Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I rolled over and covered myself back up. I couldn't sleep without a blanket or covers on me, I felt safe that way.

I blinked my eye open to see a figure hovering over me. "Ahh!" I screamed frantically trying to get away. I somehow manage to forget I was on a bed, flipped off of it, and landed on my stomach. "Oh my gosh," I gasped looking at the carpet.
"Finally you're awake. You know you're slowing us down with you're sleeping in," Harley said getting comfy on the previously occupied bed. It didn't feel like home so last night it took me a while to fall asleep in a hotel. I sat up. "I apologize for sleeping. It's not like I don't need it or anything," I replied. I ran a hand through my hair. "Well on some occasions I care to differ about if you need sleep, scientist would probably beg to differ though," Harley told me then sat up, "Now, go to the bathroom so we can get out of this joint. I don't like hotels or motels so I can't stay here very long before I blow the place up." I raised an eyebrow.

"What?" Harley asked as I stood up.
"Oh, it's nothing I just was thinking that your self esteem level is pretty high," I said. She pointed at the bathroom. "Go," she ordered. I rolled my eyes and headed to the bathroom, when I got there I tried mind linking but got nothing. Harley must have given me a new injection while I was sleeping. I groaned in annoyance then went to do my business.

We were on the road again by twelve o'clock. We were somewhere in the middle of Oklahoma. Last night we continued our trip finishing off Kansas. And all I did while Harley sang along to some Led Zepplin song was wonder what it was like back home. Did people miss me? Did Jacob miss me? Or was he happy I was gone so he didn't have to deal with me and my glumness because I longer had his baby? It ruined me to know that he might not want me or even love me anymore.

It scared me, only because I loved Jacob with all my heart and I didn't want to lose him.

"Who's this?" I asked resting my head against the window to look outside. I had been lost in thought. "Please tell me you didn't actually say that," Harley pleaded.
"I'm being serious. I don't usually listen to rock bands so why not educate me," I said.
"This is The Who you nincompoop," Harley replied.
"Nice comeback," I told her. She looked over at me and smiled. "I'll let you borrow it sometime," Harley replied.
"It's too late for that, I'm pretty sure that the entire population of the world has used it once or twice," I told her. Harley rolled her eyes. I looked out the window again until a question formed in my mind. I looked over to Harley.

"Why don't you like mates?" I asked. Harley glanced over at me with her eyebrow raised then focused back on the road. "What?" she asked. I turned down the volume of the CD playing. "Why don't you like mates?" I repeated, "You said before that 'mates are for chums'. Why don't you like them?" Harley's hands clenched the steering wheel. "Bad experience," Harley said.
"How so? If you don't mind me asking," I replied. Harley sighed. "His name was Henry, but everyone called him Hank," Harley explained, "Every girl wanted to be with him. I never knew him, but when I showed up in town, I instantly felt the connection with him. He felt it too, I know he did. Only, he didn't acknowledge me. One day, I went up to him and asked him why he wasn't claiming me as his. You know what he said? I reject you. Fuck that shit. So I didn't trust anyone then. My goodie girl self if you can believe it, changed. And let me tell you I prefer this me. A couple years ago I saw him at a bar. I sat next to him. He didn't even recognize me that prick. In fact, he tried something on me."
"What'd you do?" I asked.
"I brought him to my room. And right when he was expecting action, I shoved it in his face. Before I had given him a fake name, Madison," Harley let out a laugh, "You should have seen his face. He looked me up and down then started apologizing. He was a sorry loser."
"Then what? You didn't kill him did you?" I asked. Harley looked over to me.
"No. I didn't. He probably didn't even have a broken heart when he rejected me, but I did. I sure as hell did. So I pinned him to the bed, leaned down, and said 'I reject you'," Harley answered. She started shaking her head. "I should have done something else. I should have made him feel the pain I went through when he broke my heart," Harley told me.

"He's still out there though?" I asked. Harley nodded. "He and I have moved on. He might have hooked up with someone or something, I don't know. I've tried to move on, and he will too, the only problem will be is that we won't feel fully satisfied," Harley said.

"So you're mates even though he rejected you?" I asked.
"In a way, yes. As much I would love to stay away from him and have nothing to do with him, I can't stand feeling this emptiness inside of me. I need him although I can't stand him," Harley explained. I hesitantly placed a hand on her shoulder. Harley looked at me. "I can't imagine the pain you go through everyday. I don't think I could stand being without Jacob. It's like we're the same," I told her. Harley shook my hand off her shoulder.

"We are not the same!" she spat, "You, have fallen under the spell of having a mate. You think you can't live without him but you're wrong. You can! I have for the past three years lived without Hank. It may be painful and empty but you can survive. Whether or not you choose that life is your decision."
"Couldn't you have still been with Hank?" I asked.
"Yes and it would have rekindled the bond we could of had. But why should I when he wouldn't give me the time of day. I would rather him rot in hell than-"
"Oh you don't mean that," I interjected.
"And why not?" Harley asked.
"He's your mate," I said. Harley scoffed. "He'll still feel empty and regret what he did that day. No matter what he does-" I tried to explain. I hated that she didn't have a mate. Everyone deserves their other half.

"He probably tries to find a new mate by meeting new girls and taking them under the night sky. No matter what he will do, he'll never get his mate. He doesn't deserve me, he doesn't earn his prize and he never will," Harley told me. I looked down to my lap frustrated. Harley wanted a mate, you could tell. Sure she wouldn't admit it but she wanted one. I was glad I wasn't rejected. The only other person I knew who was rejected was Alicia and she chose that. In fact, her reaction was nothing like Harley had described.

Maybe it was because Alicia had found her true love. The love that had conquered her mate love. Harley just simply needed her true love. Maybe it wasn't Hank and it was someone else. I would have to ask Alicia if she felt the emptiness still even when she was with Nathan.

"So... Marla?" I asked after a long pause. Harley looked over at me and smiled. "Yeah," she simply stated.

-------------------------------

There's Harley's back story! In fact I was thinking of making her a story. Good idea? Yes? No?

Oh and by the way Harley's last name will not be Davidson. :)