Please Don't Go

(oh god)

Geno's P.O.V 

Reaper was annoying, yes, but Geno had grown to like him. At the Save Screen, nothing was new and at times it could get lonely. Reaper had kept Geno company, despite Geno's hurtful words. Reaper had always forgiven him, even thought Geno felt like he didn't deserve it.

"Reaper, I don't see the point." Geno said. "I'm suppose to die, but you won't reap me. What makes me so special that you won't reap me, but you would reap everyone else?"

Reaper gave a small hum. "Most mortals would be afraid of me. But you aren't. Your not afraid to speak out your thoughts, even when you know I can kill you easily."

Geno thought about this. It was true. Geno spoke his thoughts out loud, even if they were hurtful. Most mortal wouldn't dare to say them in front of a god. Especially the god of death.

As the months flew by, Geno noticed that Reaper was talking less snarky then usual. He was surprised that their friendship grew so quickly. Geno didn't even know that was possible. 

"I love you." Reaper murmured quietly.

Geno winced. He can't fall in love, he just can't! He already lost everything, and if he accepted Reaper's love, loosing Reaper would kill him. Geno shook his head. "What about Toriel? Don't you love her?"

Reaper shrugged, and stared at the ground with a blank expression. "Toriel is a nice girl and all, but shes life and I'm death. Life and death don't go well together. Besides, I don't have those feelings for her."

"I'm sorry, but..." Geno gulped. He didn't know why, but it hurt so much to say this. His heart ached and his mind was screaming. "I can't."

Reaper nodded in understanding. He tired to hide it, but he was hurt and Geno felt terrible but he kept his mouth shut.

One day, Geno noticed a small crack at the back of Reaper's skull. When he asked about it, Reaper's only reply was, "Your internally bleeding and your concern over a small crack?"

Geno sighed and decided to let the situation go. It was clearly a subject Reaper didn't want to talk about, and Geno didn't pry because he felt the same way about his eye.

So Geno watched as the crack slowly grew bigger with each passing day. Sometimes it was barely noticeable. Sometimes Geno could tell. And there were times when Reaper didn't show up at all.

Geno wanted to do something to help, but he didn't know what to do. He did his best to make Reaper happy, just like the way he made him happy. He even gave him a few hugs time to time.

Geno knew he was falling for the god of death, and it terrified him. Even though he already denied Reaper's love for him, he couldn't help it. But to prevent any future pain, Geno said nothing and kept his emotions in check so he doesn't accidentally blurt out his feeling. The last thing he needed was to feelings to grow stronger.

"I love you." Reaper keeps saying.

Geno sighed sadly. He wanted so badly to give in, but for he refused to let his emotions get the best of him. "Reaper, you already know my answer."

Reaper fell silent. "...I know."

This became a cycle for the next few weeks. Reaper says, "I love you," Geno quickly denies, and they go on with their lives as if everything was okay. They were both in pain, emotionally and physically, but they didn't say anything about it.

When Geno felt as if his emotions would burst, he finally made up his mind. He would tell Reaper how he felt. Maybe then his emotions would stop torturing him.

Geno woke up one day, and found Reaper's scythe. It wasn't like Reaper to leave his things at Geno's place, especially his scythe. Last time he checked, reapers need their scythes to reap dying souls.

Chuckling quietly to himself, Geno waited for Reaper to come get his scythe back. He would surely notice that it was missing.

But nobody came.

Geno held the scythe. Attached to the scythe, was a small note. The writing was shaky, as if who ever wrote this was under pressure. Geno read the note carefully.

The note fell out of his hands as Geno teleported to Reapertale. His heart pounded as he ran and ran. He had to find Toriel. Reaper must be playing a sick prank on him, right?

"Dear Geno,

You may of noticed the cracks in the back of my skull. I am thankful you didn't ask about them, but I guess this is a good time to tell you.

There two important rules a god must follow: Always do your job and don't fall for a mortal. I have broken these rules by spending time with you, and for letting myself fall for you. I had skipped my job from time to time to hear your amazing laugh and see your beautiful smile.

But because I have broken these rules, I had received a crack in my skull. The cracks will grow bigger and bigger, until my skull shatters. The only way to get rid of these cracks was to let you go, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Even though I am the god of death, I can't escape death this time.

This is not a goodbye, this is a thank you. Thank you for coming into my life and giving me joy. Even though you may not feel the same way, I still love you and nothing will change that. Thank you for putting up with me. Thank you for the memories I will cherish forever, even in death.

Thank you.

I love you.

Love, Reaper."

When Geno finally found Toriel, she was covering her face with her hands and weeping quietly. When she looked up, her eyes were slightly red from crying.

Reaper's scythe fell from Geno's hands. No words were needed, for Geno knew this wasn't a prank. Tears formed at the edge of Geno's eyes.

A sob escaped from Geno as he crumbled to his knees and covered his face with his hands. He felt somebody wrap their arms around him.

"I'm sorry..." Toriel said quietly, tears falling from her eyes. "I loved him to."

"N-No... P-Please no..." Geno sobbed. "H-He can't be d-dead... I-I never had the chance to..."

Toriel hushed him gently. Geno stayed in Toriel's warm embrace for god only knows how long, as his emotions washed over him. 

"...please don't go..."

(i can't write emotional bullcrap i just cant)