Chapter 40: Game Changer

"How people treat you is there Karma, how you react is yours

"How people treat you is there Karma, how you react is yours."

September 4, 2015 ( Two Months later)

I started down on the digital device in my hand with my eyes bulged and mouth agape

I started down on the digital device in my hand with my eyes bulged and mouth agape. Hot tears began to rim my eyes as my bottom lip began to quiver. My body tensed all over as I considered what all this meant. My right leg started to bounce of its own free will surrendering itself to the flow of nervousness that coursed through my body.

I sat at the small glass dining room table with my head now cradled between my palms. My tears began to move from a slow crawl to a running frenzy as they splashed haphazardly against the glass underneath me. I slowly wiped my hands down my face and tilted my head back towards the sky wondering how I had found myself in such a fucked up situation.

Ding dong! I nearly jumped out of my skin when the doorbell rang. I sprang from my seat and splashed water on my face. I grabbed a paper towel from the holder to the left of the sink to rinse the water from my face, and hopefully, the traces of tears and sadness that I'm sure were permanently etched into my smooth cocoa skin.

After discarding the paper towel in the trash bin, I made my way to the door. I doubled back remembering the catalyst of my world crashing, was laying on the dining room table. I gripped it in my small hands and stared down at it. The incessant ringing of my doorbell stopped me from having another breakdown. I shoved the device into my pocket as I made my way to the door.

"Hey," Zach greeted as he walked in with Zakiyah cradled in his arms. I nodded and gave him a soft hey back. My voice slightly cracked and I hoped he didn't notice. When my eyes finally lifted from Zykese who was showing me his progress report, Zach stood with a raised eyebrow. I guess he did notice.

"Let me go put her down. I gave her some soup and some medicine, and she's been out ever since," Zach stated as he walked through the house to Zakiya's room. I watched as he silently removed her sandals and placed her bonnet on her hair. He tucked her in and kissed her forehead lightly. Kiya stirred for a minute and then turned over on her stomach and drifted back to sleep. Once Zach saw that she was comfortable and resting he turned to leave the room.