Chapter 12: Back To You

July 4, 2014

July 4, 2014

Elise had been home for two days. I'm not sure what happened at Jayme's house, but she came back seemingly refreshed. When he dropped her off, I was pulling out the garage to head to the Dr's office. She placed her bag in the trunk and rode along with me.

When she got in, I didn't know what to say to her. I wanted to apologize to her, but I knew now wasn't the best time, so I said nothing. I didn't turn the radio on because usually, she does that. As we were riding, she grabbed my right rand which was draped lazily on the gear shift. She soothingly stroked the back of my hand with her thumb while she hummed what sounded like Amazing Grace.

When we pulled up to the Dr's office, I put the car in park and turned it off using my left hand not wanting to break contact. For the first time since she got in the car, she looked over at me.

" I forgive you, and I forgive myself too," she said.

"What are you-" she cut me off.

" I forgive you for not being there the way I needed you to be, and I forgive myself for not giving you the space to grieve in your way, and I hope that you can forgive me too and we can move forward."

I just looked at my wife in awe. This what I meant when I said you could tell God resided in my wife. She was so considerate and loving. It was almost like love exuded from her pores. She is love, my love. I leaned over the console and placed a gentle closed mouth kiss on her lips, and I just rested my forehead against hers, allowing her love to encompass me.

Dr. Anneise explained to us that Elise would need to have the tumor removed before she got pregnant again. She suggested birth control until we took care of it. Elise scheduled her procedure for Christmas break so she wouldn't have to miss work. I didn't think we should wait that long, but I understood her need to get back to normalcy in a sense.

That evening and the day after I took off work and just spent time with my wife. We cooked together, watched movies, went swimming, and just relaxed. We even played 2k together, which she failed miserably at doing, so she whooped my ass in Tunk to make up for it. That girl loved her card games.

Today we were headed to my father's house for his 4th of July cookout, then going down to the river to watch the fireworks. I asked Jhene about getting the kids, but she said she had already made plans since she hadn't heard from me. I guess you can tell I was neglecting more than my wife.

" Babe you ready, I just put the cakes in your car. They're on the floor behind the seats so don't go pushing it all the way back," she said while disappearing up the stairs.

I just laughed to myself. She was slowly getting back to her old self, asking me was I ready when she wasn't. I just took a seat on the couch and waited because I knew she would be a minute.

Twenty minutes later we were out the door and headed to my dad's house. My dad stayed in Moundville, which was about 45 minutes outside of Tuscaloosa. It was in the country. Elise loved going out here. She said it reminded her of home. The ride was filled with random blues songs. Elise was currently singing along to "Friday" by Sir Charles Jones. The irony being it was Friday.

Step in the club,

Looking candy and clean

I see a woman just for me

I'm gonna say baby give me the honor

Would you please have this dance with me

Cause it's Friday and feeling good

And I'm gonna to party to the lights come on

And I'm gonna to do the electric slide

To Johnny Taylor "Slide On"

It's Friday, and I'm gonna party and get my groove on

It's Friday, and I'm gonna party till the break of dawn

She was having a party all by herself in the passenger seat. This was the El I remembered. The only things she needed for a party was herself and some good music, and she was lit. It's just seeing her sing the blues, knowing how hard she raps T.I. or Pastor Troy, was awkward and hilarious at the same time. She was a real southern girl, and I loved it.

We made it to my dad's house and got El's cakes out the car. My dad made his way over to us with his "Kiss the cook" apron on, and a towel was thrown across his shoulder.

"What's up old man?" I spoke patting my father on the back, " I see you and your hairline still ain't worked shit out, might as well go ahead and make it official" I teased laughing! My dad was desperately holding onto his hairline when he and I both knew it was time to let go.

" Make me fuck you up boy; you ain't too old to get your ass whooped" my dad fussed while popping me on the leg with the towel in his hands.

" Its ok Papa Tate," Elise said pecking him on the cheek, " he ain't far behind you with the random grays popping up" she snickered. " By the way, where do you want me to hide this Caramel cake, I made it just for you."

My mouth hung open. She knew that was my favorite, but she's going to give the old man the whole cake. " Pops, I know you are going to let me get a piece," I said looking at him expectantly.

"You know what," he paused, " I'm going to be the mature person in this situation. Since I'm letting go of my hairline, I'm going to let go thoughts of sharing my cake with you too! Thank you daughter, I'll take that". I sucked my teeth.

He took the cake from El's hand and kissed her on the cheek as he scurried into the house. " Old ass is always playing," I mumbled underneath my breath.

" Bae, you had to see that coming!" El said while clutching her side laughing. I sucked my teeth and waved her off as I began making my way to the house.

" Oh so you mad, let me get your Cape out the trunk so you can be super mad," she said still laughing. Her silly ass had tears in her eyes. I hurriedly walked ahead of her. I didn't have time to play with her or my dad. Elise knows that Caramel Cake is my favorite.

" Wait, baby, I'm sorry!" she said still laughing. I just kept walking.

" I guess I'll bring the one I made for you over her to Papa since you wanna leave me," she said stopping putting her hands on her hips. I immediately stopped in my tracks.

"Baby stop playing and come on. You knew I wasn't going to leave my favorite lady!" I cooed. Elise made the best most unhealthy Caramel cake ever. It was deathly sweet, but I couldn't get enough of it. Like I couldn't get enough of her.

The rest of the evening was spent talking with family and eating good food. Even my mama was on her best behavior. She claimed she listened to T.D. Jakes on the way here so the devil couldn't tempt her. I just laughed at her foolishness. Elise's mom and sister Gianna even popped up later on in the evening. Elise and Gianna handed out ass whoopings in Spades. I didn't do much, I just sat back, drunk a few beers, and took it all in.

Not even a week ago did I imagine myself being here. If I'm honest with myself, when I came back I expected Elise to divorce my ass, and her leaving with Jayme was the nail in the coffin. But it's funny how life works you know. The things that are put in our path to break us eventually make us stronger.