Chapter 4: Hopeful

Elise
Desmond Tutu once said, "Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness." I clung to that hope over these last four weeks. I pushed aside my fears and resignations and just allowed myself to enjoy my pregnancy and my husband. The pain had been minimal but the morning, afternoon, and night sickness was driving me crazy. Zach was praying that our baby wasn't a picky eater like me. I didn't think that I was picky, I just liked what I like.

🎶"Turn the bed upside down, flip me round, gravity's left the building. I'll be on top; really I'll be on the bottom 'Cause we gon' be having sex on the ceiling"🎶

I leaned over to grab my ringing phone off of the cherry wood end table next to the recliner. A smile graced my face as my husband's handsome face popped on my screen. " Hey pooh!", I cooed.

" Hey, baby! You ready? I'm about five minutes away", he replied. I knew that meant he was 15 minutes away. He always gave me a shorter time frame so that I could rush and be ready when he arrived.

" I'm ready! I'm sitting on the couch flipping through the channels waiting on you" I expressed emphatically.

"Oh yeah? You got on shoes? Got your purse? Got your juice and snacks" he questioned.

I scoffed at his accusatory questioning, " What am I five now Mr. Tate?" I replied with much attitude.

" No, I know my wife! Now come on, I'm outside!". I hung up the phone without responding and quickly shuffled up the stairs to grab my shoes and purse. I made my way back down the stairs to stop by the pantry for my favorite Nekot peanut butter cookies and grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge. When I walked outside and turned to lock the door, I saw Zach's car pulling in the driveway.

" Ugh, I can't stand his ass," I mumbled. I pouted as I walked towards the car, where Zach was already standing beside the open passenger door waiting for me. I scrunched up my face looking at him, while he held a knowing smirk.

 I scrunched up my face looking at him, while he held a knowing smirk

"I told you five minutes"... he winked as he spoke.

"Mhm," I responded. We rode in a comfortable silence listening to the Cadillactica album by Big K.R.I.T. Although Zach came from a bourgeois ass family, he had this hood side to him that was so mesmerizing. This man would go from talking about environmental elements of Capital improvement to rapping Tupac. Just my type of man. I leaned my head back on the headrest while Zach stroked my thighs soothingly with his thumbs.