Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I ignored the dumbfounded Jacob and the pain in my heart as I turned back around and finished the last couple of stairs and found Harley in a cell. "Harley! Oh my God! I am so sorry, none of them should have done this to you. They have no right, they need approval from both alphas and lately I've been treated as a Luna," I rambled holding onto the cold grey bars. Harley was laying down on the cot-like bed, her hands behind her head as she stared up at the ceiling. "I can tell. That slap in the face must have been pretty hard by the sound of it," she told me. I looked back at Jacob who was walking this way, his head facing the ground.

I looked back at Harley. "I'm going to get you out, okay? Just give me a moment," I said.
"Sure," Harley replied, "Take your time, I'm perfectly comfortable in here." I turned away from her cell and faced Clayton and Jacob. "Get her out," I ordered.
"I'm not authorized to do that," Clayton said.
"Well fuck your authorization! I'm your Alpha for crying out loud!" I yelled at him. Clayton made a wary glance at Jacob who was still facing the floor. I raised an eyebrow and stepped. "You can't," I said in a hushed tone while shaking my head, "I'm an Alpha."

Jacob finally looked up, his blue eyes watching me. "You haven't been involved lately and I think it's for the best-" Jacob started.
"The reason I haven't been involved is because you've locked me up in our damn house!" I hollered. Jacob swallowed, his jaw clenching something that got my heart pounding. "It has been for your safety," Jacob said quieter. An Alpha, a male Alpha was speaking quietly to a female. That was something that could be put in Buzzfeed.

"So you're saying when Bridget comes along I should keep you locked up in a cell until she leaves?" I hissed crossing my arms. Jacob's eyes suddenly turned dark with anger and his eyebrows furrowed. "That's highly unlikely being that I'm an Alpha," Jacob sneered. I shook my head. "You didn't change a bit. You said I would be an Alpha. You said that we would be equal, but now you're just throwing it all away and we have to go back to the beginning! I am a she alpha. I will not be treated as if I am in a lower ranking than your or Clayton!" I raised my voice. I swallowed and flinched as I felt the burning lump in my throat grow.

"I can't stand you and I think it would be best if I leave," I said somehow without croaking. The pain in my chest was growing. The anger disappeared in Jacob's eyes and turned to sorrow. "What?" he asked.
"I'm not being treated fairly, not the way I'm supposed to be treated. So I'm going to let you exchange those potty training diapers for real underwear and maybe that'll make this relationship be better than it seems," I explained. I glanced at Harley who had gotten to her feet at one point and was watching all the action from the cell bars. "You can't do that," Jacob told me.

I looked back at him and got into his face. "Just like I can't be an Alpha Female? Just like I can't have a say in anything? Just like I can't bare a child the first time? Well watch me, because I'll prove you wrong."

I pushed past him, making him stumble to the side and walked up the stairs and out of the pack building.

When I arrived home, I packed a bag. I placed a couple pairs of clothes, a toothbrush and toothpaste in it, even sliding Wrinkles into it after laying a kiss on its head. I took in a deep breath, just thankful that no one was around. I slid the backpack straps on my bag and edged closer to the front door, taking in my last smell of the place I called home. I grabbed the doorknob and opened the door wide open and taking in the trees that were scattered around in front of me. I slipped in my earbuds and started walking out of my territory as I listened to 'Never Get to Heaven' by Sarah Blaine.

*********

I sat down in the grass, no where near Scott's or Jacob's territory. I had memorized the pack grounds and knew I was basically in the middle of nowhere. I classified myself as ex Alpha, now Rogue on the run. I wanted nothing to do with my homeland now. The pain in my heart hand grown strong and thick since I left and was bothering me. I didn't reject Jacob so the pain wasn't as bad as that. It was just hard to bare.

I grabbed a leaf from the ground and twirled it around. "Mommy's tired, babe," I told my baby. Memories of talking to my previous one just a day before it died. I needed to keep my stress level down, although now and the position I was in, I didn't think I could. "What do you want to be called?" I asked, "I would talk to Daddy about names, but he's not here. I don't know if he'll ever be." A single tear streamed down my face and I wiped it away. After a sniffle, I said, "But it's okay because life can't be perfect and be a fairy tale. There's a lot of shit out there and crap you don't want to here. There's also people that want to hurt you, in ways you couldn't think possible, but I just want you to know that Mommy is here and will always be here for you. Always."

"Astrid?" I looked up as a familiar blonde walked over. I smiled and stood up. "Matt," I said and stealing a hug from him, "How are you?"
"Pretty good, what about Astrid? Any Alphas after you?" Matt chuckled. I forced a smile on my face and let out a shaky laugh. "Not at the moment," I lied, "What have you been up to?"
"Nothing much. I found my mate," Matt said kicking a leaf.
"That's great! Is she nice?" I asked.
"She's something," Matt said.

"I'm so happy for you," I replied.
"So where's the gang? I'm surprised you're all alone. You are all alone right?" Matt asked. I looked over at him and smiled, but found something in his eyes that wasn't familiar and like Matt at all. "Yeah," I answered, "All alone with no one except myself and my baby."
"No way? Congratulations!" Matt picked me up and twirled me around, it reminded me of when he first asked me out. How far away that was from now was incredible. "Thanks, it's the second time around," I said. Matt placed me down. "What do you mean? You've already moved onto a second kid already? Wow, Astrid you're on a roll, changing the Wolf world, making babies. You could be the next Ghandi."

I chuckled. "I don't think so. And uh, no. I lost the first one," I told him.
"Oh, I'm sorry," Matt said.
"It's okay, I have another start now," I replied. Isn't that the truth, I thought. "Maybe we should catch up," Matt suggested, "I mean I've been gone for a while."
"Yeah sure," I answered. Matt's face grew serious and he stopped walking. "How about now?" he asked. I raised an eyebrow. "Now? Um- I-" I stuttered.

"Oh come on now, Astrid, it's just some catching up. Or are you too good for that now too?" someone asked. Suddenly, Abigail landed from jumping out of a tree in front of me and more people landed on the ground. I looked over at Matt, my breathing quickening. "You!" I gasped. Matt shook his head. "I can't stop her," he mumbled. What did that mean? I looked back at Abigail who was smirking. "Well done, Matthew. You may have been useful," Abigail told him. He swallowed. "Oh, Astrid! I'm sorry, I shouldn't be rude, Astrid meet Matthew, my mate."

---------------------------------
Boom! Shakalaka! Yeah, that's all I have to say...