Chapter 18: The Lies We Tell; The Secrets We Keep

Same Day

Same Day

I wandered with no destination in mind. I didn't have my phone or keys I just knew I needed to get away before I was featured on the nightly news.

Mostly I regret my sister getting involved but that was Gianna. She wasn't a confrontational person, but she was always down to throw hands when necessary. While I'm grateful Jhene got her ass whooped, I wish I was the one to give it to her.

Zach's half-ass involvement didn't make it any better. He should have let her ass have it, hell it was his son that we lost too. However, I'm not surprised. This is how things always worked, and I have finally reached my tipping point. At this juncture, it's going to be her or me because I can't continue like this.

As I was walking, I noticed a gas station with the lights on. Hopefully, the clerk will be gracious enough to allow me to use the phone. I walked towards the store when I noticed a familiar car parked at the pump. I waited to see the person driving before I made a move.

A slim leg clad in red was placed out the car. When I saw the curls, I knew that was my best friend. "Destiny," I called out. The lady turned around, and it was indeed my best friend. Destiny immediately ran over to me and hugged me.

"Hey boo! Look at you all cute and us matching and shit

"Hey boo! Look at you all cute and us matching and shit. That's real best friend goals! Where's Zach?" Destiny cooed releasing me from her deathly embrace. I hadn't seen Destiny in a while, which was unusual, but I had been withdrawn from everything.

"Why are you not with your family?" I asked avoiding her question about Zach.

"Girl I had to work yesterday, and I have to work tomorrow, so I ain't have time to be driving back and forth."

"You should have called. You know you're always welcome at my house".

"I know, I know. I've just had a lot going," she said looking down at her feet. I knew then something wasn't right. "Where's Zach, I know his big head ass is around here somewhere, or did you come with Jayme's fine ass" she stated looking around for one of our cars. I bit my lip thinking about how I was going to explain to my best friend that I walked roughly three miles to this store while everyone else was at home.