Chapter 44: I'll be Here

Before I get started, someone asked me what was the purpose of "Cherry Soliloquy"

Before I get started, someone asked me what was the purpose of "Cherry Soliloquy". It was the voice of one of the characters, guess who? She needed that moment to express herself. You don't like it, skip over it. *insert shrug here* 

"And we'll discuss our big dreamsHow we plan to take over the planetSo pardon my mannersI hope you'll understand that I'll be hereNot there in the kitchenWith the girl who's always gossiping about her friendsSo tell them I'll be here"

How we plan to take over the planet
So pardon my manners
I hope you'll understand that I'll be here
Not there in the kitchen
With the girl who's always gossiping about her friends
So tell them I'll be here"

The next day

"Mrs. Tate, your eight o'clock appointment is here," the front office attendant called.

"Great send them in," I said shuffling the papers on my desk and moving them over to the roundtable where Zach and Mrs. Smith, the social worker, were already seated.

"Auntie, why are we here," I heard Alana say from outside the door.

"Because your counselor said there were some things that we needed to square away before you left. I'm not coming back to Alabama, so whatever it is, we need to make sure that everything is good," I heard her aunt reply followed by some knocks on the door. I turned my head towards the door where the student aide was waiting for permission to enter.

"Thank you Jordan, I'll take it from here," I said dismissing the aide and spreading my arms to invite Alana and her aunt in the room.

"Good morning Alana and Mrs. James. I'm Mrs. Tate, the counselor, and this is Zachary Tate, my husband, and you know Mrs. Smith, your social worker," I spoke while gesturing to each person. Alana and her aunt took a seat at the table with looks of confusion, which I expected. I wasn't able to get her on the phone last night and left a voicemail. I wasn't even sure that she would show.

"I see the look of confusion on your faces, so let me explain why we're here. Yesterday, Alana informed me about her mother's passing and her relocating to Iowa. She also expressed her concerns about moving and wanting to stay to finish out what she started here. At the time, I didn't have any concrete information for Alana, and she left my office abruptly. However, I have come up with a solution, if you all are willing," I said looking at the hopeful face of Alana and the bewildered face of her aunt, Leah.