Chapter 20: Sharing is Caring

November 29, 2014

November 29, 2014

1:20 p.m.

I walked into the house dressed in yesterday's clothes. On my way home, I had Destiny stop by Edgar's to pick up the cake I ordered and then went to party city to pick up my package. I had to get everything I needed while I was out because I knew that once I finally made it home, no one was going to let me out of their sight.

I crept quietly to the kitchen where I noticed my sister Gianna at the microwave warming what I am assuming are leftovers. " Hey Gi GI," I spoke quietly as I placed the Party City bag on the counter and walked over to the refrigerator to put my cake in there. Gianna cut her eyes at me but didn't speak back. I expected that. I was gone for a little under twenty fours without contacting her so I knew she was mad.

" I'm sorry GiGi," I said walking up on her. " I never meant to get you involved in my drama," I continued while laying my head on her shoulder. She shrugged me off.

"I don't care about putting Jhene in her place, it's the fact that it was Zach's place to do that, not yours or mines. I'm mad that you left me. You could have at least told me you were at Destiny's so I could have hidden over there with you. Your step-kids annoying as hell," she said sucking her teeth while taking her plate out the microwave and sitting at the island.

"We'll get to Zach at a later time but my babies are not annoying. What did they do to you?" I said around a giggle. I know how Zakiya and Zykese could be. They, very much like their dad, were creatures of habit.

" Girl, every time somebody tried to do something for them, they hollered about how we were doing it wrong because you do it a certain way. I gave up and told their assess to either do it themselves or wait until you get home," she said while smacking on a turkey leg.

" Don't do my babies like that. They just like things a certain way," I said smiling lightly at the thought of them. Gianna put her fork down and wiped her mouth with her napkin before turning on the stool to look at me.

" You know they stayed up all night waiting for you. Zakiya fell asleep in bed with me but she kept popping up asking were you home yet. Zykese slept with Zach, so I don't know how his night went," Gianna finished turning back to her plate.

I sighed deeply and a lone tear fell from my eyes. I'm so fucking tired of crying. When I left I didn't think about how anyone would feel, especially not the children, I just knew I needed to get out of there. But to hear that my babies waited up for me broke my heart. I never wanted to be the source of their disappointment.

The patio door opening drew me out of my thoughts." Mommy," Zakiya screamed running towards me. My heart melted hearing her say that.

She used to call me Mommy all the time until she told me Jhene told her that I'm not her Mama and she was hurt and confused about why I couldn't be her mama too. She told me that her dad told her she was so special that God gave her two mama's so she didn't understand why she couldn't be special anymore. The older she gets I think she realizes what's going on. When she's here she calls me mommy, if Jhene is around she calls me Ms. Elise.

I reach down scooping her into my arms. " Hey my baby, I missed you so much," I said peppering her face with kisses.

" No you didn't, you left me," she pouted and my heart broke. I never wanted her to feel like I left her or abandoned her.

" I'm sorry baby. Auntie Destiny needed my help so I went to help her," I said telling a half-truth.

" All night," she said as her doe eyes bugged out of her head in shock.

"Um Hm," I responded by nodding my head.

"Are you sure you didn't leave because my mommy was being bad," she said tilting her head to the side and placing her hands on both sides of my face. Now it was time for my eyes to bulge. Did she hear everything? How much did she know?

" Why did you say you mommy was being bad, dooda," I asked while sitting her on the counter. Her weight coupled with the weight of this situation was too heavy to hold simultaneously.

" I was coming downstairs to get juice when I heard mommy call you the bad word that starts with a b and then you called her one back. Yall just kept yelling so I went back upstairs with Kese because I was scared. Why were you and mama yelling and saying bad words," she asked innocently. But the facts were, there was nothing innocent about my interactions with Jhene. How was I supposed to explain to a six year that her mother was a bitter bitch who just couldn't let go?

I closed my eyes thinking on ways to relay this message. " You know how sometimes, you get mad because Kese won't let you play with his toys and you yell at him", she nodded in understanding, " Well your Mommy was mad because I wouldn't let her play with my toy so we had a disagreement. But I'm sorry I scared you, and promise not to do it again".

Zakiya hugged my neck tightly, and my heart that was once racing began to ease.

" Maybe you and Mama need to learn to share like you tell me and Kese to do."

"Ooop," Gianna said placing her plate in the sink and making her way out the kitchen.

" Do me a favor Zakiya, go tell your daddy what you just told me. I think he needs to learn a lesson too." I said helping her down from the island onto her feet.

" Okay Mommy," and she took off but turned right back around, " you're not going to leave again are you?" Zakiyah said.

Three updates in one night! Okayyyy! I hope yall enjoyed! Make sure you leave some feedback. I think I'm going to start dedicating some chapters to those of you that continually give me feedback. I appreciate yall so much!

Until next time!
😘Kay