Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Something slammed against Abby sending her flying and a sharp pain in my neck. I looked over to see Jacob, Wolf form and standing over Abigail. The terror on her face made me smile. I climbed back onto my feet as Jacob took Abigail's life away. Her 'pack' must have felt it because they all froze on the dot, whether they were attacking my pack or being held down. I shifted back. "It's over," I stated.

My pack members shifted back into their human forms and stepped away from their opponents. I felt the back of my neck to feel bite marks and fresh blood. "Astrid, we have to go back home," Jacob said, "You need to see the pack doctor." I raised my finger telling him to wait. I looked around as I felt my connection break with someone.

Suddenly, Matt came storming out of the damaged house charging towards me. "You killed her! You killed her!" he screamed as some of my pack members held him back. I looked over at Abby's now dead human body then back at Matt. His eye color was now black. I swallowed. "Get him out of here and take him back to our pack prison," Jacob ordered. More pack members had to come hold Matt back as he fought against them. Clayton approached us as Matt got dragged away screaming at Jacob and me. "Make a full watch on him, twenty guards," Jacob said.

"Twenty?" I asked, pipping in. Clayton and Jacob looked at me. "Yes, the effect of losing a mate is the worst anyone can bare," Jacob answered, "Something snaps, the will to live almost. Some Wolves die right away after losing them, others are strong enough with anger and revenge that they survive. That's why Vincent still lived." I looked back in the direction where Matt was.

If he had the chance, he would come back and try to kill Jacob and me. He could even be successful. I placed a hand on my stomach. "Let's get you back," Jacob said.

*****

Six weeks later and we still couldn't help Matt. Jacob and I were warned to stay away. Clayton and Austin were the only ones aloud near him besides the twenty other guards. But all I wanted to do was go near him and explain why we did what we did. Matt wasn't the guy I used to know. He was now dark and had so much hate within him that he didn't even care about anyone. Scott, Emma, Jacob, and I split up the leftover Wolves we took over, making our packs grow thirty more Wolves each.

"Hey," I greeted Harley. She was sitting on top of a hill, looking down at the sparkling lake. Harley didn't even look away. "Can I join you?" I asked her. Harley nodded. We sat in silence for a while, admiring the sunset that seemed to make the lake more beautiful. "What's going to happen with Matt?" Harley asked, breaking the silence.

"I'm not sure, but I think we'll have to execute him," I said looking at my hands. I didn't want one of my best friends to die, even if his mate was our enemy. "That must be tough," Harley said.

"Yeah, I've known him a long time," I replied. Harley looked over to me then took my hand. I looked up at her shocked.

She wasn't the kind of person who shows she cares or that she would be there for you or shows any type of affection.

"Harley, I-" I started.

"Don't go all saying you love me and shit. I don't feel like starting a relationship," Harley interrupted. We laughed lightly. "Speaking of relationships, I mean, I know you don't have a mate and that you probably don't even believe in love or anything anymore but would you ever consider being in a relationship at all? Or at least date someone?" I asked. Harley sighed and dropped her hold on my hand. "That, I don't know. I mean, I'm sure there's love out there and maybe I could find it or maybe it's just not for me. I honestly am always open for a relationship, but love? Hell, I have no idea," Harley answered.

"But you're open to the idea?" I asked.

"Sure, why not. And if the guy treats me like some Elle Woods girl, I'll neuter him and walk out of his life, he will not walk out of mine," Harley told me. I smiled. "You know, we have a guy in our pack, his name is Harry, he doesn't have a mate anymore either. Alicia, you know, she fell in love with Nathan and I guess true love even conquered their mates. Maybe you could meet him someday," I suggested.

"Maybe," Harley replied.

"Astrid! Astrid!" someone called. Harley and I turned around to see Jay running towards us. "What is it?" I asked.

"Alpha Jacob needs you at the pack building," Jay answered. I looked back at Harley. "Go, your mate awaits," Harley stated. I gave her a small smile before getting up and following Jay.

********

"What do you mean soon?" I asked frowning. The discussion about killing Matt quicker than what was originally planned was angering me. "Matt deserves to grieve and mourn over his loss. He lost his mate for crying out loud," I argued.

"The only way he can grieve is by killing us," Jacob replied.

"He might even go farther than that and kill our pack and Scott's, being that they were involved," Clayton added. I shook my head. "He's my friend," I said quietly. Jacob placed a hand on my back. "Clayton and I can take out the execution," Austin suggested. I shook my head. "No," I objected sending their heads turning towards me with surprise.

"Astrid-" Jacob started.

"I mean no as in them doing it," I corrected, "I'm doing it. I'll execute Matt."

"What?" Jacob, Clayton, and Austin said together.

"I will," I assured them. Although, I didn't think I was so sure myself. "He'll kill you," Austin said.

"I'm doing it. I've known Matt forever and I've been a bitch to him, a friend, and almost everything in between. I'll do it," I explained. I scooted my chair back and left the meeting room.

******

"Maybe you should think this through!" Jacob told me following me up the stairs. I shook my head. "What is there to think about?" I asked. I went up to our bedroom and sat down on the bed and ran my fingers through my hair. "Well do you really think this is the best idea?" Jacob asked standing in front of me. I looked up at him. "What else is there to do? We have to do this," I told him. Jacob sighed and sat beside me rubbing my back. "Them we'll do it together, Astrid," he said placing a hand on my stomach that was just starting to bulge, "All of us."

-------------------------------

Are you guys happy now? NO WORRIES IT IS NOT THE END! I'm going to try and make it at least 2 chapters longer than the first book. Then it's off to The She Alpha's Bite! Yay! I will try to put the last chapter up of this book and the first chapter or two up of the 3rd book up at the same time.