Dogs are Really a Man's Best Friend (+ update/goodbye)

Geno's a dog groomer and Death's your local chill but soft guy who doesn't know what he's doing

and yes i choose the most random job position out there thank me later

also i dont know how dog groomers do their thing i just went with whatever works for the fic

~Start~

Death's really cheap.

He likes spending money (its fun, sue him), but he would rather avoid it if possible. That includes spoiling his dog- a black Portuguese water dog, Furry- who is probably the purest thing on planet earth, but Death doesn't treat her as much as he should. Sure, she's easy to please and seems happy with whatever he has to offer, but Death feels like trash for not treating her like the queen she is. Because he's stingy.

It should've been obvious that if you were going to save money, buying a dog wasn't an option. But as a lonely man who has nothing to lose, he went to the pound and got his heart stolen by bright eyes and a wagging, furry tail. Death's never been good with names, so he usually goes with the first thing on the top of his head and rolls with it. It's kind of embarrassing now when he's outside and calling for Furry to stop running around like a headless chicken when she's too excited, but his fate had already been sealed. 

Now, Portuguese water dogs require a lot of grooming. Which, he should've considered before adopting one since he's apparently incapable of doing it himself, but for the first few months, it was doable. He knew a place that didn't empty out his wallet like some places did and had a 5-star rating, so while it hurts his soul to be spending so much money, the well-being of his precious girl is worth it.

But ever since he moved out of the city and to another state, it was like starting back from scratch. He's a friendly guy and people love him (or rather his dog) and paying bills was never an issue. The issue was finding a groomer that did their job correctly, was affordable, and would treat Furry right. It was a surprise to Death when he realized Furry didn't like the new faces that were doing her fur since she usually likes everyone, but he figured it had to do with the fact that her previous groomer was like an aunt.

Death found that he couldn't really blame her, though. He didn't like them either, and he's not a dog that probably knows how to cure world hunger of sheer willpower alone, like Furry.

So when Toriel recommended him a place that was basically on the other side of town, Death thought why not and spent an extra 20 minutes driving because he trusted her judgment that much. As soon as he and Furry stepped inside, they were greeted with a cheery "Welcome!" and a warm atmosphere that basically screamed dogs galore.    

Furry was definitely excited. When Death met up with her new groomer, Furry was more than happy to knock him over just to get to the other boy and shower him with more love than he gets on the daily.

Death would've been hurt, but one look at the other and he had to fight back the urge to do the same. Furry's new, official groomer was a skeleton about the same age as him, but he sort of looked like he hadn't slept for a year. He wore a red scarf and a white hoodie, a contrast to Death's usual dark clothing but he looked angsty as ever, even with glasses. One of his eyes appeared to be injured but it didn't seem to bother the skeleton much, especially when his eyes lit up at the sight of a friendly dog warming up to him immediately.

Death looked at their name tag, a little too eager to learn their name.

Geno.