asked father to head out sooner" Meixiang's voice have bloom into a sweet, lyrical one – causing the young man's heart before to melt even more. "Heng-ge... how have you been?"

To others, it appeared as if Meixiang was cautious and nervous. But inside, she was smiling, ear to ear. Lin Heng wanted to take hold of her hand, but Meixiang stepped back, not letting him touch her again. For a lady, she must not let a man touch her easily – even if he was her fiancé.

"Meixiang_"

"Heng" The deep, sexy voice caused Meixiang to look up, pass Lin Heng at the tall fourth prince. "Care to introduce us?"

The male lead truly is the male lead. Even though Lin Heng was a few centimeters taller than Zhuang Yi, the fourth prince emits an aura only a true blooded prince gives – the royal aura. Just as Meixiang wanted to admire that sexy man's appearance, her line of sight was blocked by Lin Heng's taller, stronger body. Startled, she looked up at Lin Heng to see his eyes darkened like he was upset. Blinking innocently, Meixiang continued to look up at the taller man knowing well it's dangerous to look away from those dark eyes. If she looked away, wouldn't it make her appear guilty for admiring another male beside her fiancé? Even if it's true, she wasn't stupid to admit it. Meixiang waited until Lin Heng's eyes lightened and softens before she coyly looked back down at her shoes.

"Heng?" Again, another voice caused Meixiang to look up.

This time it's the stunning female lead, Liu Jiaying who stood beside the fourth prince. Only when the female lead called that Lin Heng turned to face the two leading characters. While he introduced Meixiang to the couple, Meixiang quietly studied the leading lady of the story. True to her part, Liu Jiaying was indeed a rare beauty. The way she spoke wasn't refined like Meixiang, but her voice and tone was bright and cheerful. Her posture was tall and strong while Meixiang was soft and frail. Liu Jiaying gave people a sunny feeling, while Meixiang was quiet and calm like the moon. To put it simply, Liu Jiaying is the complete opposite of Zhao Meixiang.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you Lady Zhao" The fourth prince smiled. "It seems Heng here have been hiding you from us"

"Prince Yi" Lin Heng voice was stern, clearly telling the prince his jokes were not appreciated.

Zhuang Yi chuckled as if he didn't mind his friend's tone.

"Zhao Meixiang greets your highness Prince Zhuang Yi" Meixiang properly placed her hands to the side and curtsy like she would to any nobleman. "Meixiang greets Lady Liu..."

Meixiang had trained for years to become a proper lady. It was time to show it off.

"U_ Um" Liu Jiaying appeared startled at Meixiang's formal greeting.

Meixiang laughed inside because she understood why Liu Jiaying was uncomfortable. Liu Jiaying was a cheerful girl who loves freedom. She spent most of her time outside the Liu's estate, exploring the city or traveling to nearby provinces. Her reputation as a great musician was far and wide because she had travel to many places and met many scholars. On the other hand, Meixiang had done what any young woman of an aristocratic family would, that is to stay in her home and learn etiquette of a young lady. The only time Meixiang step outside the Zhao estate is if she was to attend other aristocratic family banquet – each time, she would remain quiet and polite like she was now. For Liu Jiaying, her interaction with other ladies was little, so in the face of a true lady like Meixiang, she was at a lost on how to respond. But Meixiang remain kind with a gentle smile and showed no sign of antagonism toward Liu Jiaying's ways of greeting.

Meanwhile, Lin Heng focus was on Meixiang, taking in her gracefulness and softness. Unconsciously, he had felt pride to see his fiancé greeting his friends so formally like she would with anyone she meets. The lovely girl did not change since the last time he saw her. And because his focus was on Meixiang, he missed Liu Jiaying's silent conflicting eyes on him. Meixiang, of course, took notice while the two young men did not. Seeing such controlled confliction in the other woman's eyes, Meixiang was impressed but showed no emotion in her eyes.

"Miss..." One Meixiang's little maids chose the time of silence to speak quietly to her mistress. "It's getting late..."

Meixiang smiled softly and nodded. Just as she was about to put her hand on the maid's lifted hand, Lin Heng grabbed it.

"Heng-ge" Meixiang looked up at Lin Heng with surprised.

"It's still early... and we barely spoke"

True, there were a few hours before the sun set, but Meixiang would not make it easy for Lin Heng to obtain what he wants.

"Heng-ge, father would be upset if Meixiang isn't home for dinner" Meixiang said softly, while she purposely tried to take her hand back from the man's tight grip. "Heng-ge"

"I will make sure to take you home in time" Lin Heng voice got deeper. "Meixiang, do you not miss me?"

Meixiang didn't say anything while her blushing cheeks answered Lin Heng's question. Seeing her cute reaction, Lin Heng smiled softly.

"Yes, the day is still early" Zhuang Yi suddenly spoke with a grin. "Why don't we all take a stroll in the garden to admire the spring flowers?"

Meixiang showed clear hesitation on her face.

"Meixiang" Lin Heng coerced with a gentle voice.

"But father..."

"Rest assured Lady Zhao, this prince will have his people sent a message to the Viscount" Zhuang Yi smile was also gentle. "Your father will not be upset"

Only then did Meixiang nod gently causing both men to smile warmly. All a while, Liu Jiaying was strangely quiet, her eyes were flickering from Lin Heng to Zhuang Yi. When Liu Jiaying's eyes met Meixiang, there was a flash of aversion. It had been so quick that no one noticed. Just like Liu Jiaying's nonchalant expression, Meixiang's expression held innocence.