Chapter 29

Chapter 29

I slipped on my heeled black boots. I sighed. Never in my life had I ever expected or prepared myself for killing- or rather executing my best friend. "You okay?" Mia asked at the doorway. I shrugged. "I never took the class of Executing Your Best Friend 101," I said.

"He's not exactly your best friend if he's out to get you," Mia pointed out.

"He's not out to get me, he's just- he's going through a hard time," I corrected.

"And you're still going to kill him?" Mia asked.

"It will put him at peace," I sighed. Mia shrugged, "Alright, you're the Alpha." She smiled and I smiled back. Jacob walked up to us and looked at me. "Ready?" he asked. I nodded. "Yeah." I still didn't know if I was though.

We arrived at the pack building in about ten minutes. A room was already being set up for Matt's execution. I was nervous and my hands were sweating. "Can you give me a moment? I have to go to the bathroom," I said. Jacob nodded then went over to talk to Clayton and Austin. I disappeared down the hall and into the ladies' bathroom. I locked the door then looked at myself in the mirror. My eyes were popping and stood out from my mascara and eye liner, my lips a bright red. My hair was down and straightened. I was wearing a plum one shoulder shirt and black jeans. I sighed and ran cold water and splashed it on my face and hands. "I can do this, I can do this," I whispered leaning against the sink.

Could I? I didn't know if I could, but would you be willing to kill your best friend even if it meant to save them?

I stood up straight and to the side. I looked at my stomach in the mirror. There was a small bump that would one day look like I swallowed a watermelon whole. "I can do this, right?" I asked the baby.

"Hey!" someone shouted pounding on the door outside, "Let me in!" I took one last look at myself then walked over to the door and unlocked it. "Come on- oh! Alpha Astrid, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were in there," Michelle, one of the workers at the pack building apologized. I nodded. "It's alright Michelle, I just needed a moment," I replied.

I walked past her and met Jacob, who was sitting down in the waiting area. Clayton was in there, leaning against the wall and Austin was sprawled out on some of the chairs reading Sports Illustrated. Once I entered the room, Jacob stood up and nudged Austin. Austin tossed the magazine aside and Clayton walked over to their sides. You okay? Jacob asked.

Yeah, I answered. Jacob took my hand and we followed Clayton and Austin into Matt's execution room. I could tell Matt was already in there by his yelling and screaming that had grown louder. I grew more nervous by the second. Clayton opened a steel door after pressing in a code. Matt stood in the middle, all twenty guards packed into the room. Matt was chained up, his eyes no longer the black color but back to their original. "Matt," I sighed. His eyes instantly locked on mine and he growled. "What do you want, bitch?!" he snarled. I heard Jacob growl beside me and I placed a hand against his chest to stop him from taking a step forward. "Don't," I stated looking into his eyes.

"Why do you get to have your mate and I don't?! It's not fair!" Matt yelled.

"It's that we're trying to be unfair, Matthew, we just couldn't have her live. What she was doing wasn't right," I told him.

"But killing her was?" Matt hissed.

"Matthew-" I started.

"Who was she? Say her name!" Matt ordered. I looked over to Jacob then back to Matt. "Abigail," I stated. Matt erupted into chaos, breaking his chains and sending all the guards on a frenzy to stop him. Matt charged at me.