Sneak Peek: Peace from Pieces

Chapter 0

May 2017

"Hey Nailah, Dr. Perkins is still down in labor and delivery with Mrs. Avis' twins. He asked if you could take a few of his patients before you left," Nurse Kandace queried from the doorway.

"Uh sure but I have to be out of no later than 12:30 to make it to Tylan's awards ceremony. Also, you need to check to make sure that their insurance covers them seeing a nurse practitioner, " I replied glancing at the wall clock for the time. It was now 11:25 and I had time but didn't like to be rushed when seeing patients. Pregnancy was a beautiful thing but scary for some moms, especially new ones.

"Already ahead of you Dr. Richards, " Kandace rebutted emphasizing the doctor.

"Kandace, we talked about-"

"We did, and I told you, you went to school and got a doctorate degree, so I'm calling you doctor. Your first patient is Noelle Davis. She's just here to confirm her pregnancy. Urine test and lab work have been done already, and she is indeed pregnant. Vaginal ultrasound shows her at around 5weeks, so we will have to schedule another visit in a few weeks for her official first appointment".

"Okay. This should be relatively simple. Send her in," Nailah replied distractedly as she moved to clear the clutter on her desk. She didn't want the patient to feel she was less credentialed or professional as a nurse practitioner. Nailah neatly stacked her papers on her desk and adjusted the wedding photo of her and her husband Tyler, along with the family picture of them with their ten-year-old son Tylan.

Nailah and Tyler were high school sweethearts. They started dating at 16, married at 24 and had their first and only child by 26. They both maintained their relationship while going to separate college and finally moving back home after receiving their degrees.

A light knock on my door turned my attention to Kandace and the gorgeous petite woman beside her. She was stunning, rich chocolate skin with a smile that seemed to light up the room. Her hair was pulled into a high ponytail showing off her prominent cheekbones and perfectly arched eyebrows.

"Noelle this is Dr. Richards, our nurse practitioner and she will be seeing you today instead of Dr. Perkins," Kandace announced pulling me out of a trance. I stood from the desk and walked around to the front of it offering her my hand and an introduction. Kandance dismissed herself from the room as Noelle made her way over to one of two camel colored suede armchairs in front of her desk. Instead of sitting behind her desk, Nailah retrieved Noelle's file from atop it slightly bumping her wedding photo. Once extracting the file, Nailah took a seat beside Noelle and crossed her right leg over her left.

"So congratulations are in order. You are officially five weeks pregnant, " Nailah beamed at her as Noelle offered her a small smile in return. Nailah observed the young lady's eyes shift between her, her desk, and the door as Nailah informed her of how critical this time was in her pregnancy and things she should watch out for. Nailah stopped mid-explanation sensing the young girl's mind was elsewhere.

"Is everything okay, Ms. Davis? You seem a bit distracted," Naliah questioned with concern.

Noelle studied the poised woman in front of her intently as she flipped through her file. Noelle took in her desert sand colored skin, full pink lips, and wavy hair. Her almond-shaped eyes were flanked by long full eyelashes surrounded by a fresh face. Noelle's eyes discreetly roamed her figure taking in her thick thighs and toned calves. Her curvy hips jutted out in her seat and were visible even with the lab coat she was wearing.

"Is- Is th-at your hus-band... and son," Noelle choked out never letting her eyes leave the perfectly silver plated framed picture.

"Yes," Nailah beamed reaching for their family photo, " this is my husband of twelve years, Tyler, and his twin Tylan," Nailah chuckled. Tylan was every bit of his father only inheriting Nailah's curly coils.

"But- but that's my fiance and child's father, " Noelle confessed finally locking eyes with a wide glassy-eyed Nailah.

Soooo... what did you think? I need your honest feedback. This story will probably be dropped in the new year. I just want to get your feedback. I've only written one book so I don't have much to go off of.