𝟡. 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔽𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕥

Wattpad deleted this chapter so I'm just resubmitting it

꧁ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ꧂

(Y/N)'s P.O.V.

The three of us all seemed to wake up extra early. Oh I know why, it was because of another announcement. But I thought they were only gonna make one announcement?

"Attention tributes, attention. Knowing it is sunrise, there will be a feast at the cornucopia. Now, this is no ordinary feast, oh no. Each of you need something. Desperately. And we plan to be, generous hosts to deliver them to you."

Knowing them, it's meant to be another bloodbath. Clove immediately volunteered to go, as the sun had just started to rise. "I'm going."

I shook my head and stood up. "No you can't,"

She glared at me before saying it again. "I'm going. You two will stay here and keep watch."

"...why Clove?" My voice weakened. Clove walked over and hugged me tightly.

"I don't want to go back home. And Cato needs you. You two deserve to be together. I would rather die so my friends could live." She whispered quietly enough so only I could hear. My eyes widened as I hugged her just as tightly, begging her not to go.

Cato... needs me? She planned on sacrificing herself for us to win together?! I felt a pant of guilt in my heart. I didn't want her to leave. But Cato nodded sadly to Clove.

"If that's what you want, then I can't stop you." She nodded and ran off, prepped for the trip she was going to make: claim a District 2 and 7 bag and get back here.

I sighed, staring at my axe. I didn't want her to go and possibly die. Not because she was my ally, but because she was my friend. Almost like a sister to me. And the behaviour wasn't something I expected from her. I thought she would expect me to go or manipulate Cato into taking her side. But she didn't. Was I a friend in her eyes too?

"I hope she's ok..." I murmur to Cato. He looked over to me.

"She will. She's a fighter, she won't give up." He responded, letting me sit beside him.

A few minutes of silence later, I collected my things and stood up. "We should get going, I'm worried about her." Cato nodded and collected his own supplies as well, and we trekked off to the cornucopia.

After ten minutes of walking, I heard someone screaming. It was Clove.

"CATO!! (Y/N)!!"

"CLOVE!" Both of us cried, immediately sprinting to where the voice came from. We found the plains area and sprinted to where the feast would be, hoping Clove would be ok.

We were so wrong.

Clove was laying on the ground, blood splattered on both the ground near her and on the metal wall of the cornucopia. The bags of 5, 12, and 11 were gone from the table, meaning Foxface, Luna or Adam, and Thresh was here.

I stared in horror seeing Clove's head bleeding. I ran to her and dropped my axe, holding Clove's head onto my lap as tears formed into my eyes.

"Oh my god Clove... what... how..." My voice was getting weaker and started to crack. Cato bent down to be near his District partner and held her hand. Clove looked at us with a sad smile.

"Thresh... I was pretty unlucky." She laughed a little, coughing up blood at the same time.

Tears started to fall down all of our faces. I carefully massaged Clove's head to make her feel as relaxed as she could before she died. We all knew she would die soon.

"I should've gone, I should've went instead of you-" Clove interrupted me again.

"No, you needed to stay. You had to." She looked over to Cato and gave him a knowing sad smile, her breaths becoming more shallow.

"C-Can you sing?" She asked me. Tears cascaded down my face as I nodded. "Of course."

I never really took pride in my singing. It was more of a coping method for me. But singing for Clove as her final wish is something I will definitely do. I took a deep breaths before I began a lullaby/tune I used to sing when I was younger.

"You've got to give a little,
Take a little,
And let your poor heart break a little,
That's the story of, that's the glory of love"

Clove slowly looked up at the sun and smiled while I sang, Cato rubbed her hand softly while I stroked her hair.

"You've got to laugh a little,
Cry a little,
Until the clouds roll by a little,
That's the story of, that's the glory of love"

Clove also started to sing softly with me. She must've known this song too.

"As long as there's the two of us,
We've got the world and all it's charms

And when the world is through with us,
We've got each other's arms

You've got to win a little,
Lose a little,
And always have the blues a little,
That's the story of, that's the glory of love"

As I finished the song, the light in Clove's eyes diminished, her heartbeat stopped, and her breathing felt silent. I slowly closed her eyes so it would look like she was dreaming peacefully.

All of a sudden, the heaviness in my heart got worse, and the wave of anguish and sadness crashed into me. Clove, my friend, ruthless killer or not, was dead. A scream sounded from my throat, the feeling of hopelessness was all I could think at the moment. I zipped Clove's jacket and sobbed as loud as my lungs could let me. Cato himself was crying and pulled me into his chest. We cried together for so long until we weren't able to cry anymore.

We can't do anything. Clove was dead. Clove was dead because the Capitol brought this to us. This isn't hope, nor generosity. This is torture. Not just for me and Cato. Probably for District 2 and her family. Maybe they don't care, but she meant a lot to me.

When we stopped crying, I picked up Clove while Cato retrieved our bags. We walked back into the forest and I laid her on a clearing. I noticed a field of lilac flowers nearby and went to go pick them. I sat down next to her and arranged the flowers like a memorial. I made a flower crown and put it on Clove's head.

I kissed her forehead before getting up and raised 3 fingers in the air, thumb over my pinky. It was a symbol of saying goodbye to someone in a funeral, and now was the perfect time. Cato had done the same thing, and we hoped our message got across to District 2. Cato then helped lead me away from Clove, to where a hovercraft will take her and fix her up before sending her back to District 2.

We moved a couple miles away before stopping and looked at each other. We both contained tear-stained faces, puffy red eyes and looked miserable. I pulled out a sleeping bag and he nodded, getting one of his own.

Before I could think twice, I tapped Cato's shoulder and he turned towards me. "Can I sleep with you tonight?" My broken voice asked. I felt Cato tense up a little before nodding to me.

He let me in the sleeping bag first, and then slid in after me, holding me in his arms, trying to cradle me to sleep. I felt him caress my hair and back while I buried my face in his chest, trying not to cry again.

Soon, the scent of Cato lulled me to sleep.

I'm sad that Clove died she was one of my favourite characters so you get this. If you don't like Clove I'm sorry but she's my queen so- 😭