Chapter 23

Chapter 23

~Jacob~

Her scent hit me like a punch in the face. It was a couple of days old, clearly not fresh but I knew that was the right direction. I didn't bother sending out a mind link to people because I knew I would find her, somehow in my heart, I knew. I chased after the scent, my Wolf going crazy for her.

I paused when I finally found a mansion with a warehouse connected to it. It could have used a new coat of paint to freshen up the salmon and white colored paint, but from who was inside I knew they didn't give a damn about that. I sniffed the air, she was on the second floor. I shifted back into my human form and approached the house. "I'm coming, Astrid, I'm coming," I said.

*********

Somehow, the crazy bitch didn't have a guard for the front door and I was able to sneak inside. The front rooms and hallway was empty. I could tell it was a trap and that she found out I was coming or else I would have been bombarded with Wolves and guards by now, but even then, I was still going after my mate and rescuing her. Clayton, I've found out where Astrid is, I don't want to attack her pack just yet so I only want you to come. If I can only save Astrid, then I want you to be the one to take her away from me, I explained.

But, Jacob- Clayton started.

Follow my scent and listen to my orders, I said. I could practically see Clayton nod.

"Ahh!" someone had screamed. Even then I recognized it as Astrid. I followed the way of the scream, that led me up the stairs. When I arrived, I saw a long and dim lit hallway, all doors were metal and had a keypad with them. Astrid let out another scream that led me down the hallway and to a door on my left. I looked at the keypad, frustrated. Astrid was behind the door, I knew it. Besides the internal feeling coming from my Wolf and me, I could smell her scent and fresh blood.

"Going somewhere?" a low voice asked behind me. I looked out of the corner of my eye at two large men standing behind me. There was no doubt that they had come from the door across from this one, I was just too focused on the fact that I had found Astrid and that her blood was dripping. "Maybe," I stated. Right before I turned around, the metal door in front of me slid open and the men pushed me inside, letting me fall to the ground.

"Alpha Jacob, I'm glad you could make it. You're very late you know," Abigail said. I pushed myself up and stared at Abigail, seeing that she was the only thing between my mate and I. "What is this Wonderland?" I asked.

"I guess we know who the Queen of Hearts is," Astrid replied. I smiled at her. Abigail ignored her. "Let Astrid go, I understand you have some self esteem issues-" I started.

"Major self esteem issues," Astrid added. Abigail and I both gave her a look. Don't make things worse, I told her.

It's fun, she stated. I internally rolled my eyes. Let me deal with Abigail, I said.

Fine James Bond, tell me when you need your desk assistant Becky for help, Astrid replied somewhat snotty. I took in a sigh, making Astrid smile. I missed that smile. "Will you two stop flirting?!" Abigail snapped. I growled at her. "Let Astrid go," I said through clenched teeth. Abigail smirked and crossed her arms over her chest. "And what are you going to do about it, Jake? Sue me?" Abigail asked.

"That would be the least of your problems," I replied. Abigail smiled, turned around, and walked to the back of Astrid. Once Abigail was out of my way, I noticed Astrid's left hand open, palm side up, with a cut that was now healing the trail of dried blood was down her leg. Abigail had used her to lead me to the room. "What do you want, Abigail?" I asked.

"Abigail? Psh, that's too 'you're in trouble'. It's Abby," Abigail corrected. I rolled my tongue in my mouth. "What do you want, Abigail?" I hissed, practically pointing out every word to her. Abby glared at me. "To be honest, I want you dead. Both of you, the whole almighty pack of the two Alphas. One is an actual Alpha, the other is more of a so-called," Abby told me.

"Why did you bring me in here? I know that you would have guards swarming the place and yet I haven't seen a single one except the one that tossed me in here. Do you want me in here so I could see my mate die with my own eyes, being here when it happens?" I asked. It hurt to spit the words out, especially when my imagination turned on me and played out Astrid's death. "No," Abby smiled, "But that is a good idea, Jacob. However, I'm not doing it."

"So what do you want?" Astrid pipped. I looked at her. She seemed as agitated as I was only I could tell she wanted nothing more than to be by my side and in my arms. Not only could I see it, but I felt it. Abby stared at the camera that was in the wall beside her. "You're a pretty popular Alpha, are you not?" Abby asked me. I raised my eyebrow. "I wouldn't call myself popular. I'm just well known is all. Why?" I answered. Abby gave me a wicked smile. "How do you feel about a double kill?" Abby asked. I looked at Astrid who was staring at me teary eyed. She shook her head at me. "Double kill?" I asked my attention back on Abigail.

"Yes," she stated. I swallowed and looked back at Astrid. I'm here, Alpha, Clayton stated, Should I come inside?

No, stay there, until I tell you, I replied. I mind linked Astrid next. You need to listen to me, I said.

What are you talking about? I don't want you to mean what I think you're meaning, she replied.

Astrid, I love you, you know that, but whatever happens- I started.

"Jacob please," Astrid begged throwing the mind link in the trash. Abigail smiled and looked back and forth at us. "Saying your goodbyes?" Abby asked.

"Jacob I don't want to lose you, not ever, this baby, me, the pack, we need you. If I can't live without you then I won't survive," Astrid told me.

Now, come now, I ordered Clayton. I closed my eyes and shifted into my Wolf. I tore off Astrid's binding to the chair and she screamed at me to stop. Clayton came bursting in, human form, and grabbed Astrid. "Astrid, we need to leave now!" Clayton yelled as I cornered Abigail.

"I can't leave him! I can't leave him!" Astrid screamed. Abigail's eyes wickedly stayed on Astrid's as Clayton pulled her out, her constant screaming and objecting fading. Abigail relaxed and leaned into the wall. "That was a bold move you played, Jacob," Abigail told me. I sensed the guards in the room now and I shifted back.

"It seems the tables have turned, gentlemen," Abigail stated.