Chapter 45: Someone Please Call 9-1-1

"Now let me pray to keep you from

The perils that will surely come

See life for you my prince has just begun " 

Omniscient

  "Mmmmm...," Jhene groaned rolling over to onto her side. She rubbed her belly soothingly while taking deep controlled breaths. She had been experiencing Braxton Hicks for the last couple of days. Her doctor assured her that this was normal, considering how far along in her pregnancy she was.

"Ahh...!" a startling scream cut through the air as Jhene looked down at her now soiled sheets and shorts. Her water had broke. She hastily scrambled for her phone. She dialed her mom and sister only to get their voicemails in response. She took a few more deep breaths to keep herself from panicking. It was twelve in the afternoon, so she knew that they both were at work.

In desperation, she called on her former best friend. Once the phone picked up on the fourth ring, Jhene was groaning from yet another passing contraction. "Xo, I need you! I'm in labor, and it's way too early for her to come," Jhene yelped while cradling her stomach with the palm of her free hand.

" The fuck you call me for. Call your baby daddy or your new butt buddy, Elise. Hell call 911 because I ain't coming to save your trifling ass," Xorielle screamed and then hung up in her face. Jhene chucked her phone across the room, where it bounced off the wall and hit the cream carpeted floor.

She pushed herself from the bed, willing her feet to guide her to the bathroom to shower. On her way there, she picked up her phone with the now shattered screen and took it into the bathroom with her. Once in the confines of the tile-walled room, she turned on the shower adjusting the temperature. As the water began to heat, she called Cam, only to be met by his voicemail, not once, not twice, but five times.

She plopped herself on the toilet as the steam from the shower began to seep beyond the curtain and fill the room. She pondered on who to call. She could call for an ambulance, but the truth was, she was scared shitless and didn't want to be alone. She decided to call the one person who had been the most supportive of her. She dialed the number and nibbled on her nails as it rung. Once the voicemail picked up, she feverishly tapped at the end call button, nearly cutting her finger on the cracked glass. It was her birthday, so she knew less trivial things probably consumed her.

Jhene cradled her head in the palms of her hands as she wept. She wept because for once she was utterly alone and afraid. No More Drama by Mary J. Blige startled her and halted her weeping briefly. She wiped hastily at her tears as if the person on the other end could see.

Once she answered the phone, there was the sound of chatter and shuffling followed by the sound of the wind whipping at the speakers.

"Hello," Elise's soulful but light voice finally was heard. "Jhene are you there? Are the children okay," Elise pushed.