Chapter 14: Sunny Skies and Thighs

August 29, 2014

August 29, 2014

This month had really flown by. Being back at work was so healing for me. I chose to pour my love out that was intended for my son into my students. We had only been in school for a couple of weeks, but I already had students that stopped by regularly. I was just as grateful for them as they were for me.

Zach and I decided to take the 5-hour drive down to Orange Beach. It's a long stretch, but after you pass through Birmingham and Montgomery, it's a really relaxing ride. I always loved riding through the country. The air seems cleaner, and I just feel at peace. We cruised down 65 south as we jammed to music playing from my phone.

I'm gonna swing from the chandelier, from the chandelier

I'm gonna live like tomorrow doesn't exist

Like it doesn't exist

I'm gonna fly like a bird through the night, feel my tears as they dry

I'm gonna swing from the chandelier, from the chandelier

Zach cut his eyes at me from the driver seat. "The fuck is this you singing Elise," he spoke looking from me to the road.

" It's Sia baby! You don't like it?" I said still rocking and bobbing my head to the music.

"Nah, not at all! Why is she hollering?" he threw back while scrunching up his face.

" She's not yelling she's singing. You really need to expand your musical horizons," I preached while changing the song. We continued to ride while jamming to random music and making fun of each other's musical taste. Four and half hours later we were pulling up to Turquoise Place.

 Four and half hours later we were pulling up to Turquoise Place

" Baby, we got here too fast. I told you, you were driving too fast," I fussed with my hand on my hip.

" Did you die though?" He questioned pulling his blacked out Raybans over his eyes. The sun was shining brightly. August in Alabama is probably one of the hottest months of the year. You would think that with Fall almost a month way it would make a difference, but it doesn't. Alabama has two seasons, Summer and Fall. Our winters weren't really winters.