𝟠. 𝕋𝕨𝕠 𝕠𝕗 𝕌𝕤

A sound of a sponsor tinkered downwards towards the three remaining tributes of the career pack. It fell nearby and Clove went to retrieve it.

It's been a few hours since the explosion incident and (Y/N)'s leg wasn't getting any better. They all moved locations by going back into the forest and tried to stay seldom as best as they could. Although there was only 1 tribute that would remain left, the three Career tributes were very close friends. So even in this close game, the three still stuck together.

Clove got the sponsor and headed back towards Cato and (Y/N). She opened the sponsor gift to reveal what would be a needle. The sponsor note read, 'Numbness -J'

"It's from Johanna, I think it's a freezing needle." The injured girl gasped. Clove carefully lined up the needle where the injury was and injected the vaccine. (Y/N) winced but sighed in relief a few seconds later.

"It feels so much better."

"I don't think that will heal the actual cut. That would need some sort of Capitol medicine." Clove responded. She was right. High tech medicine made in the Capitol could do almost anything.

Luckily, (Y/N) able to stand thanks to the vaccine. The three of them went hunting for food and ate a small meal. They still had no sign of Marvel, yet two canons went off.

A bit after their early supper, an announcement was made.

"Attention tributes, attention. There has been a slight...rule change. From now on, two victors may be crowned. This will be the only announcement." Claudius Templesmith's voice boomed throughout the arena.

(Y/N)'s P.O.V.

Two. The Capitol never said from one district, they just said two victors. Does this mean, I could potentially go home with Cato?!

Wait, what am I thinking. There's no way that'll happen, of course he'll choose Clove. It would make sense, she's from his district after all. But I can't help but feel a sense of comfort and longing whenever I'm with him. The way he protected me, the fact that he cared about me. Nobody's really shown that type of care for me, other than my family. I guess it's only natural for me to have feelings for him then.

But, what about Evan. I feel a little bad for not caring about him, but I have no idea where he is or if he's even alive.

Nighttime settled in, and we got to see the tributes that died today.

The first one was Marvel. My eyes widened. Marvel was a cool guy, being able to have a good sense of humour at times, and he was smarter than his district partner.

The next was the boy from 3. I noticed Cato's fists clenched when he saw him, so I squeezed his shoulder in reassurance. He looked at me and relaxed a bit more. We turned back to the screen just in time to see Evan's face in the sky.

My eyes widened yet again. I didn't feel remorse for him, but he was from home. What killed him off? Thresh? Luna? Someone else? Wait, there's one more person being shown.

The girl from 11, Rue. She was such a fragile girl, only 12. That's probably who Luna allied with. Maybe that's how Marvel died. He killed Rue and Luna killed Marvel.

I pouted a little. "Evan didn't complete the bet for me." Clove laughed at your humour, and Cato smirked in response. "It was probably gonna be like 'stuff his face with something he doesn't like'" You shrugged, while Clove shook her head. "No no, it should've been that he puts some rocks in his pants. Like heavy rocks. Then he'll fall all the time." You three ended up laughing even harder, imagining Evan constantly falling down a hill is just too funny.

Clove then yawned. "Well if you don't mind, I'll be getting some shut eye." She got up and patted me on the back. "Get some rest (N/N), Cato." I almost squealed, somebody gave me a nickname. I nodded happily.

"You too." She dipped in her sleeping bag and almost immediately dosed off.

I turned back to Cato.

3rd P.O.V.

"So I guess it'll be you and Clove, huh?" (Y/N) spoke to Cato. He turned to her in surprise.

"Why do you say that?"

She smiled sadly. "Because you and her are District partners. And you two are probably closer to each other. So when the time comes, I'll die so you two can go home."

Cato's eyes widened. Sure, Clove was from home, but he didn't feel a deep connection to Clove other than friendship. With (Y/N), it was a lot different.

He didn't know why his heart melted when she smiled or laughed, or why he felt the urge to torture the boy from 3 who dared to hurt her. It definitely wasn't normal. And to now hear that she was willing to sacrifice herself just so he can go home with Clove?

"No, (Y/N). I can't let you."

"Why not?"

A moment of silence struck them. Cato bit his lip, not knowing what to say next. "Because I-"

"Cato, it's ok. Let's talk about it tomorrow. Goodnight." The girl smiled and went into her own sleeping bag, soon drifting off to sleep.

Cato sighed to himself before entering his own sleeping bag. He was just about to tell (Y/N) how much she meant to him. Now his heart was pounding rapidly. He stared at the fake night sky for a small bit of time, before rolling to his side to try and sleep as well.

Meanwhile, Clove overheard the conversation. As much as she wanted to go home, a part of her didn't want to go home and have to deal with the fact of losing her friend.

Normally, she's selfish and wouldn't think about anyone but herself, but for once, her mind wanted (Y/N) to go home. After all, Clove saw the reaping and saw (Y/N)'s sisters. And she was aware of how Cato was around the girl from 7.

Although she was grateful that her best friend would volunteer to sacrifice herself, she didn't want (Y/N) to die.

'If I die first, then you and Cato are going home. You two better.'