Chapter 27

Chapter 27

I bit into her neck and she bit into my side. I was fighting back and yet making sure Abby never got the privilege to get near my baby.

Oh the stories I will tell this child....

I backed up and hit the wall, only glancing at Harley who I could tell was trying to focus on her surroundings and yet was trying so hard to stay alive. I looked past Abby and at Jacob. He was standing in the doorway completely torn whether he should shift and help fight or go to Harley's aid. I gave him a little clue. The next time you get a chance, take Harley out of here, I said. Jacob got out of his daze as soon as he heard my voice and shook his head. I can't risk your life, Jacob argued.

I'll be fine. Almost the whole pack his here. Harley will die if we don't help her. Besides you owe her for saving your life, I pointed out. Jacob furrowed his brow.

I jumped onto Abby and pushed her to the floor. Jacob, thankfully listened to me and ran over to Harley and picked her up, bridal style. He gave me one last look before rushing out of there as if a swarm of zombies was chasing after him. With my focus gone for a second, Abby managed to push me against the wall.

I stood back up and growled. I wasn't intimidated by her, not one bit. "Astrid!" someone yelled. Whoever it was, was running down the hallway and stopped by the door. At first when I saw them I didn't know whether to growl. After all, he was Abby's mate. "Step away," Matt growled. He walked into the room and stood by Abby's side. Abby looked at him with lust then back at me like she had an advantage. Abby shifted back and let out a laugh. "You don't seriously think you can take us both on, do you?" Abby asked. I looked back and forth from Matt to Abby.

Because you care about what I think, I thought. I growled again and lowered myself to the ground so I could jump onto whoever would take a try at me first.

Abby shrugged then shifted back. Her growl rang through the room like thunder. Show off. In one swift movement she leaped in the air, only to be tackled down by Harley who was screaming at her. I stumbled backwards and tripped over my own paws. "Go now!" Harley yelled at me. Abby pushed her off and growled at her, cornering her off. I shook my head frantically. "NOW!" Harley screamed.

Tears sprang into my eyes as I ran off and down the hall.

I froze at the top of the staircase and shifted back to my human form. The Wolves who were fighting Harley, Derek, and Nathan previously had broken through the windows and some places on the wall and were now fighting outside. "ASTRID!!!" Abby's voice hollered. I looked back and saw her figure slowly stomp towards me. I started breathing heavily and stepped back. One moment I was at the top of the stairs staring at my death to come, the next I was falling through air probably greeting the Grim Reaper. I screamed only thinking about the baby.

"Gotcha!" someone said once I landed in someone's flexed arms. I looked over and smiled at Derek. "Derek," I greeted. He smiled back. "I'll kill you!" Abby screamed at the top of the stairs at the same time we looked up at her. Derek placed me down. "Run, I'll take care of her," Derek said, his gaze locked on Abby. I shook my head. "No, I'm tired of your sister and you and about everyone else taking care of my problems," I told him.

"Astrid, I'm not going to argue," Derek stated. I crossed my arms. "Good, because I'm not going argue either, I'm your Alpha," I pointed out.

Derek looked back at me, his faced clouding with frustration. "Dammit!" he cursed. He shifted anyways and backed up so he could be my 'backup' I guess. Abby had taken her time, going down the stairs, her anger welling up inside her. "If I have to kill any Wolf that gets in my way, I will," Abby growled. I backed up. "Abigail, you're not doing what's right," I said.

"From your point of view," Abby replied.

We both shifted then went at each other again. A couple minutes in, Derek joined in, probably not taking anymore of it. Abby bit my tail making me squeal and jump. I glanced at her then went running outside, Abby on my tail, and Derek on hers. I skidded in the grass and looked at the chaos around me. Wolves were fighting, some bodies had littered the ground. A figure caught up with me and stopped in front of me. Abby growled. We slowly started to circle each other then in one clash went at it again. I was suddenly pushed to the ground, my fur coat getting dirty by the making. Abby was holding me by my neck.

I knew that if we were in human form she'd ask for my last words or some other crap, but all I thought about was my baby. Throughout this fight, all I kept thinking about was the precious miracle inside me. I could have had a second chance to be a mother, and Jacob could have had a second chance to be a father. The only way I was getting through the fight and being careful in the fight was for my baby. The baby was helping me through it. She or he was my main concern, whatever move I would make or Abby would I make I would make sure she didn't go near my stomach. The baby was like a glass object wrapped in cloth within me. One wrong move could have the baby dead.

I couldn't lose him or her. I simply needed them.

If I died right now, I would be happy. I had gotten farther into the pregnancy with this baby than the last. I had gotten a taste of what being a mother could have been, the worry, the joy, conversations. I had it all, just for a while however, but it was enough for me. I had been a mother. If I was to go now, it would be okay. I found my mate, I found Jacob. We had experienced ups and downs, love and anger but never hate. I had gotten to be a She Alpha and had had the best and most loving friends I could ask for. I had fought my past. I found my brother, Jordan. I had been a mother. I had done everything I wanted.

Okay, I'm ready, I said softly.