Chapter 6: Peaceful Slumber

I opened my eyes and blinked them repeatedly trying to adjust to the light peering in through the window treatments on the French doors leading to the balcony

 I opened my eyes and blinked them repeatedly trying to adjust to the light peering in through the window treatments on the French doors leading to the balcony. I rolled over, turning my back towards the sun. I blindly felt around on the nightstand for my cell phone. It was mid-June and school was out, and my body knew it. 11:37, is what the clock read. I jolted up from the bed. 

Evidently, this was a bad idea because I felt the bile rising up in the back of my throat. I hurriedly ran to the bathroom to release the contents of my stomach. I wretched and heaved as my body rid itself of what had seemed to be everything in me. I pulled myself from the floor and quickly applied toothpaste to my toothbrush as I began to clean my mouth of the foul taste and residue that chose to linger. I took the time to admire my pristine bathroom. The walls and cabinets were white with chrome finishes. There were a separate shower and garden tub along with a small chrome vanity in the corner which houses my hair and makeup supplies. Zach insisted on placing it there because he didn't want my makeup and curling irons to damage his white granite countertops. This bathroom was truly all him. 

 After cleansing and moisturizing my face, I wrapped myself in my silk robe that hung on the back door and made way downstairs into the kitchen. I called out for Zach but got no answer. I guess he went to work. When I entered the hallway between the living room and kitchen, I stopped dead in my tracks. There were strings of ribbon lazily dangling in the air. I took a deep breath and slowly walked into the kitchen. I clutched my chest, and out of nowhere tears sprang from eyes. I really wish they had a pill to help with pregnancy hormones. I've cried more in the past few months than I had in the past few years. I was never the emotional type. Dramatic, yes, but emotional, no. 

 I looked at the ceiling that was lined with baby blue balloons with two large confetti balloons in the middle

 I looked at the ceiling that was lined with baby blue balloons with two large confetti balloons in the middle. As I walked closer, Zach came into view. He reached up and popped both balloons while "It's A Boy" confetti rained down on my head. I looked at my husband smiling widely with the tears flowing from my eyes. "I knew it," I screamed. "Baby when did you do all this? Why did you do all this? I thought you wanted to wait." I fired off question after question. 

 " I woke around 5:30 to go on my run. While I was running, I thought about you. I knew you, well we, needed some joy right now, so the idea just came to me. I googled gender reveals, and this Pinterest app popped up with so many ideas, the shit was overwhelming. I went to party city told the lady what I was trying to do and boom this happened", he spoke gesturing around to his handiwork.