Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Jacob led me down the hallway that seemed to never end. We were heading to the cells and I was worried. My brother was alive, Jordan was alive. I hadn't seen him since I was five. Would he even remember me? Would he look the same? Was he even like the little ten year old boy I had known when I was five? When finally arrived, I felt my hands grow sweaty. A guard pried the door open and Jacob stepped inside with me tagging behind, Clayton behind me. We walked down the steps, our shoes patting them like a hand patting someone's back. We approached a cell where a mottled grey wolf was thrashing around, circling in a cell.

"Is that him?" I asked.
"There's just something wrong," Clayton said. I looked back at him, his arms were crossed as he stared at my brother. "What?" I asked looking back. The wolf suddenly noticed he had guests and ran up to the cell trying to bite and scratch us. He even made almost all of his front leg go through the bars. He snarled at us as we backed away.

"He doesn't know who he is," Jacob told me.
"Where'd you find him?" I asked.
"We didn't find him. Some Rogues brought him to the borders. They claimed he was apart of their gang and had tumbled off a waterfall's edge when he was protecting them and was chased," Clayton explained.
"He has amnesia," Jacob added.
"Jordan," I said stepping close to his cell. He was now standing on the ground growling at us. Jordan looked up to me and glared at me as his growls got louder. "Jordan," I said again squatting down by his cell, "I'm Astrid. I'm your sister."

Jordan shifted into his human form and peered his eyes at me. He still had his milk chocolate light brown hair and sapphire blue eyes. "I don't have a sister," he said.
"Astrid," Jacob said placing a hand on my shoulder. I brushed it off. "No Jordan, I'm your sister. You were born on August 8, 1991. I'm give years younger than you. Right now I'm eighteen and you're twenty three. You're favorite color is green, you're favorite animal is a bear, and you loved to tease me when we were little even though you'd get in trouble," I explained. Tears trickled down my cheeks.

Jordan looked around as if the answers would flow back to him. "I don't remember ever having a sister. I know two girls, Renee and Ebony," Jordan replied.
"That's because you got amnesia. You were protecting Renee and Ebony," I said. Jordan took a moment and nodded when the memory came back. His eyes flickered up at me and he smiled. "Astrid."

*******

"So he's dead?" Jordan asked. I nodded. "He's dead," I clarified.
"And I'll be an uncle?" Jordan asked.
"Yes, you'll be an uncle," I answered. Jordan sat down in the grass. "Wow," he said. I sat down next to him, on the carpet of the forest. "I got you caught up though," I stated.
"Yeah. By a lot," Jordan replied. He looked down at the ground. "Did you ever see Mom or Dad after we were split apart?" Jordan asked. I shook my head. "No. I became a Rogue too although I hadn't had my Wolf yet," I said.
"I don't want to think about it, but how do you think they died?" Jordan asked. I studied him for a moment. His brown hair had the sunlight glistening on his hair that made it look slightly red.

"Torn apart," I whispered looking at my feet. I hit the backs of my shoes together. "But thinking of us," I added looking back up at Jordan.
"Yeah," Jordan said simply.
"We have each other though. I'm glad I have some family left," I replied.
"Ebony's my mate," Jordan said. I remembered her slightly. She had raven black hair, a couple freckles by her nose, green eyes, and was very shy and nervous around our pack and pack members. "Really?" I asked.
"Our son, Oliver, is four," Jordan said. I remembered a little boy curled up in Ebony's arms when Clayton opened up their cell. He was a boy with Jordan's hair and Ebony's eyes. At the time I thought they were pack members or she was his babysitter or something.

"He was very handsome," I said.
"Thank you."
"Will you have any more?"
"Maybe in the future when Oliver is a little older."
"He'll be a great cousin."
"I'm sure he'll like his first cousin. Ebony is an only child so it'll be different having a sister-in-law for her."

"You're back," Jacob said when Jordan and I walked through the door. Oliver came running up to greet his dad. "Daddy!" he cheered hugging his legs. I smiled. "Hey, bud! What've you been doing?" Jordan asked.
"Jacob got some colors and coloring page for me," Oliver answered. I looked over at Jacob, leaning in the kitchen with a Mountain Dew, gazing at me. I blushed under his eyes. "That was nice of you Jacob, thank you," Jordan said as we sat down in the living room. Jacob shrugged and sat down next to me. "The tyke needed something to do," Jacob replied.
"Thank you Jacob," Oliver said as he got back to coloring a rocket ship. "Anytime, Oliver. Ask your uncle and pal, Jacob and I'll get you anything," Jacob replied. Oliver nodded then pulled out a red crayon.

For dinner, we ordered pizza and caught up some more. Jacob explained that I was a She Alpha and some other things, Ebony told me more about herself although she was quite nervous doing so, and Oliver kept rambling on about his favorite things and adventures he had had. I felt like it was Thanksgiving except, there wasn't a whole bunch of people and our turkey was more like pizza.

Jordan, Ebony, and Oliver took one of our guest rooms for the night, by my demand. Jordan said that my little sister ways were still the same and that I was stubborn when it came to my color of cotton candy, which was blue. I wanted nothing to do with that pink stuff that look like a unicorn threw it up. I wanted the pegasus vomit instead. His memories of me were coming back one by one and it made me jump for joy inside.

"How do you like your brother-in-law?" I asked as I climbed into bed. I looked over to Jacob who was leaning against the bathroom doorway, brushing his teeth. Jacob moved the toothbrush out of his mouth and answered, "He's pretty cool. Ebony is too, considering I don't have to deal with the crazy freaks around here all the time."
"Watch who you're talking to, bud. You may end up sleeping on the couch tonight," I warned pulling the sheets around me. Jacob rolled his eyes and started scrubbing his teeth again. Some foamy toothpaste fell out of his mouth and landed on his bare chest. I laughed.

"Payback is a bitch isn't it?" I asked as Jacob groaned.
"And so is karma," Jacob said.
"Maybe their twins," I suggested. Jacob flashed me a smile before walking into the bathroom to finish brushing his teeth.

******

"So this is your high and mighty brother?" Alicia asked, her eyes scanning over Jordan.
"If you want to call him high and mighty, yeah," I answered looking over at Jordan.
"I have to quiz him," Alicia told me.
"What?" I asked.
"It's okay, Astrid," Jordan said smiling. We walked into a meeting room, being that we were at the pack building and sat down.

"Age?" Alicia asked.
"Twenty three," Jordan answered.
"Nice age. How old were you when Vincent took over?"
"Ten. I got separated by hiding up in a tree where my mother told me to hide. It's a terrible place to watch people be mauled and attacked."
"Tragic."
"Very."
"Where did you go afterwards?"
"I waits up for a couple of hours, but when they finally left I stayed for some extra minutes before knowing it was safe. I found some other survivors, my friend Carter, a lady, Anna, and her twenty year old son, Parker."
"You stayed with them?"
"Yes. Until we were all old enough to go our own ways." Alicia raised an eyebrow. "Favorite color?"
"Green."
"Favorite sport?"
"Baseball."
"TV show?"
"M*A*S*H and That 70's Show."
"Oldies."
"They're enjoyable." Alicia nodded and looked over to me. "He checks out good," she told me.
"He always did," I replied.