awkward

ATHENA POV

Dinner was set up and the fire was burning bright. Music was playing in the background and the buzz of energy was so high you could feel and taste it. Everyone was sitting at the tables outside and talking excitedly. Only one was missing. Warric.

Since we couldn't start without him I decided it would be easiest to just go tell him everything was ready. He won't come out of his office unless you make him and we would be waiting all night to eat. So I nervously went to the office. I knocked softly but heard no movement inside. Quietly opening the door and not knowing how welcome I would be invading his space I quickly stepped inside. The light was on and papers were neatly spread across the desk and a sleeping Warric was slumped over. Hesitantly I reached my hand out and ran my hand over his muscular shoulder loving the electric current I always feel with him. He didn't stir at all so I gave into the need to run my fingers through his messy hair. The dark locks were so soft between my fingers.

After indulging in my guilty pleasure I gently rubbed my hand along his back and spoke softly to him. "Warric, dinner is done. Please come join us." To myself I added join me to the end of the sentence.

I heard him groan and he shifted under my hands. Quickly I jerked my hands back before he knew I was touching him sticking them behind my back as he looked up at me, his eyes still clouded with sleep.

A zing of excitement burst through my body as his eyes connected with mine. As soon as he recognized I was standing in front of him he jumped to his feet awkwardly clearing his throat and liking everywhere but at me.  "Dinner is done. Would you please join us?" I asked quietly wishing he would just look at me so I knew what he was thinking.

He started gathering things on his desk clearing his throat a second time. "Oh. Ah,  yea.. Yes. I'll be out in a few minutes." He then turned his back on me to put things away and I took it as my dismissal.

Of course he doesn't want me. He wouldn't even look at me. Probably trying to figure out how to break it to me that he doesn't want a weak mate.

I slipped out the door and felt the sting of tears in my eyes and ran to my bathroom before anyone seen me. I looked at my reflection in the mirror just as tears spilled down my cheeks. I grabbed a wash rag and ran it under cold water before carefully washing signs of my crying from my face. Blowing a deep breath out I had to remind myself to look on the bright side. I was going to be able to stay here. Even if he didn't want me as a mate his wolf would be in pain to reject me and have me so far away. I just have to keep telling myself that seeing him every day would be enough. The others would still be here and I wouldn't be homeless.

I walked from my bathroom and grabbed my black sweatshirt in hopes of hiding my bright green bloodshot from crying eyes. They did have exceptional eyesight and would notice my tears straight away.

I finished pulling on my sweatshirt as I got to the back door. Closing the door softly I walked out to the back yard. Everyone was still sitting at the tables except Warric was talking to Jiro not far in front of me. I had just came within ear shot and caught the end of his conversation to Jiro.

"...the council about the bond breaking ceremony in the morning. First thing."

I froze. There it was. My answer. Nobody noticed I was outside yet so I bolted to the first tree. I wound between trees and I made my way back to the house and to the closest door. Once I was inside and the door was closed without a sound I slid to the floor.

"Don't cry. Don't cry." I kept telling myself.   He doesn't want me. Is there really a ceremony to break our bond? My chest constricted in pain. Forcing myself to get off the floor I walked to the kitchen. I wasn't going to think about the end of my happiness when there was still a celebration for the other newly mated couple to be had.

"I need something to give as an excuse for why I'm still inside.." I whispered. Serving spoons. I'll grab extra spoons. I grabbed them and ran to the door plastering a smile onto my face and making sure the door made enough noise behind me to announce my arrival.

"Hey guys! I just grabbed a few extra spoons!" I said as cheery as I could while holding them up like a prize.
Looking at the group sitting at the table my smile started to wobble at the sight of HIM.

Keep it together girl. Don't fall apart yet.

**********
Hey guys! Just a quick note. Hope you enjoy the small update. I've been working on this chapter for months and last night I had to rewrite about half because it got deleted. So fingers crossed it's okay (Even though it's shorter)