Chapter 39: New Adventures

July 6, 2015

July 6, 2015

We woke up around four am to drive to Birmingham to catch our 6:30 flight

We woke up around four am to drive to Birmingham to catch our 6:30 flight. Jayme and Destiny spent the night at our house last night to avoid any delays. Elise and Destiny decided that we should plan the vacation, so we decided to take them to Cozumel. We would be there from Monday through Friday because I had to be back to get the kids on Saturday.

They spent the Fourth of July with us, but we allowed them to go with Jhene to the Riverwalk that night to see the fireworks. Despite her semi-spat with Elise about the scholarship, Jhene stuck to the schedule, and I extended her grace for not making things difficult.

We arrived at security check with an hour to spare. I cupped Elise's hand in mine as we stood in line waiting our turn. She had on a ribbed tank with distressed black jeans and footie socks, with her Jordan slides. She had a denim jacket tied loosely around her waist, and large cat-eyed sunglasses framed her face. She leaned into me as we waited in line, El was not a morning person.

After making it through security check and locating our boarding terminal, we waited for about thirty minutes before we were called to board. Elise and I sat two rows up from Jayme and Destiny. This was a five-hour flight with a layover in Atlanta. I placed my headphones on and relaxed back into my seat. Elise waited until I was comfortable to rest her head on my shoulder. I knew she would be asleep before we even took off. She had been running crazy with kids all weekend, so I knew she was tired.

After five long, joint stiffening hours we arrived in Cozumel. We caught the private Amstar shuttle to Secrets Aura resort. It was an inclusive adults only resort. I had spent the week with my kids and needed some unfiltered adult time, so the atmosphere was welcomed. We pulled up to the resort where the concierge was waiting to unload the car. We checked in with ease and headed to our separate suites. We both had Junior Suites with a swim up pool. Our room had its' own private terrace with direct swim-out access.

 Our room had its' own private terrace with direct swim-out access