Chapter 49: Rise Up

"When the silence isn't quietAnd it feels like it's getting hard to breatheAnd I know you feel like dyingBut I promise we'll take the world to its feetAnd move mountainsWe'll take it to its feet

And it feels like it's getting hard to breathe
And I know you feel like dying
But I promise we'll take the world to its feet
And move mountains
We'll take it to its feet."

The Tate clan sat impatiently in the cold waiting room. Zach, who rode in the ambulance with Elise, had been escorted to the waiting area with his family. He placed back and forth across the enclosed space with his arms raised and hands clenched tightly behind his head. Alana took the kids home with her but called Mama Vivian and Gianna almost every ten minutes looking for an update. Everyone was desperately searching for a valid reason as to why would this happen today of all days.

Elise had been okay all day. She spent the day relaxing with her best friend and sister and topped her night off with a beautiful birthday dinner that rivaled every birthday celebration she had ever had. It was a beautiful night ruined by her unanticipated fainting. When the paramedics arrived, Elise was slowly coming to, but her vital signs were stagnant, and she was still a bit stunned, so the paramedics thought it best to bring her in. Elise didn't utter a word on her way over; she just kept a firm grip on Zach's hand letting him know that she was still there.

"Nurse, do you have an update on Elise Tate," Zach queried to the intake nurse that sat at her desk, swirling around in her swivel chair.

"Sir," the nurse responded while pooping her gum, " just like I told you the last five times you've asked, as soon as I find something out, I'll let you know," and with her final words, she twirled around in her chair.

"Nurse... Nurse... I need a doctor! My baby is burning up," a female voice sounded and echoed off the walls. Zach's head whipped around at the sound of Jhene's voice. He was alarmed at the panic-stricken look on her and Cam's face.

"Jh-Jhene, what's going on," Zach managed to get out.

"Lizzie was cranky and moving slowly this morning. Then I noticed she had a fever, so I gave her some Tylenol, but it only made her fever worse. By the time Cam got here to visit her, her breathing was shallow. I just-, I don't know what I did wrong," Jhene sobbed while cradling her baby girl close to her chest.

"Nurse, where the fuck is the damn doctor," Jhene growled through clench teeth making the ginger-haired woman spring from her chair and push a button on the back wall, causing the doors to the back of the emergency room open.

"Follow me," the young nurse almost whispered, as she gestured for Jhene to follow her. Jhene's feet immediately began to move as Cam followed closely behind never making eye contact with Zach.

Zach wiped his face with the palms of his hands and made his way to the vacant seat beside his mother. She gently rubbed his back.

"Everything's going to be okay son," Mama Vivian cooed, " El is a fighter, and God is a great commander in chief, all will be well."

Zach took in his mother's words but wouldn't be persuaded entirely until he was able to lay eyes and hands on his wife.

"Was that Jhene and Cam," Destiny queried lifting her head from Jayme's chest. Her big doe eyes were red-rimmed and her light skin blotched from her ever-flowing tears.